DOT Begins Contraflow Project
The state Department of Transportation recently launched the H-1 Freeway PM Contraflow Project, which will create an afternoon westbound contraflow lane to reduce traffic congestion during the weekday rush hour.
The project will allow a zipperlane across the approximately 7.2-mile stretch between Pearl Harbor (near the Radford Drive Overpass) and Waikele.
This project aims to improve quality of life for drivers, as those on the road will be able to get home to their families faster and save money on gas. It is a part of the DOT’s overall plan to help alleviate traffic congestion, said DOT director Glenn Okimoto.
According to the DOT, the zipperlane will assist westbound freeway motorists by removing contraflow vehicles from the normal traffic lanes.
“Every vehicle that uses the PM Contraflow will be removed from the normal traffic lanes,” Okimoto explained.
Phase I of this project will involve repairing concrete sections of the innermost lanes of the Pearl City and Waimalu viaducts over an estimated period of 16 months, and Phase II will install the new barrier segments over a period of four months, concurrently with Phase I.
Groundbreaking took place June 26, and the anticipated completion is late 2013.
The $82.1 million project will be funded 80 percent by the federal government and the state will pay for the remaining 20 percent.
Visit pmcontraflow.com for more information.