West Oahu Highlights
Send West Oahu items to email@example.com by Nov. 19 to be considered for the Nov. 26 edition.
* NEW MARKET Prince Kuhio Community Center sponsors The Gathering Place market from 3:30 to 6:30 p.m. Nov. 17, 24 and each Monday at 91-1270 Kinoiki St. in Kapolei, offering food, crafts and entertainment to bring Westside folks together. Vendors may call Megan at 772-6682.
* MONEY Financial educator Karen Ho gives tips on everyday ways to save money in the free program “Money Matters” at 1 p.m. Nov. 18 at Kapolei Library. Call 693-7050.
* EWA WATER The Board of Water Supply and city Department of Planning and Permitting conduct a second community meeting from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Nov. 19 at Kapolei Hale, conference room A to share preliminary water use and projected demand figures for Ewa, and to discuss Ewa’s water future. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* YOUTUBE STAR UH West Oahu’s Creative Media Masters series features YouTube sensation and singer/songwriter AJ Rafael, from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Nov. 20 in the college library, first floor. Email email@example.com.
* PEACE PLAY Ohana Arts presents the youth musical Peace On Your Wings Nov. 20-22 at Leeward CC Theatre, inspired by a girl’s life in Japan after the bombing of Hiroshima. Shows are at 7:30 p.m. all three days and also at 2 p.m. Nov. 22. Call 744-5501 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* NEIGHBORS Waipahu Neighborhood Board meets at 7 p.m. Nov. 20 at FilCom Center, Pearl City at 7 p.m. Nov. 25 at Waiau District Park, and Makakilo-Kapolei-Honokai Hale at 7 p.m. Nov. 26 at Kapolei High cafeteria. For updates, call 768-3710.
* PALISADES PA’INA Pearl City High School Class of 1985 sponsors a “Pau Hana Pa’ina” from 5 to 9 p.m. Nov. 21 at Palisades Rec Center, 2160 A’amanu St., offering heavy pupus, drinks and entertainment for 21 and older with ID. Tickets cost $25 presale, $30 at the door, and proceeds offset class reunion costs. Email email@example.com.
* E-WASTE Pacific Corporate Solutions takes e-waste items for recycling from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Nov. 22 at Pearl City Highlands Elementary School, 1419 Waimano Home Road. No TV sets, alkaline batteries, microwaves or home appliances can be accepted. Call 488-8870.
* WORMS Malama Learning Center conducts a vermicomposting workshop from 9 a.m. to noon Nov. 22 at Kapolei High School, Portable 1. Fee is $15 per person or $40 for families of up to three people. Call 483-0678 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* TARO HELP The Kalauao La’au Restoration Project in Ka’onohi plans a public work day from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Nov. 22 in the taro patch, located above Sumida watercress farm at Pearlridge. RSVP by Nov. 19 to 397-8685 or email@example.com.
* MARSH HELP Hawaii Nature Center volunteers help restore Pouhala Marsh in Waipahu from 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. Nov. 22 and Dec. 20. Call 955-0100, ext. 118.
* PCHS FAIR Pearl City High School has a craft fair from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Nov. 23 in the cafeteria to benefit its special education department. Call 454-5666.
* SOCIAL SECURITY Nelson Secretario shares “Strategies to Maximize Your Social Security Income” at 6:30 p.m. Nov. 25 at Ewa Beach Library. Call 689-1204.
* CONCERT UH-West Oahu presents a lunchtime concert and songwriter talk story with Jerry Santos and UHWO faculty from 12:30 to 3:30 p.m. Nov. 25 in the dining hall; also featuring the college’s ukulele, slack key guitar and Hawaiian Ensemble (12:30-2:15). Call 689-2357.
* BLOOD DRIVE Hawaii Blood Bank has a donor drive from 7 to 11 a.m. Nov. 28 at the Ewa Town Center Foodland. Call 848-4770.
* GABBARD TALK State Sen. Mike Gabbard hosts a Listen Story hour at 9 a.m. Nov. 29 in the Kapolei High teachers lounge. Call 586-6830.
* WINTER FAIR Hawaii Okinawa Center sponsors a winter craft fair from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Nov. 29 and 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Nov. 30 at 94-587 Ukee St. The event also welcomes non-perishable food for Hawaii Foodbank. Call 676-5400.
* HOLIDAY IDEAS Palisades Family and Community Education Club demonstrates holiday ideas at 6 p.m. Dec. 2 at Ewa Beach Library. Call 689-1204.
