East Oahu Highlights
Send East Oahu items by fax to 585-6324 or email email@example.com. The next edition is Nov. 20, and deadline is Nov. 13.
* COACHES WANTED Hawaii Wrestling Officials Association seeks adults to officiate prep wrestling matches, and no experience is needed. Meetings begin at 6 p.m. Nov. 5 at Aiea High gym. Call 753-3968.
* SUMMITS State Rep. Gene Ward’s chief of staff Paige Altonn hosts a “coffee summit” from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Nov. 5 at Zippy’s and a “beer summit” from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Nov. 7 at Kona Brewing Co. Pub, both at Koko Marina. Call 586-6420.
* ART OPENING The Garage, a new gallery/salon, unveils its inaugural exhibition from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. Nov. 7 at 1510 Ohialoke St. Featured are artists from Hawaii and New York. Hours are 1-6 p.m. weekends and by appointment until Dec. 1. Call 295-1333.
* SOLAR RULES RevoluSun has a free “Q&A” at 6 p.m. Nov. 7 at Hawaii Kai Library on HECO’s new rules and guidelines for solar systems. RSVP to 748-8888.
* HANAUMA TALKS Hanauma Nature Preserve hosts free public talks at 6:30 p.m. Thursdays in November on a water theme in Cynthia Bond Memorial Theater. The Nov. 7 topic is “Representations of Wai as Mo’o” with UH grad student Donna Camvel. Call 397-5840.
* NEIGHBORS Kuliouou-Kalani Iki Neighborhood Board meets at 7 p.m. Nov. 7 at Aina Haina Library, Palolo at 7 p.m. Nov. 13 at Palolo Elementary cafeteria, Diamond Head-Kapahulu at 6:30 p.m. Nov. 14 at Ala Wai Clubhouse, andKaimuki at 7 p.m. Nov. 20 at Kaimuki Christian Church. Call 768-3710.
* KOKO HEAD FAIR Koko Head Elementary School has its Fall Festival from 6 to 8:30 p.m. Nov. 8 with prizes, a silent auction, activities, raffle, dinner and entertainment (397-5811).
* HUI WORKDAY Livable Hawaii Kai Hui has a community workday from 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. Nov. 9 at Hawea Heiau Complex & Keawawa Wetland. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* CLOSURES Public schools and libraries are closed Nov. 9-11 in observance of Veterans Day. The Hawaii Kai branch is open Nov. 8.
* ORGANIZED Simply Organized has a free workshop on “Downsizing and Decluttering” at 9 a.m. Nov. 9 at its Kahala Mall store. Call 739-7007.
* FALL FEST Holy Nativity Church has its Fall Festival and Christmas Sale, including a silent auction, from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Nov. 9. Call 373-2131.
* HAHAIONE FAIR Hahaione Elementary School has its PTSA fun fair from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Nov. 9 with games, rides, a food court, rummage sale and vendors. Call 397-5822.
* BLOOD DRIVES Hawaii Blood Bank has donor drives from 7:30 to 11 a.m. Nov. 10 at One Love Ministries at Kaimuki High School, 8 a.m.-12:45 p.m. Nov. 18 at Kapiolani Community College, and 8 a.m.-2:30 p.m. Nov. 19 at Chaminade. Call 848-4770.
* VEGETARIAN Dr. Lorrin Lau discusses “The Search for Truth about Plants, Animals and Better Human Health” at 7 p.m. Nov. 12 at Ala Wai Clubhouse. Call 944-8344.
* SAFE DRIVER Kaiser’s Hawaii Kai Clinic hosts an AARP Driver Safety class from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Nov. 14. Fee is $14 per class for non-members. Call 545-6024.
* HUKI HELP Malama Maunalua plans a “huki” event (algae removal) from 9 a.m. to noon Nov. 15; meet at Kuliouou Beach Park. Call 395-5050.
* THIRD FRIDAY Third Friday Kaimuki runs from 6 to 9 p.m. (or later) Nov. 15 featuring dozens of restaurants, shops and bars on Waialae between Koko Head and 8th avenues.Visit kaimukihawaii.com.
* WATERSHED Malama Maunalua has a free tour at 9 a.m. Nov. 16 of its water-shed demonstration projects. Call 395-5050.
* SLEEP Kaiser Permanente hosts a free public Senior Summit lecture on “Sleep Secrets” at 10:30 a.m. Nov. 19 at New Hope Diamond Head Resource Center, 4211 Waialae Ave. #1030. Call 737-5544.
* MENEHUNE WALK Menehune Marchers Volks-sport Club does a 5K/10K walk Nov. 30, starting between 8 and 10 a.m. at Koko Head Neighborhood Park. Call 626-3575.
* BOOK SALES Friends of Hawaii Kai Library book store is open 12:30-4:30 p.m. Mondays, and 10 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays in the library basement. Call 348-5034.
* JAZZ MONDAYS Kahala Hotel & Resort hosts Jazz Mondays from 7:30 p.m. weekly at Veranda lounge; no cover charge and validated parking with purchase. Call 739-8760.
* MEETING DOGS Hawaii Dog Foundation has a noon-2 p.m “meet and greet” with its adoptable dogs on the first Saturday at Hawaii Kai Shopping Center’s Marina Pet Supply (256-6927).