West Oahu Highlights
Send West Oahu items to email@example.com or fax them to 585-6324 by June 19 to be considered for the June 26 edition.
* RONALD READS McDonald’s Restaurants sponsors “Book Time with Ronald McDonald” at 10:30 a.m. June 18 at Aiea Library (483-7333) and 2:30 p.m. June 28 at Waipahu Library (675-0358).
* WAIMALU DANCE Registration is set for 7 to 8 p.m. June 18, 25 and July 2 and 9 at Waimalu Elementary School for classes in samba and waltz with the Pearlridge chapter of Hawaii Ballroom Dance Association. Classes run from 7 to 9 p.m. Tuesdays, July 2-Aug. 20, with nominal fees. Call 836-4579 or 488-3935.
* ORGANIZED Simply Organized offers a free workshop with Cynthia Arnold at 1 p.m. June 22 at its Kapolei store on Kamokila Boulevard. Topic is “Declutter Solutions: Age in Place or Move.” Call 693-8888.
* MARSH CLEANUP Hawaii Nature Center volunteers clean up Pouhala Marsh on Waipahu Depot Road from 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. June 22. Call 955-0100, ext. 118.
* FILIPINO KIDS FilCom Center has a “Filipino for Kids” cultural program from 8:30 a.m. to noon Saturdays, June 22 to July 27. Fee is $50 per student. Call 680-0451.
* BLOOD DRIVES Hawaii Blood Bank has donor drives from 7 a.m. to 1:45 p.m. June 23 at Waikele Center. Call 848-4770.
* NEIGHBORS Pearl City Neighborhood Board meets at 7 p.m. June 25 at Waiau District Park, Makakilo-Kapolei-Honokai Hale meets at 7 p.m. June 26 at Kapolei High cafeteria, and Waipahu meets at 7 p.m June 26 at the FilCom Center. Call 768-3710.
* RESOURCE DAY The U.S. Small Business Administration hosts a resource day from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. June 27 at the Ewa Beach branch of Central Pacific Bank. Call 541-2990, ext. 211, for an appointment.
* KAPOLEI BOOKS Kapolei Book Club meets at 6:30 p.m. June 27 at the Villages of Kapolei Rec Center to discuss The Great Gatsby. The group meets on the fourth Thursday of each month. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* CAREGIVERS The Caregiver Foundation sponsors a West Oahu support group from 7 to 9 p.m. June 27 at 891 Kamaaha Ave. in Kapolei. Call 625-3782.
* CAR SEATS Kaiser Permanente conducts free keiki car seat or booster seat inspections from 3:30 to 6 p.m. June 28 at its Waipio Clinic, 94-1480 Moaniani St. Preregister at 432-2260.
* ART & NATURE Malama Learning Center sponsors a workshop on “Creating your own Hawaii Pictures” from 9 a.m. to noon June 29 at Ilima At Leihano in Kapolei. Fee is $10 per person, $15 for a family of three. It highlights the Islands’ beauty through artists Georgia O’Keeffe and Ansel Adams, and teaches basic painting techniques. Call 542-9107.
* KUNIA LIVE Kunia Shopping Center brings back its Kunia Live! singing contest with the first qualifying event from 3 to 5 p.m. June 29 in the Bank of Hawaii parking lot. All ages welcome to compete for cash prizes, with the grand finale Nov. 16. Bring your own instrumental music CD. Call 753-7507.
* AQUAPONICS The Board of Water Supply and Friends of Halawa Xeriscape Garden host an Advanced Aquaponics workshop from 10:30 a.m. to noon June 29 at the Halawa Xeriscape Garden. The workshop will cover potential problems with aquaponics systems, water quality maintenance and more. Fee is $5, or free for FOHXG members. Register by 5 p.m. June 28. To register, call 748-5363 or email email@example.com.
* TRIATHLON Pacific Sport Events presents the Firecracker Sprint Triathlon from 6 to 8:30 a.m. June 30 at Nimitz Beach Park. Call Steve Foster at 864-0113.