West Oahu Highlights
Below are highlights of what’s coming up in West Oahu. Fax items to 585-6324 or email email@example.com one week ahead of the Wednesday publication date.
* PAU HANA Kapolei Middle School is the venue for Pau Hana with Congressman Ed Case from 6 to 7:30 p.m. July 9. Call 389-5081.
* SKIN CARE Kaiser Permanente’s Waipio Clinic presents a free Senior Summit lecture on Basic Skin Care with licensed aesthetician Dawnelle Sunada at 10 a.m. July 9 at 94-1480 Moaniani St. Call 432-2235.
* BIO-SAFETY UH Manoa and medical school officials brief the public from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. July 11 at Kapolei High cafeteria on plans to build the Pacific Health Research Laboratory (for bio-safety studies and vaccine development) on two acres of land at Kalaeloa. Go to phrl.hawaii.edu.
* NEIGHBORS Aiea Neighborhood Board meets at 7 p.m. July 9 at Aiea Library, and Ewa meets at 7 p.m. July 12 at Ewa Beach Library. Call 768-3710.
* BLOOD DRIVES Hawaii Blood Bank has donor drives from 6:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. July 9 at the Pearl City Police Station squad room, 7:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m. July 14 at Kapolei Shopping Center by Safeway, and 7 a.m.-1:30 p.m. July 15 at Ewa Town Center Foodland. Call 848-4770.
* BALLROOM Kapolei’s Ballroom Dance chapter registers students July 9 and 16 at Kapolei Elementary cafeteria for classes in nightclub two-step, waltz and mambo. Classes started July 2, and meet for eight Monday nights. For details, call 781-2076.
* BALLROOM Pearl-ridge’s Ballroom Dance chapter registers students at 7 p.m. July 10 at Waimalu Elementary School for classes in merengue, tango and salsa. Classes meet at 7 p.m. Tuesdays for eight weeks at the school beginning July 3. Call 488-3935.
* BALLROOM Pearl City’s Ballroom Dance chapter registers students from 7 to 8 p.m. July 10 at Manana Elementary cafeteria for classes in merengue, tango and salsa. Classes meet at 7 p.m. Tuesdays for eight weeks at the school beginning July 3. Call 456-2129.
* ESTATE PLANS The Salvation Army’s Kroc Corps Community Center hosts a free Lunch & Learn seminar on estate planning and charitable giving from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. July 11 at 91-3275 Kualakai Parkway in Ewa Beach. Call 440-1865.
* KIEWIT HEARING The city Planning Commission conducts a public hearing at 1:30 p.m. July 11 in the Mission Memorial conference room on a request from Kiewit Infrastructure West Co. to allow a temporary construction and maintenance yard (for rail transit) on AG-1 land near Farrington Highway and Pipeline Road in Ewa. Call 768-8007.
* ROLLER DERBY Aloha City Rollers conducts a boot camp for qualified new skaters beginning July 11. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* TECH TALK Hawaii Technology Academy, a K-12 “blended” charter school, hosts a meet-and-greet at 2 p.m. July 12 at its learning center, 94-810 Moloalo St. in Waipahu for interested families. Call 676-5444.
* HART TALK Dan Grabauskas, executive director for HART, is guest speaker at 7:30 a.m. July 12 at the Kapolei Rotary Club meeting in the Kapolei High School faculty lounge. Email email@example.com.
* SMALL BUSINESS The U.S. Small Business Administration sponsors SBA Resource Days for free confidential consultations with specialists from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. July 12 at the Pearlridge branch of American Savings Bank and July 25 at the Pearl Highlands branch of Central Pacific Bank. Call 541-2990, ext. 211.
* CHARITY GOLF The Joshua Neves Children’s Foundation sponsors its second annual Charity Golf Tournament at noon July 13 at Hawaii Prince Golf Club. Fee is $145 per person or $435 for three-player team, and proceeds support bereavement programs for Hawaii families who have lost a child. Max and Erica Neves’ 3-year-old son Joshua died suddenly of swine flu in 2009. Register at nevesfoundation.org or call 292-2304.
* KUNIA MUSIC 3rd Cup Cafe & Venue presents Open Mic Night at 7:30 p.m. July 13 and 27 on the second floor of the Times building in Royal Kunia. Call 888-6087.
* BON DANCES Waipahu Hongwanji celebrates the obon season with dancing at 7 p.m. (after 6 p.m. service) July 13-14 at 94-821 Kuhaulua St. (677-4221); Rissho Kosei-kai Buddhist Church of Hawaii has dancing from 6 to 9:30 p.m. July 13-14 at 2280 Auhuhu St. in Pearl City (455-3212).
* FRINGE FUNDS Pearl City High School’s drama department presents summer benefit shows at 7 p.m. July 13-14 and 27-28 at Pearl City Cultural Center to help pay for its 26-student troupe to attend the Fringe Festival in Scotland next year. Admission is $10 plus a $10 donation. Call 429-7647 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* ORGANIZED Simply Organized has a free workshop on “Crafty Organization” with Donna Glatzel at 1 p.m. July 14 at its Kapolei store, 889 Kamokila Blvd. Call 529-5801.
* COFFEE HOUR State Sen. Clarence Nishihara meets residents for a coffee hour at 8 a.m. July 14 at the Waipahu Don Quijote. Call 728-1008.
* COSTUME PARTY Chris the Clown hosts a Hall of Heroes costume party for ages 12 and younger from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m July 14 at Pearlridge Center Uptown, featuring a costume contest, a dozen local cartoon artists, balloon creations, prizes and entertainment. Call 488-0981.
* ZUMBA GOLD Pearl-ridge Center offers free Zumba Gold classes from 8 to 9:15 a.m. July 14, 21 and 28 Uptown, second level in the former Borders space. Call 488-0981.
* COURSE DEADLINE Deadline is July 15 to register for Leeward Community College’s “Men in Transition” fall course, which will meet at noon Fridays. Classes begin in late August. Go to leeward.hawaii.edu.
* MARINA MEETING City Councilman Tom Berg sponsors a town hall meeting from 6 to 8 p.m. July 18 at Ewa Beach Library on Haseko’s plan to omit a marina and add a pool to its Ewa Beach development project. Call 768-5001.
* HEALING Grand-master Hong Liu presents a free program on natural healing of respiratory illnesses at 12:30 p.m. July 18 at Aiea Elementary cafeteria, including herbal patches, exercise and nutrition tips. Call 533-1333.
* SCHOOL DRIVES State Rep. Henry Aquino sponsors his second annual school supply drive from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. July 21 at Waipahu Town Center by longs, to collect items for August Ahrens and Waipahu elementary school students. For specific items needed, call 586-6520.
* BRITISH SOCCER A British Coaches Youth Soccer Camp is planned for July 23-27 at Waiau Recreation Field. Call Carol Horvath at 800-878-2167, ext. 239 or go to challengersports.com.
* FAIR VENDORS The Ewa Beach Emergency Preparedness Fair seeks vendors and sponsors for its second annual event Sept. 8. Email email@example.com or call 682-0111.