West Oahu Highlights
Send West Oahu items to email@example.com by June 11 to be considered for the June 18 edition.
* LIBRARY CLOSURES All public libraries are closed June 11 in observance of Kamehameha Day. Visit librarieshawaii.org for a complete listing.
* BLOOD DRIVES Hawaii Blood Bank has donor drives from 8:30 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. June 11 at Tony Group Autoplex, 7:30 a.m.-1:15 p.m. June 12 at Pali Momi Medical Center, 7 a.m.-1:30 p.m. June 15 at Foodland in Ewa Town Center, 9 a.m.-1:15 p.m. June 16 at Aulani resort, and 7:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. June 28 at Kapolei Shopping Center. Call 848-4770.
* RONALD Ronald McDonald brings his interactive show to kick off their Children’s Summer Reading programs at 1:30 p.m. June 9 at Pearl City Library (453-6566) and 10:30 a.m. June 20 at Ewa Beach Library (689-1204).
* HARDWARE SCIENCE “Experience Hardware Science,” a free lesson for keiki using simple tools to learn about STEM, is set for 10:30 a.m. June 13 at Ewa Beach Library (689-1204), and 10:30 a.m. June 19 at Kapolei Library (693-7050).
* POETRY Kapolei Library’s summer reading program for adults offers a speaker series, including “Understanding Poetry” with editor and UH English professor Susan Schultz at 1 p.m. June 14. The series also meets June 28 and July 12. Call 693-7050.
* NEIGHBORS Aiea Neighborhood Board meets at 7:30 p.m. June 9 in the Aiea Library conference room, Ewa meets at 7 p.m. June 12 at Ewa Beach Library, Pearl City meets at 7 p.m. June 24 at Waiau District Park, Makakilo-Kapolei-Honokai Hale meets at 7 p.m. June 25 at Kapolei High cafeteria and Waipahu meets at 7 p.m. June 26 at FilCom Center on Mokuola Street. Call 768-3710.
* WAIPAHU BON Hawaii’s Plantation Village sponsors its annual bon dance June 14 starting at 4 p.m. with ceremonies, 5 p.m. food sales and 6 p.m. dancing at 94-695 Waipahu St. This year’s event is dedicated to the late Cal Kawamoto, law-maker and HPV’s first executive director. Call 677-0110.
* GARDEN ART Sen. Clarence Nishihara hosts his monthly coffee hour from 9 to 10 a.m. June 14 at Walmart McDonald’s in Pearl City. Call 728-1008.
* WAIMANO HIKE Hawaiian Trail & Mountain Club leads a 5-mile intermediate hike to the Waimano Tunnels at 8 a.m. June 14. Visit htm-club.org.
* GARDEN ART Oahu Urban Garden Center’s Second Saturday theme is “Art in the Garden” from 9 a.m. to noon June 14 at 955 Kamehameha Hwy. in Pearl City. UH Art Department staff presents a gardening workshop with experts, a panel discussion, demonstrations and interactive art activities. Call 453-6050.
* IPA PROJECT GRAD Island Pacific Academy stages a benefit for 2015 Project Graduation, “Food for Thought,” from 6 to 9 p.m. June 14 on the Kapolei campus, featuring chef food stations, beer and wine pairings, entertainment and a silent auction. Tickets cost $78 per person, and child care is available. Call 382-8065.
* HOME BUYING Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties runs a free seminar on “Buying with No Money Down” at 5:30 p.m. June 15 at its office in Kapolei Commons. Speaker is Layne Goeas of Pacific Access Mortgage. RSVP to 947-8101.
* GOLF BENEFIT Pearl Country Club hosts a Pearl City Football benefit golf tourney June 17, with shotgun start at 12:30 p.m. Fee is $160 and it includes prizes, bag lunch (provided) and dinner buffet. Call 387-3428 or 216-2950.
* HEALTH FAIR Hawaii Okinawa Center hosts a Senior Health & Fitness Fair from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. June 20 at 94-587 Ukee St. in Waipio Business Park. Planned are workshops, door prizes, fun and plenty of vendors. Call 676-5400.
* MARSH CLEANUP Hawaii Nature Center volunteers help clean up Pouhala Marsh from 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. June 21 in Waipahu. Call 955-0100, ext. 118.
* ROYAL MUSIC Royal Hawaiian Band performs a free concert at noon June 21 at Pearlridge Center Uptown. Call 922-5331.