West Oahu Highlights
Send West Oahu items to email@example.com or fax them to 585-6324 by March 12 to be considered for the March 19 edition.
* EATING RIGHT Kaiser Permanente presents a free Senior Summit talk with a dietitian on “Enjoy the Taste of Eating Right” at 10 a.m. March 10 at its Waipio Clinic on Moaniani Street (432-2235).
* NEIGHBORS Aiea Neighborhood Board meets at 7:30 p.m. March 10 in the Aiea Library conference room, the Ewa board meets at 7 p.m. March 13 at Ewa Beach Library, and Pearl City meets at 7 p.m. March 25 at Waiau District Park. Call 768-3710.
* AGENT TRAINING Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties conducts an accelerated, two-week program of new agent training from 8:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. March 10-21 at its office in Kapolei Commons. Call 748-3410.
* CONCERT Chamber Music Hawaii presents the Galliard String Quartet & Friends concert at 7 p.m. March 11 in the UH West Oahu library, featuring the music of Johannes Brahms and Franz Schubert. For tickets, call 489-5038. (Students are admitted free of charge.)
* BALLROOM Pearl-ridge chapter of Hawaii Ballroom Dancing Association registers students for merengue and West Coast swing lessons from 7 to 8 p.m. March 11, 18, 25 and April 1 and 8 at Waimalu Elementary School. Tuesday night classes start April 1, with nominal fees. Call 488-3935 or 836-4579.
* TOWN HALL Kapolei High and Middle schools host a town hall meeting on “Underage Drinking and Marijuana Education and Awareness” from 6 to 8 p.m, which offers a unique insight into marijuana education awareness as well as tackling the causes of underage drinking. March in Kapolei High cafeteria, plus prizes and entertainment. Call 692-8200, ext. 2246.
* SUSTAIN Teacher and farmer Koh Ming Wei discusses “Education for Sustainability” at 5 p.m. March 12 at UH West Oahu Lab Bldg. E132 in a free interactive workshop. Call 689-2604.
* ONLINE GAME Aiea Library hosts “Ingress: The Game,” an Android multi-player online reality game at 6:30 p.m. March 13. The one-hour teen program is run by members of the Hawaii Ingress community. Call 483-7333.
* WELLNESS FAIR State Rep. Sharon Har sponsors Kapolei Keiki Wellness Day from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. March 15 in Kapolei High cafeteria, offering activities, exhibits, free checkups and plenty of information about healthy living. Call 586-8500.
* BUG TRAPS The Board of Water Supply and Halawa Xeriscape Garden team up to improve yard maintenance with chemical-free insect and pest traps in a workshop from 10:30 a.m. to noon March 15 at the garden. Advanced registration is required by 2 p.m. March 14. Fee is $5 for non-members. Call 748-5363.
* ORGANIZED Simply Organized offers a free FreedomRail workshop at 1 p.m March 15 at the Kapolei store on Kamokila Boulevard. Call 693-8888.
* FARM TOURS Leeward Community College’s AgXposure program offers farm tours with hands-on learning experiences from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. March 15, 22 and 29. Call 455-0401.
* SOCCER CAMP The “I Got Skills” spring break soccer camp is set for from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. March 17-21 at Central Oahu Regional Park for boys and girls ages 6 to 14 years old. Visit igot-skills.com.
* ACCOUNTING Fil-Com Center plans a free Magnegosyo Entrepreneurship workshop at 6 p.m. March 18 on accounting and bookkeeping basics. Call 680-0451.
* PIDGIN TALK Award-winning author and editor Lee Tonouchi reads from his pidgin works from 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. March 19 at UH West Oahu Campus Center room C225 as part of the “Local Voices, Local Literature” series. The program is free and open to the public. Call 689-2800.