* CONCERT UH-West Oahu presents a lunchtime concert and songwriter talk story with Henry Kapono and UHWO faculty from 12:30 to 3:30 p.m. Dec. 3 in the dining hall; also features students performing their original songs, plus comments from UHWO music faculty. Call 689-2357.
* CHORUS The UH-West Oahu University Chorus performs holiday music directed by Jeremy Wong at 7 p.m. Dec. 5 in Campus Center multipurpose room C-208; also features Kapolei High’s Hurricane Singers, and musicians from the public, students, faculty and staff. For details, email Wong at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* WREATHS Halawa Xeriscape Garden conducts a wreath-making workshop at 10:30 a.m. Dec. 6 at 99-1268 Iwaena St. in Halawa Valley. Fee is $5, and participants should bring their own supplies. For details and to register, call 748-5363.
* MUSEUM GALA Pacific Aviation Museum sponsors its annual “Destinations & Dreams” benefit gala from 6 to 10 p.m. Dec. 6 at the museum’s hangars, featuring guest speaker Chesley B. “Sully” Sullenberger and emcee David Hartman, and honoring Adm. Ronald Hays. Tickets cost $250. For details on this and other events at the museum, call 441-1006.
* KAPOLEI DRIVE Kapolei High School conducts a Going Green recycling drive from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Dec. 6, welcoming all kinds of items from metal to computers, reusable clothing, HI-5 containers and more. Call 291-6151.
* BOOK SALE The Friends of Kapolei Library conduct their annual holiday book sale from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Dec. 6, offering seasonal books, DVDs, CDs, vinyl records and gifts for all ages. Call 693-7050.
* SNOW DAY Kapolei Shopping Center sponsors “Snow Day in Kapolei” from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Dec. 6 during its annual Santa Saturday photos and activities. Call 695-4316 or visit inkapolei.com.
* USS ARIZONA The USS Arizona hosts the Blackened Canteen Ceremony at 11:30 a.m. Dec. 7, an annual event of peace and reconciliation that commemorates the 73rd anniversary of the Pearl Harbor attack. It will be followed by a roundtable discussion at Pacific Aviation Museum. Call 441-1006.
* PALISADES HIKE Hawaiian Trail & Mountain Club leads a 5.8-mile intermediate hike to ‘Iliahi Ridge in Pacific Palisades at 8 a.m. Dec. 7. Visit htmclub.org.
* PC PARADE Pearl City Shopping Center sponsors its annual Christmas Parade at 4 p.m. Dec. 7 from Momilani Elementary School to the shopping center on Hoolaulea Street, followed by a Cruz Night from 5 to 8 p.m. Marchers include Pearl City High School band, scouts, pageant winners, lion dancers and more. Call 554-8190.
* HO’IKE The UH-West Oahu songwriting class shares songs and stories behind what they’ve learned from assistant professor Jon Magnussen at 5 p.m. Dec. 7 in Campus Center #C-225. Call 689-2357.
* EVENING FAIR Hawaii Okinawa Center sponsors its “Evening in Waipio” Craft Fair from 5:30 to 9 p.m. Dec. 10 at 94-587 Ukee St., featuring more than 60 vendors. Call 676-5400.
* KAPOLEI LIGHTS West Oahu’s Electric Light Parade begins at 6 p.m. Dec. 13 at Kapolei fairgrounds, moving to Kapolei Hale for tree lighting ceremonies and a block party. Call 768-3343.
* WAIPIO PARADE Gentry Waipio Community Association’s Christmas Parade begins at 10 a.m. Dec. 13 at Waipio Shopping Center, moves through the community and back to the center, followed by live holiday entertainment from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Call 671-2272.
* SEASON’S BEST Aiea Elementary School hosts a Season’s Best craft fair from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Dec. 13. Call 683-6064.
* KAENA POINT Hawaii Nature Center leads a moderate 5-mile coastal hike to Kaena Point from 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Dec. 13. Fee is $10 for nonmembers. Call 955-0100, ext. 118.
* FLEA MARKET Hawaii Self Storage conducts a flea market/swap meet from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. every Friday and Saturday at 2009 Lauwiliwili St. in Kapolei with new items daily and plenty of vendors. Email email@example.com.
* HULA WAIPAHU No Kealoha O Hula halau offers adult beginner classes at 6 p.m. and intermediate classes at 7:10 p.m. Wednesdays in Village Park. Fee is $25 plus a refundable $25 deposit. Call Desiree Numango at 478-0404.