West Oahu Highlights
Send West Oahu items to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 9 to be considered for the July 16 edition.
* SCHOOL SUPPLIES From July 7 to 11, Prudential Locations Oahu welcomes donates of school supplies at its offices, including its Pearlridge Center office and kiosk for its annual “Back-pack to School” drive. Call 488-7700.
* KAPOLEI DANCE Kapolei chapter of Hawaii Ballroom Dance Association registers students at 7 p.m. July 7, 14 and 21 at Makakilo Community Park for classes in waltz and samba that begin July 7. Call 781-2076.
* AIEA DANCE Pearl-ridge chapter of Hawaii Ballroom Dance Association signs up students at 7 p.m. July 8 and 15 at Waimalu Elementary School for lessons in rumba and East Coast swing. Classes begin July 8. Call 456-2129 or 488-3935.
* RAIL UPDATE Kiewit and HART officials brief the public on summer construction plans for rapid transit at 6:30 p.m. July 9 at Waipahu High library. Call 566-2299.
* EWA DANCE Ewa Beach’s chapter of Hawaii Ballroom Dance Association registers students at 6:45 p.m. July 9 and 16 at Asing Community Park for intermediate Bolero and East Coast Swing classes. The park is at 94-1450 Renton Road. Call 781-2076.
* PAU HANA MUSIC Cool Aina entertains for pau hana from 6 to 8 p.m. July 10 at Aiea Bowl and The Alley Restaurant. Call 445-8236.
* NEIGHBORS Ewa Neighborhood Board meets at 7 p.m. July 10 at Ewa Beach Library. Call 768-3710.
* TV EATS Food Network’s Diners, Drive-ins and Dives features The Alley Restaurant at Aiea Bowl in its July 11 episode on “Righteous Bites.”
* WAIPAHU BON Waipahu Hongwanji has its bon dances at 7 p.m. July 11 and 12 at 94-821 Kuhaulua St. with food booths opening at 6 both nights, and service at 6 p.m. July 12. Call 677-4221.
* BOOKS Kapolei Library concludes its adult summer speaker series at 1 p.m. July 12 with a talk by author Nancy Reynolds on the attraction of young adult books. Call 693-7050.
* GARDEN TIPS Oahu Urban Garden Center’s second Saturday program is “Sustainable Gardening: Getting Started” from 9 a.m. to noon July 12, featuring container-grown fruit trees and starting a vegetable garden. Call 453-6050.
* HULA HELP Kumu hula Mae Kamamalu Klein and Halau ‘O Kaululaua’e perform at a breakfast benefit and bake sale from 9 to 11 a.m. July 12 at Kapolei High cafeteria. Meal donation is $8 and proceeds support the troupe’s participation in Queen Lili’uo-kalani Keiki Hula Competition July 17-19 at Blaisdell Arena. Call 551-5702.
* BOXING USA Boxing conducts certified training for boxing coaches and officials from 11:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. July 12 and 13 at Pearlside Boxing Gym in Kalaeloa, 2045 Lauwili-wili St. Call Eiichi Jumawan at 256-2885.
* BLOOD DRIVES Hawaii Blood Bank has donor drives from 7:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. July 12 at Kapolei Shopping Center, and 7:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. July 13 at Podium Raceway on Lexington Street in Kalaeloa. Call 848-4770.
* PEARL CITY BON Rissho Kosei-kai Buddhist Church of Hawaii presents its bon dances and plenty of food from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. July 18-19 at 2289 Auhuhu St. in Pearl City. Call 455-3212.
* ARCHERY BENEFIT Pu’u Kapolei Archery Range on Fort Barrette Road plans a Peter Akau Memorial Shoot from 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. July 19 to benefit Hawaii Foodbank. Visit bushwackersarcheryclub.org.
* YOUTH FOOTBALL KapCity Hurricanes register players for youth flag and tackle football now through Aug. 31 for the fall season (September-November). Area practices are held from 4 to 6:30 p.m. week-days. Call 393-5844 or visit facebook.com/usoathletics.
* CAMPBELL ’72 Campbell High School’s Class of 1972 throws its 60th birthday party Sept. 19-23 in Las Vegas. To make arrangements, call Vacations Hawaii by July 15. For more details, call Myrna at 265-2412 or email email@example.com.
* METH ART Kapolei Hale Courtyard displays original works by Hawaii teens in the exhibit, “Not Even Once … Take a stand against METH,” now through July 17. Call 922-5331.
* WAIPAHU ZUMBA Zumba classes with Sexy Crew are back each Thursday at 6:30 p.m at United Visayan Community Hall, 94-833 Awanei St. in Waipahu. Drop-in fee is $5. Call 393-8073.
* FLEA MARKET Hawaii Self Storage hosts a flea market/swap meet from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. each Friday and Saturday at 2009 Lauwiliwili St. in Kapolei with new items weekly and plenty of vendors. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* HABITAT HELP Habitat for Humanity Leeward Oahu seeks volunteers to help with its mission of self-built housing for low-income families in Kapolei, Ewa Beach and Waianae. Call Toni Anduha at 696-7882.
* VEGGIE COOKS Down to Earth runs free vegetarian cooking classes at 4 p.m. on the first Wednesday at its Kapolei store. Call 947-3249.
* KEIKI COUNCIL The Central District South Community Children’s Council meets at 6 p.m. on the fourth Tuesday in Moanalua High Room G104; and the Leeward council meets at 6:30 p.m. on the first Wednesday at the State of Hawaii building, 601 Kamokila Blvd. in Kapolei All parents of children with special needs are welcome. Call 586-5363.