West Oahu Highlights
Below are highlights of what’s happening in West Oahu. Fax items to 585-6324 or email email@example.com one week ahead of the Wednesday publication date.
* BENEFIT Big City Diner in Waipio, Pearlridge and elsewhere hosts a fundraiser June 18 for its former cook Melarie Templo and will donate a percentage of each meal check to her medical fund that day. She has a rare form of brain cancer. Call 263-8880.
* ART ENTRIES Oahu Arts Center accepts entries until June 18 for an art show it will sponsor at Kapolei Hale Art Gallery July 2-25. Call Corinne Gallardo Mata at 271-1344.
* BALLROOM The Pearlridge Ballroom Dance chapter registers students at 7 p.m. June 19, 26 and July 3 and 10 for classes that begin July 3 at Waimalu Elementary School (Tuesdays 7-9 p.m.) in merengue, tango and salsa. Call 488-3935.
* THE RONALD “Book Time with Ronald McDonald” comes to Waipahu Library at 2:30 p.m. June 20 (675-0358), to Pearl City Library at 1 p.m. June 26 (453-6566) and to Ewa Beach Library at 10:30 a.m. June 29 (689-1204).
* UNCLE WAYNE Kapolei Library presents “Sing Along with Uncle Wayne” at 10:30 a.m. June 21. Call 693-7050.
* ROTARY TALK Charles Djou is guest speaker at Kapolei Rotary Club’s 7:30 a.m. breakfast meeting June 21 in the faculty lounge at Kapolei High School. The former state, city and U.S. lawmaker will discuss his candidacy for the U.S. House. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 722-1489.
* FENG SHUI Clear Englebert, author of Feng Shui for Hawai’i Gardens, discusses his favorite topic at 6:30 p.m. June 21 at Aiea Library and 10:30 a.m. June 23 at Kapolei Library. A portion of book-sale proceeds at the lectures will go to Friends of the Library. Call the author at 328-0329.
* SENIOR FAIR Hawaii Okinawa Center sponsors a free Senior Health & Fitness Fair from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. June 22 at 94-587 Ukee St. in Waipio with prizes, exhibits and workshops. Call 676-5400.
* CAR SEATS Kaiser Permanente’s Waipio Clinic sponsors free child car seat and booster seat inspections for the public from 3:30 to 6 p.m. June 22 at 94-1480 Moaniani St. For an appointment, call 432-2260.
* KUNIA MUSIC 3rd Cup Cafe & Venue has Open Mic Night at 6 p.m. June 22, and hosts Tony Kato and Ken Leong’s smooth jazz at 7:30 p.m. June 23 on the second floor of the Times building in Royal Kunia. Call 888-6087.
* DRILL TEAM Drill Team Hawaii and The First Priority present the team’s 12th annual dance showcase at 7 p.m. June 22 and 5 p.m. June 23 at Pearl City Cultural Center. Tickets cost $15 in advance and $18 at the door. Call 258-4864.
* BIRD SHOW Backyard Flyers presents the Ewa Bird Show from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. June 23 at Ewa Elementary School, 91-1280 Renton Road, featuring chickens, pigeons, koi, goldfish, canaries, finches, small animals, a BMX bike show, a Kid Zone and 15 vendors. Call 778-3230.
* WAIMANO HIKE The Hawaiian Trail & Mountain Club leads a 14-mile advanced hike along a graded trail to the summit of Waimano at 8 a.m. June 24. Go to htmclub.org. * RABBIT CLUB Hawaii All-Breed Rabbit Club meets at 1 p.m. June 24 at Blaisdell Park in Pearl City. Fans of purebred rabbit raising are welcome, and so are rabbits (in cages). Email email@example.com.
* BLOOD DRIVES Hawaii Blood Bank has donor drives from 7 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. June 24 at Waikele Shopping Center, 7 to 10:45 a.m. June 26 at Tesoro Hawaii, 8 a.m. to 3:15 p.m. June 28 at Leeward Community College, and 10 a.m. to 2:15 p.m. June 28 at Ihilani Resort’s Malolo Room at Ko Olina. Call 848-4770.
* MAKING MASKS Professional mask-maker Yuki Shiroma presents a free mask-making workshop at 2 p.m. June 26 at Waipahu Library for ages 8 and older. Call 675-0358.
* NEIGHBORS Pearl City Neighborhood Board meets at 7 p.m. June 26 at Waiau District Park, Makakilo-Kapolei-Honokai Hale meets at 7 p.m. June 27 at Kapolei High cafeteria, and Waipahu meets at 7 p.m. June 28 at the Filcom Center. Call 768-3710.
* KUNIA LIVE Singers age 6 and older may compete for prizes in the next Kunia Live contest, set for 3 to 5 p.m. June 30 at Kunia Shopping Center in the Bank of Hawaii parking lot. Register by 5 p.m. June 29 at shopkunia.com. Walk-ins will be accepted up to 2 p.m. June 30, space available.
* PANTHERS Waipio Panthers, a nonprofit youth football league, signs up players ages 5 to 13 through the end of June for flag and tackle football (depending on age). Teams practice at C.O.R.P. and other sites. Email the league at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* BALLROOM Kapolei’s Ballroom Dance chapter begins classes July 2 for eight Monday nights at Kapolei Elementary School with instruction in nightclub two-step, waltz and mambo. Call 781-2076.
* BALLROOM Pearl City’s Ballroom Dance chapter registers students from 7 to 8 p.m. July 3 and 10 at Manana Elementary cafeteria for classes in tango, merengue and salsa. Classes meet at 7 p.m. Tuesdays at the school for eight weeks beginning July 3. Call 456-2129.
* CHARITY GOLF The Joshua Neves Children’s Foundation sponsors its second annual Charity Golf Tournament at noon July 13 at Hawaii Prince Golf Club. Fee is $145 per person or $435 for three-player teams, and proceeds support bereavement programs for Hawaii families who have lost a child. Max and Erica Neves’ 3-year-old son Joshua died suddenly of swine flu in 2009. Register at nevesfoundation.org or call 292-2304.
* SCHOLAR GOLF Hawaii Lodging & Tourism Association has its annual scholarship golf tournament at 11:30 a.m. July 26 at Pearl Country Club. Registration deadline is July 13. Call 923-0407.
* KEIKI KANE On Saturdays through June 30, Keiki Kani Music Studio in Aiea presents “Music for Kids,” a preview of how music enriches children’s lives. Call 487-2275.
* LEEWARD SOCCER The Leeward AYSO Region is registering players ages 5 to 18 for the fall season. Teams play in Ewa Beach, Kapolei, Makakilo and Waianae. Call 696-8889 or email email@example.com.