West Oahu Highlights
Send West Oahu items to firstname.lastname@example.org by Aug. 20 to be considered for the Aug. 27 edition.
* ART OPENING Ewa Beach CBDO kicks off a monthlong art and photography exhibition, “See My Voice,” with a recognition ceremony at 5:30 p.m. Aug. 19 at Kapolei Hale. The exhibit showcases photography and art by area children from its summer program. Visit ewabeachcbdo.org.
* PAU HANA MUSIC Jason Alan entertains from 6 to 8 p.m. Aug. 21 for pau hana at Aiea Bowl and The Alley Restaurant. Next up: Local Uprising plays Aug. 28. Call 445-8236.
* GOLF BENEFIT Make a Wish Hawaii and Ohana Broadcast Co. present the 2014 Mulligans Golf Tournament at 11:30 a.m. Aug. 21 at Hawaii Prince Golf Course in Ewa Beach. For details, call Janel Chandler at 537-3118, ext. 112.
* BLOOD DRIVES Hawaii Blood Bank has donor drives from 7 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Aug. 23 at St. Joseph Church in Waipahu, 7:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Aug. 30 at Kapolei Shopping Center, and 7:45 a.m.-noon Aug. 30 at the East Kapolei fire station on Kinoiki Street. Call 848-4770.
* ARCHERY Bushwackers Archery Club hosts the Peter Akau Memorial Shoot from 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Aug. 23 at Pu’u o Kapolei Archery Range on Fort Barrette Road. Entry fees range from $30 to $5, and all ages are welcome. Call 348-1672 or 479-5206.
* LIBRARY’S 10TH Kapolei Library marks its 10th anniversary from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Aug. 23 with a book sale at 9 a.m., lion dance at 10, Balloon Monsoon at noon, Hawaiian Blend music at 2 p.m., lucky drawings at noon, 2 and 4 p.m., plus DVD borrowing bargains for card holders. Call 693-7050.
* AIEA BON Aiea Hongwanji has its bon dance at 7 p.m. Aug. 23 at 99-186 Puakala St; food booths open at 5, and service starts at 6. Call 487-2626.
* GABBARD HOUR State Sen. Mike Gabbard conducts a “Listen Story” at 9 a.m. Aug. 23 in the Kapolei High teachers lounge. Call 586-6830.
* SOVEREIGNTY “The Sovereignty Conversation” forum series, co-hosted by Makakilo’s Kioni Dudley, airs from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Aug. 23, 30 and Sept. 6 on ‘Olelo channel 53. Visit thesovereigntyconversation.org.
* NEIGHBORS Pearl City Neighborhood Board meets at 7 p.m. Aug. 26 at Waiau District Park, Makakilo-Kapolei-Honokai Hale meets at 7 p.m. Aug. 27 in Kapolei High cafeteria, and Waipahu meets at 7 p.m. Aug. 28 at FilCom Center. Call 768-3710.
* ROTARY TALK UH president David Lassner is guest speaker at Kapolei Rotary Club’s 7:30 a.m. Aug. 28 breakfast meeting in the Kapolei High faculty lounge. Email email@example.com.
* CHARITY GOLF The Finance Factors Family of Companies Charity Golf Tournament is set for Aug. 28 at Waikele Country Club, benefiting Big Brothers Big Sisters Hawaii this year. Team signup deadline is Aug. 21. Call 548-3325.
* MARSH HELP Hawaii Nature Center volunteers meet to help restore Pouhala Marsh wetland in Waipahu from 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. Aug. 30. Call 955-0100, ext. 118.
* LAUHALA Malama Learning Center sponsors a beginners workshop on lauhala weaving at 9 a.m. Aug. 30 in Kapolei High portable 1. Fee is $15 per person, or $40 for families of up to three people. Call 220-4166.
* FOOTBALL KapCity Hurricanes register players for youth flag and tackle football now through Aug. 31 for fall season (September-November). Area practices are held from 4 to 6:30 p.m. weekdays. Call 393-5844 or visit facebook.com/usoathletics.
* FOOTBALL Ewa Beach Sabers Youth Football is registering youths now for the fall season of flag and tackle football. Practice is week-days at Asing Community Park. Call 722-2616 or visit facebook.com/ebsyf.
