West Oahu Highlights
Send West Oahu items to email@example.com by July 2 to be considered for the July 9 edition.
* BUGS’ LIFE UH entomologist Ryan Caesar discusses insect biology, biodiversity and conservation at 10:30 a.m. June 30 at Kapolei Library. He’ll also share specimens from the UH Insect Museum collection. Call 693-7050.
* MEDIA DEGREE Deadline is July 1 to apply for the fall semester UH West Oahu Creative Media program, which offers multiple pathways to a four-year degree in cooperation with all seven UH community colleges. For more information, call 689-2900.
* AIEA DANCE The Pearlridge chapter of Hawaii Ballroom Dance Association signs up students at 7 p.m. July 1, 8 and 15 at Waimalu Elementary School for lessons in rumba and East Coast swing. Classes begin July 8. Call 456-2129 or 488-3935.
* PAU HANA MUSIC The Llamedo Sisters entertain from 6 to 8 p.m. July 3 at Aiea Bowl and The Alley Restaurant. Call 445-8236.
* ROTARY TALK State Sen. David Ige is guest speaker at Kapolei Rotary Club’s 7:30 a.m. meeting July 3 in the faculty lounge at Kapolei High. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* COUPONS Maria Olipas shares tips on coupon savings at 1 p.m. July 5 at the Honolulu Star-Advertiser press building, 4545 Kapolei Parkway. Deadline to register is July 3 at 375-6600.
* NISHIHARA HOUR State Sen. Clarence Nishihara hosts his monthly coffee hours at 9 a.m. July 5 at Waimano Home Road McDonald’s in Pearl City and at 9 a.m. July 19 at Waipahu Don Quijote. Call 728-1008.
* KAPOLEI DANCE The Kapolei chapter of Hawaii Ballroom Dance Association registers students at 7 p.m. July 7, 14 and 21 at Makakilo Community Park for classes in waltz and samba that begin July 7. Call 781-2076.
* RAIL UPDATE Kiewit and HART officials brief the public on summer construction plans for rapid transit at 6:30 p.m. July 9 at Waipahu High library. Call 566-2299.
* EWA DANCE Ewa Beach’s chapter of Hawaii Ballroom Dance Association registers students at 6:45 p.m. July 9 and 16 at Asing Community Park for intermediate Bolero and East Coast swing classes. The park is at 94-1450 Renton Road. Call 781-2076.
* NEIGHBORS Ewa Neighborhood Board meets at 7 p.m. July 10 at Ewa Beach Library. Call 768-3710.
* WAIPAHU BON Waipahu Hongwanji’s bon dances start at 7 p.m. July 11-12 at 94-821 Kuhaulua St. with food booths open at 6, and service at 6 p.m. July 12. Call 677-4221.
* GARDEN TIPS Oahu Urban Garden Center presents “Sustainable Gardening: Getting Started” from 9 a.m. to noon July 12, covering container-grown fruit trees and starting a vegetable garden. Call 453-6050.
* BOXING CLINIC USA Boxing has certification clinics for boxing coaches from 11:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. July 12-13 at Pearlside Boxing Gym at 2045 Lauwiliwili St. Call 256-2885.
* SABER PARTY Campbell High’s Class of 1972 has set 60th birthday festivities for Sept. 19-23 in Las Vegas. For reservations, call Vacations Hawaii by July 15. For more details, call Myrna at 265-2412 or email email@example.com.
* CITY MARKETS The People’s Open Market sells produce Tuesdays from 6:30 to 7:30 a.m. at Waiau District Park and 8:15-9:15 a.m. at Waipahu District Park; Fridays 7-8 a.m. at Halawa District Park and 9-10 a.m. at Ewa Beach Community Park; Sundays 7-8:30 a.m. at Kapolei Community Park, 9:30-11 a.m. at Royal Kunia Park-n-Ride and 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. at Waikele Community Park. Call 522-7088.
* TOASTMASTERS Pearl City Toastmasters Club meets at 7 p.m. every first and third Tuesday in the Mokihana Room at Pearlridge Gardens & Tower (98-1042 Moanalua Road). Call 780-2066.