East Oahu Highlights
Send East Oahu items to firstname.lastname@example.org by Dec. 3 for the Dec. 10 edition.
* BOOK SALE All craft and hobby books are half price this month at Friends of Hawaii Kai Library bookstore, open 12:30-4:30 p.m. Monday, 10 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Tuesday-Thursday, and 9:30 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday in the library basement. Call 397-0515.
* FENG SHUI Two area libraries host free “Feng Shui in Hawaii” talks by author Clear Englebert, covering problems and solutions for Oahu homes: Aina Haina Library at 6:30 p.m. Nov. 18 (377-2456) and Hawaii Kai Library at 10:30 a.m. Nov. 22 (397-5833).
* NEIGHBORS Kaimuki Neighborhood Board meets at 7 p.m. Nov. 19 and Dec. 17 at Kaimuki Christian Church, Waialae-Kahala at 7 p.m. Nov. 20 at Wesley United Methodist Church, Hawaii Kai at 7 p.m. Nov. 25 at Hahaione Elementary, Kuliouou-Kalani Iki at 7 p.m. Dec. 4 at Aina Haina Library, and Palolo at 7 p.m. Dec. 10 at Palolo Elementary. (All other boards will recess in December.) Call 768-3710.
* BLOOD DRIVES Hawaii Blood Bank has donor drives from 8 a.m. to 2:15 p.m. Nov. 20 at Chaminade University, 7-11:30 a.m. Nov. 30 at Hawaii Kai Library, 7:45 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Dec. 1 at KCC, and 8 a.m.-noon Dec. 7 by Koko Marina Center Walgreen’s. Call 848-4770.
* SHARKS Waikiki Aquarium offers a free lecture at 7 p.m. Nov. 20 at Mamiya Theatre. A researcher at Hawaii Institute of Marine Biology, Carl Meyer discusses “Shark Tech: Tracking Hidden Hunters of the Deep” as part of the aquarium’s Distinguished Lecture Series. Call 923-9741.
* THIRD FRIDAY Third Friday Kaimuki runs from 5 to 9 p.m. Nov. 21, showcasing restaurants, shops and bars on Waialae Avenue. Merchants host entertainment, demonstrations and free product samples. Visit kaimukihawaii.com.
* KAIMUKI DRIVE Kaimuki High School has rescheduled its Going Green recycling drive for 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Nov. 22, accepting all kinds of items, from scrap metal to TV sets and electronic equipment, plus canned food, reusable clothing and household items, and more. Call 291-6151.
* HANAUMA TALKS Hanauma Nature Preserve hosts free public lectures by UH graduate students at 3 p.m. Nov. 23 in the park theater on Maui ground-water discharge, Maunalua Bay algae and tilapia; Nov. 30 on groundwater influences, climate change forecasting and chemical change in oceans; Dec. 7 on the threat to reef corals and (tentative) new concepts in marine science education; Dec. 14 on pollution effects on marine mammals. Parking costs $1. Call 397-5840.
* KALUANUI HIKE Hawaiian Trail & Mountain Club leads a 3-mile novice hike to Kaluanui Ridge in Hawaii Kai at 8 a.m. Nov. 29. Visit htmclub.org.
* E-WASTE Pacific Corporate Solutions takes e-waste items for recycling from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Nov. 29 at Kaiser High School. No TV sets, alkaline batteries, microwaves or home appliances can be accepted. Call 488-8870.
* DISASTER Hawaii Kai Strong leads a “Get Prepared” disaster readiness meeting at 7 p.m. Dec. 3 at Kamiloiki Elementary cafeteria. The public outreach is designed to help build a more resilient community. Call 395-5406 or email email@example.com.
* WHITE CHRISTMAS Diamond Head Theatre presents the musical White Christmas Dec. 5-21. Call 733-0274 or visit diamond-headtheatre.com.
* SEASON’S BEST The Season’s Best Craft & Gift Fair is open from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Dec. 6 at Aliiolani Elementary. Call 683-6064.
* MUTUAL BOOKS Mutual Publishing hosts a Pop-Up Bookstore now through Dec. 20 at 1215 Center St. #210, featuring its bestsellers and specials on new and past titles. Hours are 9 a.m.-4 p.m. weekdays and 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Dec. 6, 13 and 20; with free parking at Bank of Hawaii lot. Call 732-1709.
* VEGGIESAuthor Patti Breitman discusses “Never Too Late to Go Vegan: Why and How to Make the Switch for a Better Life” at 7 p.m. Dec. 9 at Ala Wai Clubhouse as part of the Vegetarian Society meeting. The public is welcome. Call 944-8344.
* RED CROSS Hawaii Red Cross has a variety of first aid training in December at its East Oahu headquarters, ranging from pediatric CPR to CPR and AED for professions rescuers, starting Dec. 9. For fees and dates, call 733-2767 or visit red-cross.org. Completion comes with two-year certification.
* MALL MUSIC Kalani High School’s orchestra performs a free concert at 4 p.m Dec. 11 at Kahala Mall. Call 732-7736.
* THRIFT SHOP Holy Trinity Church Thrift Shop is now in a new cottage behind the school and is open from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Thursday-Saturday. Call 396-0678.