West Oahu Highlights
Below are highlights of what’s happening in West Oahu. Fax items to 585-6324 or email firstname.lastname@example.org one week ahead of the Wednesday publication date.
* OLD DRUGS Kaiser Waipio Clinic accepts unneeded and expired medications from 1 to 4 p.m. April 16, and the Kapolei Clinic accepts them from 1 to 4 p.m. April 19 for proper disposal. Call 432-5549.
* MASKS Yukie Shiroma conducts a 3-D mask-making workshop at 4 p.m. April 18 at Waipahu Library. Call 675-0358.
* ROTARY TALKS Roger Morton of Oahu Transit Services speaks on the changes and trends for TheBus at the Kapolei Rotary Club’s 7:30 a.m. breakfast meeting April 19 in the faculty lounge at Kapolei High School. Up next is Pali Momi Medical Center COO Jen Chahanovich April 26. Call 722-1489 or email email@example.com .
* GMO TALKS City Councilman Tom Berg hosts town hall meetings on Genetically Modified Organisms at 6 p.m. April 20 at Ewa Makai Middle School and at noon April 28 at Kapolei Middle School. For updates, call 768-5001.
* CONCERTS Aiea and Kapolei intermediate bands and orchestras entertain at 1:30 p.m. April 20 at Windward Mall center court as part of a Friendship Tour concert with two other schools. Call 235-1143.
* KUNIA MUSIC 3rd Cup Cafe & Venue in the Times’ Kunia building features music by Dave Tamaoka & Friends at 7 p.m. April 20, with slam poets scheduled for 8 p.m. April 21. Open Mic Night starts at 6 p.m. each Tuesday. Call 888-6087.
* MANANA FAIR The Manana Elementary School PTO sponsors its fifth annual spring craft fair from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. April 21 at the school. Call 454-5305.
* BIKE BLESSING The Euro Knightz Motorcycle Club holds a Blessing of the Bikes April 21 with partial proceeds going to a scholarship for a high school senior from Waipahu, Waianae or Farrington High School. The event begins at 9:30 a.m. at Keehi Lagoon Park and includes the blessing, a group ride to Kapolei, food and beverages. Call 351-8624.
* ORGANIZE Simply Organized presents a FreedomRail workshop on “Creating the Closet of your Dreams” at 1 p.m. April 21 at its Kapolei store on Kamokila Boulevard. Call 693-8888.
* FOOD DRIVE Pearl Highlands Center and Pearl City Shopping Center host regional collection drives of nonperishable items for the Hawaii Foodbank from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. April 21. Call 836-3600.
* SLACK KEY Musician Yameen Wong conducts a free class in slack key guitar at 10:30 a.m. April 21 at Kapolei Library. Call 693-7050.
* BLOOD DRIVES Hawaii Blood Bank has donor drives from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. April 21 at Iglesia Ni Cristo church, 94-592 Farrington Hwy., 7:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. April 22 at Waikele Center, and 7 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. April 22 at Foodland in Ewa Town Center. Call 845-9966.
* BOOK SALES Pearl City Library has specialized Sunday book sales from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. April 22 on hardcover nonfiction, and April 29 and May 6 on children’s books. Call 453-6566.
* HTY PLAY Pearl City Library hosts a free performance of the HTY play about tolerance, blue, at 3 p.m. April 23. Call 453-6566.
* NEIGHBORS Pearl City Neighborhood Board meets at 7 p.m. April 24 at Waiau District Park, the Makakilo-KapoleiHonokai Hale board meets at 7 p.m. April 25, and the Waipahu board meets at 7 p.m April 26. Call 768-3710.
* RAIL ON TV ‘Olelo Community Television airs the Feb. 29 town hall meeting on rail transit at 4 p.m. April 27 on channel 54 (part 1); and 12:30 p.m. April 29 on channel 54 (part 2). Call City Councilman Tom Berg at 768-5001.
* STARGAZERS The Hawaiian Astronomical Society stages a Star Party from 6 to 10 p.m. April 28 at Geiger Community Park, 1129 Kahiuka St. in Ewa Beach. Telescopes provided. For details, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* SWAP MEET Waipio Shopping Center has a swap meet from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. April 28, and community vendors are welcome to reserve space. Call Marisa at 722-6467.
* KUNIA KARAOKE Kunia Shopping Center sponsors its second “Kunia Live” singing competition from 3 to 5 p.m April 28 in the Bank of Hawaii parking lot area. Contestants should register online by April 27 at shopkunia.com.
* CRAFT FAIR Kalei’opu’u Elementary School presents its free Spring Craft Fair from 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. April 28 at 94-665 Kaaholo St. in Waipahu. Call 675-0266, ext. 282.
* KUNIA ART 3rd Cup Cafe & Venue in the Times’ Kunia building has acrylic artwork by Melani Rosario throughout April. Some sales proceeds will be donated to international missions. Call 888-6087.
* ZUMBA Waipahu United Church of Christ conducts Saturday classes in Zumba Gold for active seniors from 8:30 to 9:15 a.m., and Zumba for beginners from 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. Fee is $5. Bring towel and water. The church is located at 94-330 Mokuola St. and has an unsupervised child space for parents. Call Yukie Alvarez at 619-471-7045.