West Oahu Highlights
Send West Oahu items to email@example.com or fax them to 585-6324 by Feb. 19 to be considered for the Feb. 26 edition.
* E-READING Kapolei Library hosts a free class on “Downloadable Ebooks & Audiobooks and Zinio-online Magazines” at 6:30 p.m. Feb. 18. Call 693-7050.
* ENTREPRENEURS FilCom Center hosts the free Magnegosyo Entrepreneurship workshop “Introduction to Government Contracting” with Claus Prufer at 6 p.m. Feb. 18 at 94-428 Mokuola St. in Waipahu. Call 680-0451.
* BLOOD DRIVES Hawaii Blood Bank has donor drives from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Feb. 19 at Ronald Moon Kapolei Courthouse, 8:30 a.m.-3 p.m. Feb. 20 at Leeward Community College, and 9 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Feb. 22 at Calvary Chapel gym on Komo Mai Drive in Aiea. Call 848-4770.
* HEALTH CARE Kapolei Library hosts a free talk on Affordable Care with Kokua Marketplace assister Wendy Nakayama at 3 p.m. Feb. 19. Nakayama also offers individual assistance from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Feb. 20 and 21 at the library. Call 693-7050.
* BUSINESS TIPS Consultants from the U.S. Small Business Administration meet by appointment with small-biz owners from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Feb. 20 at the Ewa Beach branch of Central Pacific Bank. For a free 30-minute, confidential discussion, call Mary Dale at 541-2990, ext. 211.
* ‘WAR’S END’ Kapolei High students partner with Kapolei Library to present “Images at War’s End” now through Feb. 22 at the library, offering photos and memorabilia from the USS Missouri. Call 693-7050.
* AQUAPONICS HappyPonics Farm staff presents a workshop on Economical Aquaponics at 10:30 a.m. Feb. 22 at Halawa Xeriscape Garden, 99-1268 Iwaena St. Fee is $5. Call 748-5363 before 2 p.m. Feb. 21.
* KIAWE BEANSVince Dodge of ‘Ai Pohaku and Kiawe Youth intern Joshua Morimoto lead a workshop about the kiawe tree, its history and nutritional benefits from 9 a.m. to noon Feb. 22 at ‘Ilima at Leihano, 891 Kama’aha Ave. in Kapolei. Fee is $15 per person or $40 for families of up to three people. Call 220-4166 or visit malamalearningcenter.org to register.
* GEEK DAY Leeward Community College offers free public workshops on technology and digital life during its fifth annual Geek Day from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Feb. 22. Registration begins at 9:30 a.m. Also planned are door prizes, a digital cafe (for apps), photography sessions and “Appy” hour. Call 455-0524. * BUSINESS FAIR Leeward Community College hosts the 2014 Hawaii Small Business Fair from 8 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Feb. 22 with free workshops in its theatre courtyard. Space is limited. Call 945-1430 or 694-8332.
* POUHALA HELP Hawaii Nature Center volunteers help clean up and restore Pouhala Marsh from 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. Feb. 22, meeting at the wetland habitat by Pearl Harbor. Call 955-0100, ext. 118.
* RECYCLING Our Savior Lutheran School has a Going Green recycling drive from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Feb. 22 at 98-1098 Moanalua Road. For curbside pickup, call Judy at 497-8815; for free car towing and other details, call 291-6151.
* GABBARD HOUR State Sen. Mike Gabbard hosts a Listen Story hour at 9 a.m. Feb. 22 at Ewa Mahiko District Park on Renton Road. Call 586-6830.
* CLUTTER Simply Organized sponsors a free FreedomRail workshop at 1 p.m. Feb. 22 and “Organize your Kitchen Space” March 1 in its Kapolei store on Kamokila Boulevard. Call 693-8888.
* FARM TALK Local farmers discuss their experiences with the public during Leeward Community College’s free “AgCurious” program from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. Feb. 25 in Room 105 of GT building. The event is part of the school’s GoFarm@LCC training program. RSVP to 455-0401.
* E-LEARNING Kapolei Library hosts a free class on e-learning at 6:30 p.m. Feb. 25 for all library card carriers. Call 693-7050.
