West Oahu Highlights
Below are highlights events in West Oahu. Fax items to 585-6324 or email firstname.lastname@example.org one week ahead of the Wednesday publication date.
* ROTARY Professional organizer Denise Mazzanti is guest speaker at the Rotary Club of Kapolei Sunset meeting at 5:30 p.m. June 4 at Roy’s Ko Olina, second floor. Cost for the light dinner is $20. RSVP to email@example.com.
* BOOK TIME Aiea Library presents “Book Time with Ronald McDonald” at 10:30 a.m. June 5. Call 483-7333.
* BALLROOM The Pearlridge Ballroom Dance chapter registers students at 7 p.m. June 5, 12, 19, 26 and July 3 and 10 for classes that begin July 3 at Waimalu Elementary School (Tuesdays 7-9 p.m.) in merengue, tango and salsa. Call 488-3935.
* CONTRACTS The Small Business Administration runs a free workshop on federal government contracting for small business owners from 9 a.m. to noon June 6 at Kapolei Hale. To register, call Mary Dale at 541-2990, ext. 211.
* RETIRING TIPS Trina Simeona discusses how to prepare for retirement at 6 p.m. June 6 at Aiea Library. Call 356-9300.
* GABBARD State Sen. Michael Gabbard hosts a “listen story” at 9 a.m. June 6 at the Kapolei Starbucks. Call 586-6830.
* ROTARY TALK Hawaii Credit Union League president and CEO Dennis Tanimoto is guest speaker at Kapolei Rotary Club’s 7:30 a.m. breakfast meeting June 7 in the faculty lounge at Kapolei High School. Call 722-1489 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* BLOOD DRIVES Hawaii Blood Bank has donor drives from 7 to 11:15 a.m. June 7 at Kapolei Bank of Hawaii, 7:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m. June 9 at Kapolei Shopping Center, 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. June 12 at Pali Momi Medical Center’s first-floor conference room, and from 8:30 a.m. to 1:15 p.m. June 12 at Youth Challenge Academy in Kalaeloa. Call 848-4770.
* KUNIA MUSIC 3rd Cup Cafe & Venue hosts Stacey & Company on percussion and guitar at 7 p.m. June 8, and Taking Care of Business at 7:30 p.m. June 9 with Hawaiian and contemporary music on the second floor of the Times building in Royal Kunia. Call 888-6087.
* ORCHID SHOWAiea Orchid Club has its 31st annual Orchid Show & Plant Sale from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. June 8 and 9 and 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. June 10, featuring demonstrations, displays and sales of blooming plants. A chicken sale runs from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. June 9. Email email@example.com.
* NISHIHARA State Sen. Clarence Nishihara hosts his monthly coffee hour with constituents at 8 a.m. June 9 at the Waipahu Don Quijote. Call 728-1008.
* ORGANIZE Simply Organized has a free workshop on “FreedomRail” at 1 p.m. June 9 at its Kapolei store, 889 Kamokila Blvd. Call 529-5801
* SOCCER TRYOUTS Ka’oi Soccer Club has a free tryout from 9 a.m. to noon June 9 at Central Oahu Regional Park for boys and girls ages 7 to 19. Call 864-2791.
* CANCER HELP The Kapolei Cancer Self Help Group meets at 5 p.m. June 10 at Island Pacific Academy, 909 Haumea St. to help each other, learn and share feelings. Email firstname.lastname@example.org m.
* HOLIDAY All area libraries are closed June 11 in observance of King Kamehameha Day.
* BRITISH SOCCER Leeward AYSO hosts a British Coaches Youth Soccer Camp June 11-15 at Kapolei Regional Park for ages 5 to 16 with full and half-day sessions. Camp T-shirt is included, and walk-ins are OK. Email Ron Matar at email@example.com.
* UNCLE WAYNE Pearl City Library presents “Sing Along with Uncle Wayne” at 1 p.m. June 12 (453-6566) and Ewa Beach Library hosts him at 10:30 a.m. June 15 (689-1204).
* JOB FAIR The Leeward Job and Career Fair is open from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. June 12 at Salvation Army Kroc Center, 91-3257 Kualaka’i Parkway in Ewa Beach. Call 586-9730.
* HEARING Kaiser’s Waipio Clinic presents a free Hearing Loss seminar at 9:30 a.m. June 12 at 94-1480 Moaniani St. Call 432-2155.
* REUNION Aiea High’s Class of 2002 has a final deadline of June 14 to sign up for its 10-year reunion, which is set for 5:30 p.m. Aug. 11 at Cupola Theater in Honolulu. Go to aieaclassof2002.org.
* WATER ART The Board of Water Supply displays winning entries in its Water Conservation Week Poster and Poetry Contest from May 30 to June 14 in the Kapolei Hale courtyard. Call 748-5041.
* PUMPKINS Halawa Xeriscape Garden sponsors a two-part pumpkin program with planting at 10:30 a.m. June 16 and harvesting and decorating them at 10:30 a.m. Oct. 27 at the garden, 99-1268 Iwaena St. Fee is $5. Call 748-5363 by June 15.
* BENEFIT Big City Diner in Waipio, Pearlridge and elsewhere hosts a fundraiser for a former cook Melarie Templo June 18 and will donate a percentage of each meal check to her medical fund that day. Templo has a rare form of brain cancer.