West Oahu Highlights
Below are highlights of what’s happening in West Oahu. Fax items to 585-6324 or email firstname.lastname@example.org one week ahead of the publication date.
* NEIGHBORS Aiea Neighborhood Board meets at 7:30 p.m. April 9 at Aiea Library, and Ewa meets at 7 p.m. April 12 at Ewa Beach Library. Call 768-3710.
* RAIL ON TV ‘Olelo airs the Feb. 29 town hall meeting on rail transit at 8 p.m. April 10 and 4 p.m. April 27 on channel 54 (part 1); and noon April 10 on channel 49, 8:30 p.m. April 12 and 12:30 p.m. April 29 on channel 54 (part 2). Call City Councilman Tom Berg at 768-5001.
* SLAM POETRY Award-winning Hawaii slam poet Kealoha performs at 10 a.m. April 12 at Ewa Beach Library. Call 689-1204.
* TAX HELP Volunteers with AARP Foundation Tax-Aide offer free tax preparation for low-to-moderate income residents at Waipahu Civic Center, 94-275 Mokuola St. Room 102. Hours are 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday through April 12. Call 450-2549.
* KUNIA MUSIC 3rd Cup Cafe & Venue in Kunia Shopping Center has music by Stacey and Company at 7 p.m. April 13 (percussion, guitar) and by Tony Kato and Ken Leong at 7:30 p.m. April 14 (smooth jazz). Some proceeds go to charity. Open Mic Night starts at 6 p.m. each Tuesday. Call 888-6087.
* CHEF SHOWCASE Leeward Community College’s culinary students present Chef Showcase at 6 p.m. April 13 in the Pearl restaurant, featuring specialities by Russell Siu. Tickets cost $70, or $85 with wine, and proceeds support the culinary program. Call 455-0298.
* BLOOD DRIVE Hawaii Blood Bank has a donor drive from 7 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. April 14 at Kapolei Shopping Center. Call 845-9966.
* COFFEE HOUR State Sen. Clarence Nishihara meets with constituents at 8 a.m. April 14 at the Waipahu Don Quijote for his monthly coffee hour. Call 728-1008.
* TEDDY BEARS Prevent Child Abuse Hawaii’s 15th annual Teddy Bear Drive runs from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. April 14 at Pearlridge Center. The nonprofit welcomes donations of stuffed toy bears which will be used to comfort children in need. Call 951-0200.
* TAIKO The Kenny Endo Taiko Ensemble entertains at 11 a.m. April 14 at Aiea Library. Call 483-7333.
* KAPOLEI EATS Kapolei Project Grad hosts a benefit “Eat the Street” from 3 to 8 p.m. April 14 at the high school stadium, featuring 40 food vendors and more than 20 craft booths. Call 692-8200, ext. 2246.
* CHORALE Kapolei Chorale has its annual Leeward Music Festival at 3 p.m. April 15 at Kapolei Middle School, featuring local talents and The Sounds of Aloha barbershop chorus. Call 672-8888.
* BOOK SALES Pearl City Library has specialized Sunday book sales from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m April 15 and 22 on hardcover non-fiction, and April 29 and May 6 on children’s books. Call 453-6566.
* OLD DRUGS Kaiser Waipio Clinic accepts unneeded and expired medications from 1 to 4 p.m. April 16, and the Kapolei Clinic accepts them from 1 to 4 p.m. April 19 for proper disposal. Call 432-5549.
* MASKSYukie Shiroma leads a 3-D mask-making workshop at 4 p.m. April 18 at Waipahu Library. Call 675-0358.
* BUS TALK Oahu Transit Services general manager Roger Morton discusses changes and trends for TheBus at the 7:30 a.m. April 19 breakfast meeting of Kapolei Rotary Club in Kapolei High’s faculty lounge. Email email@example.com.
* CONCERTS Aiea and Kapolei intermediate bands and orchestras entertain at 1:30 p.m. April 20 at Wind-ward Mall center court as part of a Friendship Tour Concert with two other schools. Call 235-1143.
* GMO FORUM City Councilman Tom Berg hosts a town hall meeting on Genetically Modified Organisms at 6 p.m. April 20 at Ewa Makai Middle School. Call 768-5001.
* ORGANIZE Simply Organized has a Freedom-Rail workshop on “Creating the Closet of your Dreams” at 1 p.m. April 21 at its Kapolei store on Kamokila Boulevard. Call 693-8888.
* BUDDHISTS Kapolei Buddhist Sangha conducts Sunday services at 9 a.m. at American Renaissance Academy in Kapolei, along with Dharma school for keiki. Call Rev. Bert Sumikawa at 221-9661.
* KUNIA ART 3rd Cup Cafe & Venue in Kunia Shopping Center features acrylic artwork by Melani Rosario throughout April. Partial sales proceeds will go to international missions. Call 888-6087.
* HALAWA LUNCH Halawa Xeriscape Garden offers free Brown Bag tours from noon to 12:45 p.m. each Wednesday so working folks can have a lunch break in the garden and learn conservation tips at the same time. Call 748-5363.
* ZUMBA Waipahu United Church of Christ hosts Saturday classes in Zumba Gold for active seniors from 8:30 to 9:15 a.m., and Zumba for beginners from 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. Fee is $5. The church is located at 94-330 Mokuola St. Call Yukie at 619-471-7045.
* FLAG FOOTBALL The 808 Ohana Flag Football league is registering players age 4 to 17 for the upcoming season in West Oahu. Coaches and teams also needed. Call Richard at 590-1710 or email Mark at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* KEIKI TIME Pearl City Library hosts Preschool Storytime and Crafts at 9:30 a.m. Wednesdays, Jan. 25-May 16; and Toddler Puzzletime at 9:30 a.m. Thursdays, Jan. 26-May 17. Call 453-6566.
* XERISCAPE HOURS Halawa Xeriscape Garden is open from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Wednesdays and Saturdays for self-guided tours, and it has free mulch for the public (748-5041).
* SENIOR EXERCISE Hideo Kimura leads free wellness education classes for seniors and others from noon to 2 p.m. Mondays and Fridays and from 10 a.m. to noon Wednesdays at Crestview Park building in Waipio Gentry, covering Ki energy and development, self-improvement and aikido warm-up exercises. Call 671-4838 or 671-1422.
* SOFTBALL Ewa Beach Kolohe Girls Fastpitch Softball is signing up players for its 12U and 14U teams until all rosters are filled. It also seeks a head coach and assistant coaches for the 14U teams. Call Joe at 216-6214.
* PET FOOD The Kapolei and Pearl City PETCO stores accept unopened, unexpired dry pet food for Hawaiian Humane Society to help owners better afford to feed their dogs and cats. Call 356-2217.
* STAR SIGHTINGS Ko Olina hosts “Stars Above Hawaii,” an astronomical star show at 8, 9 and 10 nightly by reservation at 291-2464.
* TOASTMASTERS Pearl City Toastmasters meet at 7 p.m. every first and third Tuesday in the Mokihana Room of Pearl-ridge Gardens & Tower (98-1042 Moanalua Road). Call 780-2066.