* NEIGHBORS Pearl City Neighborhood Board meets at 7 p.m. Feb. 25 at Waiau District Park, Makakilo-Kapolei-Honokai Hale at 7 p.m. Feb. 26 in Kapolei High cafeteria, Waipahu at 7 p.m. Feb. 27 at FilCom Center, and Aiea at 7:30 p.m. March 10 in the Aiea Library conference room. Call 768-3710.
* AIEA ROTARY Pearl-ridge Rotary Club meets weekly at 11:30 a.m. at Pearl Country Club. Guest speaker for Feb. 28 is Cindy Chang on vocational tours. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* AIEA HIKE Hawaiian Trail & Mountain Club leads a 9.3-mile advanced ridge hike in Aiea at 8 a.m. March 2, and a 3-mile novice hike to Waimano Pool at 8 a.m. March 8. Visit htmclub.org.
* EATING RIGHT Kaiser Permanente presents free Senior Summit talks with a dietitian on “Enjoy the Taste of Eating Right” at 11:15 a.m. March 5 at Leeward YMCA in Waipahu (671-6495), and at 10 a.m. March 10 at its Waipio Clinic on Moaniani Street (432-2235).
* COMPOST Halawa Xeriscape Garden has a hands-on workshop on bokashi composting at 10:30 a.m. March 8 at 99-1268 Iwaena St. Fee is $10, and registration closes March 7. Call 748-5363.
* TAIKO FEST Pacific Buddhist Academy presents its eighth annual taiko festival, “Secrets of the Golden Dragon,” at 4 p.m March 8 at Leeward Community College Theatre. Tickets cost $25 and $20, or $35 at the door. Call 532-2649.
* HO’OLAULEA Prince Kuhio Community Center marks its second anniversary during a free ho’olaulea from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. March 8, featuring makahiki games, an imu and luau food workshop, hula, vendors and crafts in the Department of Hawaiian Home Lands parking lot, 91-1270 Kinoiki St. Call 291-0842.
* SOCCER CAMP The “I Got Skills” spring break soccer camp is set for from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. March 17-21 at Central Oahu Regional Park for boys and girls ages 6 to 14 years old. Visit igotskills.com.
* ROTARY TALK U.S. Rep. Colleen Hanabusa is guest speaker at the Kapolei Rotary Club’s 7:30 a.m. meeting March 20 in the Kapolei High faculty lounge. Email email@example.com.
* IMMIGRATION FilCom Center hosts a U.S. Immigration community outreach program from 9 to 10 a.m. each Saturday through March 8 at 94-428 Mokuola St. Call 680-0451.
* ALZHEIMER HELP An Alzheimer’s support group meets at 7 p.m. on the third Monday of each month at St. Timothy’s Episcopal Church in Aiea. Call 591-2771.
* FLEA MARKET Hawaii Self Storage conducts a flea market/swap meet from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. every Friday and Saturday at 2009 Lauwiliwili St. in Kapolei with new items daily and plenty of vendors. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* HULA WAIPAHU No Kealoha O Hula halau offers adult beginner classes at 6 p.m. and intermediate classes at 7 p.m. Wednesdays in Village Park. Fee is $25 plus a refundable $25 deposit. Call instructor Desiree Numango at 478-0404.
* ADOPTING PETS Hawaii Dog Foundation hosts pet adoptions from noon to 2 p.m. every Sunday at Petco Pearl City. Call 782-8387.
* HABITAT HELP Habitat for Humanity Leeward Oahu seeks volunteers to help with its mission of self-built housing for low-income families in Kapolei, Ewa Beach and Waianae. For more information, call Toni Anduha at 696-7882.
* SPRING FOOTBALL Hawaii Islanders seeks players 8 to 14 years old for 2014 Spring Tackle Football for boys, as well as coaches and team moms, for the Pearl City, Aiea and Moanalua areas. Call or text 352-5294.
* WELLNESS Shizendo ki method founder Hideo Kimura conducts classes in Ki Wellness at 6 p.m. Mondays and Fridays, and classes in Aikido for Seniors at 7:30 p.m. Mondays and Fridays at Aiea Soto Mission. Free trials are allowed. The mission is located at 99-045 Kauhale St. Call 671-1422.