West Oahu Highlights
Send West Oahu items to email@example.com by Aug. 13 to be considered for the Aug. 20 edition.
* BLOOD DRIVES Hawaii Blood Bank has donor drives from 8 to 11:30 a.m. Aug. 11 at Aulani resort’s Kaala III and IV conference center, 8:30 a.m.-12:15 p.m. Aug. 15 at Simplex Grinnell (99-1379 Koaha Place in Aiea) and 7 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Aug. 23 at St. Joseph Church in Waipahu. Call 848-4770.
* NEIGHBORS Aiea Neighborhood Board meets at 7:30 p.m. Aug. 11 at the new Aiea Library at 99-374 Pohai Place, the Ewa board meets at 7 p.m. Aug. 14 at Ewa Beach Library, and Pearl City meets at 7 p.m. Aug. 26 at Waiau District Park. Call 768-3710.
* PAU HANA MUSIC Cool Aina entertains from 6 to 8 p.m. Aug. 14 for pau hana at Aiea Bowl and The Alley Restaurant. Next up: Jason Alan plays Aug. 21 and Local Uprising plays Aug. 28. Call 445-8236.
* ADULT CARE Deadline is Aug. 14 to comment to city planners on a permit requested for a Ho’olehua Street adult daycare facility in Pearl City. The site would enroll up to eight adults and operate from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. weekdays. For details and questions, call Nelson Armitage of the city Department of Planning and Permitting at 768-8016.
* MISSOURI PICNIC Battleship Missouri sponsors a Hana Hou Steel Beach Picnic from 6 to 9 p.m. Aug. 15 at the ship’s pier with music by Tropic Knights, swing dancing, tours, keiki activities and food for sale. Bring your own picnic and drinks, low beach chairs, coolers and bags. Admission is $10 and $5 for ages 4 to 12, cash at the door. Visit bb63.stores.yahoo.net/stbe pi2,html or call 1-877-644-4896.
* ORGANIZED Simply Organized in Kapolei offers a free demonstration of the Freedom Rail closet system at 1 p.m. Aug. 16 at 889 Kamokila Blvd. Call 693-8888.
* MARKET Makeke Waianae farmers market offers a Waianae Eat Local Challenge (with prize incentives) from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. each Saturday, Aug. 16 to Sept. 13, at Waianae Mall. Call 697-3236.
* ART OPENING Ewa Beach CBDO kicks off a monthlong art and photography exhibition, “See My Voice,” with a recognition ceremony at 5:30 p.m. Aug. 19 at Kapolei Hale. The exhibit will showcase photography and art by area children from its summer program. Visit ewabeachcbdo.org.
* ARCHERY Bushwackers Archery Club presents the Peter Akau Memorial Shoot from 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Aug. 23 at Pu’u o Kapolei Archery Range on Fort Barrette Road. Entry fees range from $30 to $5, and all ages are welcome. Call 348-1672 or 479-5206.
* LIBRARY’S 10TH Kapolei Library marks its 10th anniversary from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Aug. 23 with a book sale at 9 a.m., lion dance at 10, Balloon Monsoon at noon, Hawaiian Blend music at 2 p.m., lucky drawings at noon, 2 and 4 p.m., plus DVD borrowing bargains for card holders. Call 693-7050.
* AIEA BON Aiea Hongwanji has its bon dance at 7 p.m. Aug. 23 at 99-186 Puakala St; food booths open at 5, and service starts at 6. Call 487-2626.
* ROTARY TALK UH president David Lassner is guest speaker at Kapolei Rotary Club’s 7:30 a.m. Aug. 28 breakfast meeting in the faculty lounge at Kapolei High School. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* CHARITY GOLF The Finance Factors Family of Companies Charity Golf Tournament is set for Aug. 28 at Waikele Country Club, benefiting Big Brothers Big Sisters Hawaii this year. Team signup deadline is Aug. 21. Call 548-3325.
* YOUTH FOOTBALL KapCity Hurricanes register players for youth flag and tackle football now through Aug. 31 for the fall season (September-November). Area practices are held from 4 to 6:30 p.m. week-days. Call 393-5844 or visit facebook.com/usoathletics.
* FAIR VENDORS Vendors and sponsors are invited to join the fourth annual Emergency Preparedness Fair, set for Sept. 6 in Ewa Beach. Call 682-0111 or email email@example.com.
* LEADERSHIP Express Employment Professionals presents a leadership seminar with Jack Smalley on how to motivate and retain key talent from 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Sept. 18 at Hawaii Okinawa Center. For fees and details, call 525-5225.
* FOOTBALL Ewa Beach Sabers Youth Football is registering youths now for the fall season of flag and tackle football. Practice is week-days at Asing Community Park. Call 722-2616 or visit facebook.com/ebsyf.
* CAMPBELL ALUMNI Campbell High School’s Class of 1972 plans its 60th birthday party for Sept. 19-23 in downtown Las Vegas, via Vacations Hawaii. For details, call Myrna at 265-2412.
* WAIPAHU ZUMBA Zumba classes with Sexy Crew are back every Thursday at 6:30 p.m at United Visayan Community Hall, 94-833 Awanei St. in Waipahu. Drop-in fee is $5. Call 393-8073.
* AIKIDO Aikido Yuishinkai Honolulu leads ki and martial arts classes from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays at Halawa District Park, second floor. Classes follow the teachings of Koretoshi Maruyama and Morihei Ueshiba, for all ages and skill levels. Call James Peters at 256-9944.
* SELF DEFENSE Austin Streadbeck leads a self-defense class from 6 to 8 p.m. each Wednesday and Thursday at Makakilo Community Center, based on the teachings of Henry Okazaki’s Kodenkan/Danzan Ryu Jujitsu. Call 383-1480.
* WELLNESS Shizendo Ki method founder Hideo Kimura teaches therapy exercises and how to use Ki to monitor pain and emotional release for beginners at 6 p.m. each Monday and Friday. He also leads adult beginner aikido at 7:30 p.m. the same nights at Soto Mission of Aiea, 99-045 Kauhale St. Free trials are allowed. Classes start this month. Call 671-1422.