* FAIR VENDORS Vendors and sponsors are invited to join the fourth annual Emergency Preparedness Fair, set for Sept. 6 in Ewa Beach. Call 682-0111 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* LEADERSHIP Express Employment Professionals presents a leadership seminar with Jack Smalley on how to motivate and retain key talent from 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Sept. 18 at Hawaii Okinawa Center. For fees and details, call 525-5225.
* CAMPBELL ’72 Campbell High School’s Class of 1972 plans its 60th-birthday party for Sept. 19-23 in downtown Las Vegas, via Vacations Hawaii. For details, call Myrna at 265-2412.
* CAMPBELL ’69 Campbell High School’s Class of 1969 (and faculty) plans a reunion potluck picnic for 10 a.m. to sunset Sept. 27 at Pearl Harbor Rainbow Marina Cabanas (B&C), next to Schooner’s Restaurant. BYOB and pay by Sept. 12. Visit facebook.com/jchsclassof69.
* VEGGIE COOKS Down to Earth offers free vegetarian cooking classes at 4 p.m. on the first Wednesday of each month at its Kapolei store. Call 947-3249.
* MASTERS SWIM Veterans Memorial Aquatic Center offers a U.S. Masters swimming program, meeting at 7 p.m. each Monday and Wednesday at Central Oahu Regional Park. Call 677-8849.
* KEIKI COUNCIL The Central District South Community Children’s Council meets at 6 p.m. on the fourth Tuesday of the month in Moanalua High School Room G104; and the Leeward council meets at 6:30 p.m. on the first Wednesday at the State of Hawaii building, 601 Kamokila Blvd. in Kapolei All parents of children with special needs are welcome. Call 586-5363.
* CRESTVIEW CLUB Crestview Seniors Club meets from 9:30 a.m. to noon Fridays at Crestview Community Park for planned fun activities and outings. All residents age 55 and older are welcome. Call Guy at 671-4838.
* FLEA MARKET Hawaii Self Storage conducts a flea market/swap meet from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. each Friday and Saturday at 2009 Lauwiliwili St. in Kapolei with new items daily and plenty of vendors. Email email@example.com.
* ALZHEIMER HELP An Alzheimer’s support group meets at 7 p.m. on the third Monday of each month at St. Timothy’s Episcopal Church in Aiea. Call 591-2771.
* HULA WAIPAHU No Kealoha O Hula halau offers adult beginner classes at 6 p.m. and intermediate classes at 7 p.m. Wednesdays in Village Park. Fee is $25 plus a refundable $25 deposit. Call instructor Desiree Numango at 478-0404.
* WAIPAHU CLUBS The city has weekly activities and senior citizen programs for the Waipahu Cosmopolitans at 9 a.m. Fridays (678-0871) and Waipahu Seniors at 9 a.m. Wednesdays (675-7129).
* ADOPTING PETS Hawaii Dog Foundation sponsors pet adoptions from noon to 2 p.m. every Sunday at Petco Pearl City. Call 782-8387.
* HABITAT HELP Habitat for Humanity Leeward Oahu seeks volunteers to help with its mission of self-built housing for low-income families in Kapolei, Ewa Beach and Waianae. Call Toni Anduha at 696-7882.
* FITNESS Fit Wiz Hawaii has classes in Pilates, yoga, Tabata and TRX Beach Boot Camps (suspension training) in Kapolei and Ewa Beach for ages 12 and older, with the first class free. For details, visit fitwiz-hawaii.com.
* YOGA Free classes in Holistic Energy Yoga meet at 10:30 a.m. Wednesdays at Waiau District Park. Call 381-4376.
* HIDEAWAY BAND 11th Hour performs rock music from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. each third Saturday at the Hideaway, 1 Coral Sea Road in Kalaeloa. Free for ages 21 and up with military ID. Call 347-1323.
* SLACK KEY Starting Labor Day week, Yameen Fong teaches beginner slack-key guitar at 9 a.m. Thursdays at Ewa Mahiko District Park, and ukulele at 10 a.m. Tuesdays at Asing Community Park. Call 685-6035 evenings or visit fongsmusic.homestead.com.