* ROTARY TALK U.S. Rep. Colleen Hanabusa is guest speaker at the Kapolei Rotary Club’s 7:30 a.m. meeting March 20 in the faculty lounge at Kapolei High. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* AIEA ROTARY Pearlridge Rotary Club meets weekly at 11:30 a.m. at Pearl Country Club. Guest speaker for March 21 is ghost storyteller Lopaka Kapanui. Email email@example.com.
* GARDENS Halawa Xeriscape Garden presents a workshop on water-efficient spiral and keyhole gardens at 10:30 a.m. March 29 at 99-1268 Iwaena St. Fee is $5 for non-members, and registration begins March 11 until all spaces are filled. Call 748-5363.
* AYSO SIGNUPS Leeward AYSO 269 conducts onsite registration from 5 to 7 p.m. March 29 and April 26 at Kapolei Middle School, 3 to 5 p.m. May 10 at Nanakuli High cafeteria, and online (since March 1) at eayso.org. Fall season starts in August.
* CRESTVIEW CLUB Crestview Seniors Club meets from 9:30 a.m. to noon each Friday at Crestview Community Park for planned fun activities and outings. All residents age 55 and older are welcome. Call Guy at 671-4838.
* TAX HELP Leeward Community College’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program has live and online assistance for qualified low-income individuals and families. Online service is at myfree-taxes.com. Live help is from 1:30 to 5:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays now through March 21, or 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturdays through March 29. Call 455-0524.
* ALZHEIMER HELP An Alzheimer’s support group meets at 7 p.m. on the third Monday of each month at St. Timothy’s Episcopal Church in Aiea. Call 591-2771.
* FLEA MARKET Hawaii Self Storage has a flea market/swap meet from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. every Friday and Saturday at 2009 Lauwiliwili St. in Kapolei. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* HULA WAIPAHU No Kealoha O Hula halau offers adult beginner classes at 6 p.m. and intermediate classes at 7 p.m. Wednesdays in Village Park. Fee is $25 plus a refundable $25 deposit. Call instructor Desiree Numango at 478-0404.
* ADOPTING PETS Hawaii Dog Foundation sponsors pet adoptions from noon to 2 p.m. every Sunday at Petco Pearl City. Call 782-8387.
* HABITAT HELP Habitat for Humanity Leeward Oahu seeks volunteers to help with its mission of self-built housing for low-income families in Kapolei, Ewa Beach and Waianae. Call Toni Anduha at 696-7882.
* SPRING BALL Hawaii Islanders seeks players 8 to 14 years old for 2014 Spring Tackle Football for boys, as well as coaches and team parents, for the Pearl City, Aiea and Moanalua areas. Call or text 352-5294.
* WELLNESS CLASS Shizendo ki method founder Hideo Kimura conducts Ki Wellness classes at 6 p.m. Mondays and Fridays, and Aikido for Seniors at 7:30 p.m. Mondays and Fridays at Aiea Soto Mission. Free trials are allowed. The mission is at 99-045 Kauhale St. Call 671-1422.
* FITNESS Fit Wiz Hawaii offers classes in Pilates, yoga, Tabata and TRX Beach Boot Camps (suspension training) in Kapolei and Ewa Beach for ages 12 and older, with the first class free. For details, visit fitwiz-hawaii.com.
* YOGA Free classes in Holistic Energy Yoga meet at 10:30 a.m. Wednesdays at Waiau District Park. Call 381-4376.
* HIDEAWAY BAND 11th Hour performs original and cover rock music from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. every third Saturday at the Hideaway, 1 Coral Sea Road in Kalaeloa. Free admission for ages 21 and older with military ID. Call 347-1323.
* VEGGIE COOKS Down to Earth has free vegetarian cooking classes at 4 and 5:30 p.m. Wednesdays at its Kapolei store, and at 5:30 p.m. on the first and third Monday at its Pearlridge store. Call 947-3249.
* MASTERS SWIM Veterans Memorial Aquatic Center has a U.S. Masters swimming program at Central Oahu Regional Park. Call 677-8849.