West Oahu Highlights
Below are highlights of what’s coming up in West Oahu. Fax items to 585-6324 or email email@example.com one week ahead of the Wednesday publication date.
* DANCING The Pearlridge chapter of Hawaii Ballroom Dance Association registers students March 20, 27, April 3 and 10 for classes that begin at 7 p.m. April 3 at Waimalu Elementary School. Styles are samba, foxtrot and West Coast swing. Call 488-3935.
* HART HEARING The City Council conducts a hearing at 10 a.m. March 21 at Honolulu Hale on whether to repeal the Honolulu Authority for Rail Transportation. Call Councilman Tom Berg’s office at 768-5001.
* BLOOD DRIVES Hawaii Blood Bank has donor drives from 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. March 22 in the Waipahu High School chorus room, from 7:15 a.m. to 2 p.m. March 25 at Waikele Center. Call 845-9966.
* NEIGHBORS Waipahu Neighborhood Board meets at 7 p.m. March 22 at the FilCom Center, Pearl City meets at 7 p.m. March 27 at Waiau District Park and Makakilo-Kapolei-Honokai Hale meets at 7 p.m. March 28 at Kapolei High cafeteria. Call 768-3710.
* CAR SEAT SAFETY Kaiser Permanente conducts free child car and booster seat inspections from 3:30 to 6:30 p.m. March 23 at its Waipio clinic, 94-1480 Moaniani St. Call 432-2260.
* RELAY FOR LIFE The American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life comes to Leeward Community College from 6 p.m. March 23 to 7 a.m.
March 24, raising awareness and funds to fight cancer. For details or to offer help, call Georgette at 450-7707.
* GABBARD MEETS State Sen. Mike Gabbard holds a Listen Story with constituents at 9 a.m. March 24 at the Kapolei Starbucks. Call 586-6830.
* STARTUP SEMINAR Nolan Yogi and Ted Ketcham present a seminar on “Legal and Accounting Matters for Small Businesses” at 10:30 a.m. March 24 at Kapolei Library, designed especially for startups and ongoing businesses. Call 693-7050.
* HOLIDAY All area libraries are closed March 26 for Prince Kuhio Day. Call 831-6866.
* GMO TOWN HALL City Councilman Tom Berg hosts a town hall meeting on GMOs and environmental injustice at 6 p.m. March 29 at Nanaikapono Elementary School in Nanakuli. Call 768-5001.
* FAMILY FUN Aiea High School hosts a Family Fun Fair to mark its 50th anniversary from 4 to 9 p.m. March 30 with food, rides, crafts, a petting zoo, pony rides, entertainment, games, country store and more. Scrip is 50 cents. Park at Aiea Elementary for a nominal fee. Call Nancy at 382-7713.
* CAR SEAT SAFETY Kapiolani Medical Center hosts a free Keiki Car Seat Check from 10 a.m. to noon March 31 in the Sears parking lot at Pearlridge Center. Call 488-0981.
* CRAFT FAIR Kapolei Project Grad has its spring craft fair from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. March 31, including a dancing/Zumba class (“Shake that Fitness 808”) at 8 a.m. for $10. Call 478-8582 or 753-4374.
* INTERNMENT “The Hawaii Internment Experience,” an exhibit by the Japanese Cultural Center, is open through March 31 at Kapolei Library. Call 693-7050.
* EGG DECORATING Halawa Xeriscape Garden offers “Decorate an Egg the Xeriscape Way” at 10:30 a.m. March 31. Fee is $5 per family and registration closes at 2 p.m. March 30. Call 738-5363.
* SCHOLARSHIP The deadline is March 31 to apply for Pearlridge Center’s Akamai Scholarship, open to high school juniors or seniors. Call 488-0981.
* DANCING The Kapolei chapter of Hawaii Ballroom Dance Association registers students April 2, 9 and 16 for Monday night classes that begin April 2 at Kapolei Elementary School. Styles are merengue, tango and salsa. Call 781-2076.
* FORD ISLAND RUN The 15th annual Ford Island 10K Bridge Run begins at 7 a.m. April 7, and it’s open to the public. Entries are due by March 19, but late entries are accepted until April 6. For details, call Christine at 474-2495.
* GOODWILL TAXES Goodwill’s Kapolei store has income tax assistance volunteers on duty through April 7 at 2140 Lauwiliwili St. from 4:30 to 7:30 p.m. Tuesdays and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturdays. Call 436-9948.
* TAX HELP Volunteers with AARP Foundation Tax-Aide offer free tax preparation for low-to-moderate income households through April 12 at Waipahu Civic Center, 94-275 Mokuola St. Room 102. Hours are 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays. Call 450-2549.