West Oahu Highlights
Send West Oahu items to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 29 to be considered for the May 6 edition, or call 529-4850.
• NEIGHBORS Pearl City Neighborhood Board meets at 7 p.m. April 28 at Waiau District Park. Call 768-3710.
• BLOOD DRIVES Hawaii Blood Bank has donor drives from 7:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. May 2 at Pearlridge Center Downtown, and 8:15 a.m.-3 p.m. May 4 at Aiea High library. Call 848-4770.
• AG LANDS The city Department of Planning and Permitting hosts a meeting from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. April 29 in Kapolei Hale conference rooms A-C to gather public input on how to identify and map Oahu’s Important Agricultural Lands. (The original date was postponed because of the ZipMobile snafu.) Visit honoluludpp.org or mapoahuagland.com.
• ACTOR’S TAKEActor and director Justin Chon (21 & Over, The Twilight Saga films) discusses his career and creative influences and will take qu estions at 12:30 p.m. April 30 in UH West Oahu Library, as part of the Creative Media Masters Series. Call 689-2604.
• GOP CONVENTION Republican Party of Hawaii has its 2015 state convention from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. May 2 at Salvation Army Kroc Center, 91-3257 Kualakai Parkway. Visit gophawaii.com.
• ROLLER DERBYAloha City Rollers stage its annual Star Wars Scrimmage at 4:30 p.m. May 2 at Mililani Hockey Rink, 95-1000 Makaunulau St. The team practices in Kapolei and Mililani. Visit 808derby.com.
• BONSAI Pearl City Bonsai Club plans its annual bonsai show and plant fair from 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. May 2 at Pearl Ridge Elementary cafeteria, complete with exhibits, tips, pots and bonsai tools for sale. Email email@example.com.
• SOCCER Leeward AYSO 269 (Kapolei to Makaha) registers players age 4-18 from 5 to 7 p.m. May 2 at Kapolei Middle School, Building E, and 4 to 6 p.m. May 16 at Nanakuli High cafeteria. Early registration fee is $75 (until May 31, then $85), which includes uniform, insurance and photo package. Make checks payable to AYSO 269; credit cards welcome. Seasons start in August and September, depending on age. Visit leewardayso269.com.
• BENEFIT GOLF St. Francis Healthcare Foundation’s 14th Golf Healthy Challenge is set for 9:30 a.m. May 7 at Hawaii Prince Golf Club in Ewa Beach. Fee is $1,250 for a three-person team, and proceeds support St. Francis Kupuna Village on the Liliha campus. Call 547-8031.
• MAKE-A-WISH Make-A-Wish Hawaii sponsors its annual gala at 6:30 p.m. May 9 at Disney’s Aulani resort in Ko Olina with food, fun and entertainment for guests, who are asked to wear white for hope. Call 537-3118.
• SUCCULENTS Halawa Xeriscape Garden offers a Succulent Framed Art workshop at 10:30 a.m. May 9 at 99-1268 Iwaena St. Fee is $10. To register by May 8, call 748-5363.
• GRAFTING Oahu Urban Garden Center’s “Stroll the Gardens” day is from 9 a.m. to noon May 9 featuring a workshop on grafting fruit trees at 9:15 a.m. ($35 preregistration fee), plus a plant sale and a Master Gardeners’ answer booth at 955 Kamehameha Hwy. Call 453-6050.
• LEEWARD L’ULU The annual Leeward Culinary Arts gala is set for 6 to 9 p.m. May 9 when 13 celebrity chefs and local cultivators join up to present a fine-dining menu, entertainment and silent auction at The Pearl. Tickets cost $100 ($125 after May 2) and proceeds support culinary scholarships. Call 455-0300 or 455-0298.
• XERISCAPE Halawa Xeriscape Garden offers workshops with Diane Moses at 10:30 a.m. at 99-1268 Iwaena St. on the following dates: Succulent framed art May 9, Five simple steps to a beautiful garden May 23, and Terracotta madness May 30. For fees and to reserve a space, call 748-5363.
• OCEAN SAFETY Na Kama Kai seeks volunteers to help with its May 10 ocean safety clinics for youths at Ewa Beach Park. Call 864-9164.
• FOOTBALL The Ewa Beach Hurricanes program is registering intermediate and elementary players, and recruiting coaches and parent help. Apply to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 232-4449.
• JIU-JITSU The Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Academy in Kapolei offers family-oriented instruction for all age and skill levels. Call 782-8590 or email email@example.com.
• FITNESS R.I.P.P.E.D. Fitness leads a complete one-hour workout at 6 p.m. Tuesdays at Momilani Rec Center covering cardio, agility, resistance and endurance. Call 676-9677.
• CHORALE New singers are invited to join Kapolei Chorale at its rehearsals, held at 6:30 p.m. Sundays in Kapolei. The group features sopranos, altos, tenors and basses for four-part harmony. Call Judy at 623-4045.
• SLACK KEY Yameen Fong teaches classes in beginner slack-key guitar in four weekly meetings at 9 a.m. Thursdays, and ukulele picking at 10 a.m. Thursdays, both at Ewa Mahiko District Park, 91-1145 Renton Road. Call 685-6035 or visit fongsmusic.homestead.com.
• GATHERING Prince Kuhio Community Center hosts The Gathering Place market from 3:30 to 6:30 p.m. Mondays at 91-1270 Kinoiki St. in Kapolei, offering food, crafts and entertainment to bring Westside folks together. Vendors may call Megan at 772-6682.