West Oahu Highlights
Send West Oahu items by fax to 585-6324 or email firstname.lastname@example.org by Feb. 27 to be considered for the March 6 edition.
* JOB READY Leeward Community College observes Career and Technical Education (CTE) Month with activities in its job-ready training programs from noon to 1 p.m. Feb. 25 (LifeSmarts student competition) and 5:30 p.m. Feb. 27 (AA in teaching details). Also, a CTE open house is set for 9 a.m. to noon Feb. 26. Call Kathleen Cabral at 455-0524.
* BLOOD DRIVES Hawaii Blood Bank has donor drives from 8:30 a.m. to 2:45 p.m. Feb. 25 at Aiea High library, 8 a.m. to 2:45 p.m. Feb. 26 at Pearl City High multi-purpose room, 8 a.m. to 1:45 p.m. Feb. 27 at the state’s Kakuhihewa Building on Kamokila Boulevard, and 7 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. March 2 at Pearlridge Center. Call 848-4770.
* NEIGHBORS Pearl City Neighborhood Board meets at 7 p.m. Feb. 26 at Waiau District Park, the Waipahu board meets at 7 p.m. Feb. 27 at the FilCom Center on Mokuola Street, and Makakilo-KapoleiHonokai Hale meets at 7 p.m. Feb. 27 at Kapolei High cafeteria. Call 768-3710.
* KAPOLEI ROTARY Kapolei Rotary Club meets at 7:30 a.m. Feb. 28 at the U.S. Coast Guard Station at Barbers Point, followed by a tour of the station’s aircraft. Email email@example.com.
* CAREGIVERS The Caregiver Foundation sponsors a support group from 7 to 9 p.m. Feb. 28 at its Kapolei offices. Call 625-3782.
* IMMIGRATION The FilCom Center hosts a free public outreach program at 9 a.m. March 2 on “Getting a Passport.” Call 680-0451.
* PIANO TALK Internationally acclaimed pianist Jeffrey Siegel presents “Keyboard Conversations: Gershwin and Friends” at 8 p.m. March 2 at Leeward Community College Theatre, including discussion of each piece. Tickets cost $30, $25, $23 and $15. Call 455-0385.
* MANANA SALE The Manana School Chorus plans a benefit garage and plant sale from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. March 2 in the elementary school cafeteria, 1147 Kumano St., featuring items from more than 50 families. Call 722-7289.
* NISHIHARA TALK State Sen. Clarence Nishihara hosts coffee hours at 8 a.m. March 2 at the Pearl City McDonald’s (in Walmart), at 9 a.m. at the Pearl City Gateway McDonald’s on Kuala Street; and 8 a.m. March 9 at the Waipahu Don Quijote. Call 728-1008.
* SENIOR DIET Kaiser Permanente sponsors a free Senior Summit talk on nutrition facts at 11:30 a.m. March 6 at Leeward YMCA on Mokuola Street (671-6495), and at 10 a.m. March 11 at its Waipio Clinic on Moaniani Street (432-2235).
* AIEA BOOK CLUB The Aiea Book Club meets at 6:30 p.m. March 7 at the Aiea Library to discuss Georgia O’Keefe’s Hawaii by Patricia Jennings and Maria Ausherman. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* PARENTING TEENS The Parent Project, “Empowering Parents, Transforming Teens,” will begin a 10-week course March 7 at Waiau Elementary School library. Classes meet from 6 to 9 p.m. Thursdays and will cover arguing, alcohol, drug use, school attendance and performance, and family resources. It’s free, but materials cost $24. Call June at 753-8135.
* LIFEGUARDS The Veterans Memorial Aquatic Center conducts a lifeguard training course March 8, 15, 17 and 24 at Central Oahu Regional Park in Waipio. It’s a blended learning course that has online/hands-on skills. Call aquatic director Ruthie Heuton at 677-8510.
* KRISTIAN LEI West Oahu entertainer and Broadway singer Kristian Lei presents a concert and solo album release at 7:30 p.m. March 9 at Leeward Community College Theater, featuring Honolulu Broadway Babies and a surprise guest star. Tickets cost $50, $35 and $25. Call 979-6557.
* GREEN DAY Pearl City Project Grad seeks vendors for its March 16 Green Day Garage Sale and Fair (9 a.m. to 2 p.m.). Fee is $50 per outside booth and $25 per student booth. Submit applications by Feb. 28 for the fair, which has a theme of “reuse, recycle, reinvent and renew.” Call 778-2752, 722-5101 or email@example.com .
* KARTING John Ledesma leads karting clinics from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. on the third Tuesday of each month through December at Podium Raceway, 91-1085 Lexington St., Building 1844 in Kapolei. Fee is $45 per session. Call 682-7223 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* KART RACES The Super Quick Racing League sponsors 14-lap kart races at 6:30 p.m. on the second and fourth Tuesday of each month at Podium Raceway, 91-1085 Lexington St. Building 1844 in Kapolei. Fee is $45 for three races. Call 682-7223 or email email@example.com m. * STORYTIME Waipahu Library has a storytime for ages 3 to 5 at 10:30 a.m. Thursdays through March 28. Each session offers a short craft project, puzzles or educational toys. Call 675-0358.
* AARP TAX PREP Foundation Tax-Aide offers free tax preparation help for low-to-moderate income individuals and families from 9 a.m. to noon Tuesdays at Waipahu Civic Center and from 9 a.m. to noon Thursdays at Kroc Center in Ewa Beach. The sessions run through April 11. Call 450-2549.