Central Oahu Highlights
Email Central Oahu calendar items to firstname.lastname@example.org by Aug. 6 for the Aug. 13 edition.
* WAHIAWA FILMS Free film night at Wahiawa Library screens Disney’s Little Mermaid (for families) at 5 p.m. July 29 in the meeting room, Enough Said Aug. 5 (young adults), Leviathan (adults) Aug. 12 and Kung Fu Panda: Good Croc, Bad Croc Aug. 19 (families). Fans are welcome to bring their own snacks. Call 622-6345.
* OSHIRO FORUM State Rep. Marcus Oshiro hosts a post-session forum — “Everything You Wanted To Know About the 2014 Session, But Were Afraid To Ask” — from 6 to 8:30 p.m. July 30 at Wahiawa District Park’s Hale Koa room. A light dinner, dessert and socializing start at 6, and the meeting begins at 6:30. Call 586-6700.
* KEIKI FILM HUI Mililani 14 Theatres’ Keiki Film Hui screens Rio 2 at 10 a.m. July 30 and 31, with children’s tickets costing $1. Call 239-0919.
* NATURE HELP Oahu Army Natural Resources Program seeks volunteers to remove weeds, collect seeds and plant native species at various North Shore preserves in August, with all workdays starting from the Wahiawa baseyard. For details and to register, call 656-7741 or email email@example.com.
* BLOOD DRIVES Hawaii Blood Bank has donor drives from 7:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Aug. 1 at Wahiawa General Hospital, 7 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Aug. 2 at Mililani Town Center, and 7:30 a.m.-2 p.m. Aug. 25 at Waialua Intermediate and High School library. Call 848-4770.
* PARKINSON’S A Parkinson’s support group meets at 1 p.m. Aug. 2 (and every first Saturday) in Waialua United Church of Christ’s office, 67-174 Farrington Hwy. Call Grant at 282-9864.
* WAIALUA BON Waialua Hongwanji has its bon dance at 7 p.m. Aug. 2 at 67-313 Kealohanui St. Service is at 6 p.m. Call 637-4395.
* BANDSTANDWaialua Bandstand hosts entertainment by the International Cultural & Friendship Association at 4 p.m. Aug. 3. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 637-9721.
* POLO MATCHES Hawaii Polo Club hosts the Walter Dillingham Trophy match Aug. 3 between Equus Hotel and WSP; the Aug. 10 match is Mexico v. Hawaii. Gates open at 11 a.m. each Sunday on Mokuleia field, and action starts at 2 p.m. Admission is $10, or $25 for clubhouse seats. Call 226-0061.
* SWIM SERIES The Jamba Juice North Shore Challenge starts at 9 a.m. Aug. 9 with a 2.3-mile swim from Pipeline to Waimea. For more details and applications for this leg of the North Shore Swim Series, visit hawaiiswim.com.
* WAIALUA WRITERS The Waialua Library writers group meets at 11 a.m. Aug. 9 at the library on the topic “Write Something Humorous.” Call 637-8286.
* MEETING DOGS Hawaii Dog Foundation hosts a “meet and greet” session with its adoptable dogs from noon to 2 p.m. Aug. 9 and 23 at Mililani Mauka Dog Park, 95-1069 Ukuwai St. Call 782-8387.
* MOON WALK Waimea Valley sponsors a guided Moon Walk through the park at 8 p.m. Aug. 10. Bring flashlights, water, bug repellent and rain ponchos. Fee is $10 per person. Walkers are invited to dine earlier at the newly reopened Proud Peacock Restaurant. Call 638-7766.
* CAREGIVERS Central Oahu Caregivers sponsors a support group at 7 p.m. Aug. 14 at Wahiawa General Hospital. Everyone is welcome. Call 623-6707.
* GOLF BENEFIT Hana Pa’a Softball 12U girls 2001 team plans a benefit golf tourney at noon Aug. 14 at Mililani Golf Course. Fee is $150 per golfer on a three-man team. For details and to sign up, email email@example.com.
* AUDITIONSApplause! Performance Academy holds auditions at 7:30 p.m. Aug. 15 and 5:30 p.m. Aug. 16 for Diamond In The Rough’s fall production of Peter Pan, to be staged at Paliku Theater in Kaneohe. A large cast of all ages is required (though Capt. Hook is taken). The Wahiawa academy is located at 614 Kilani Ave. For details, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* BOOK SALE Friends of Waialua Library have a book sale from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Aug. 16. Call 637-8286.
* NEIGHBORS Wahiawa-Whitmore Village Neighborhood Board meets at 7 p.m. Aug. 18 at Wahiawa District Park, Mililani Mauka-Launani Valley meets at 7 p.m. Aug. 19 at Mililani Mauka Elementary, North Shore meets at 7 p.m. Aug. 26 in Waialua Elementary cafeteria, and Mililani-Waipio-Melemanu meets at 7:30 p.m. Aug. 27 at Mililani Rec Center III, Call 768-3710.
* BIATHLON The inaugural Turtle Bay Biathlon is set for 8:30 a.m. Aug. 23 with an ocean swim and 5K trail run plus after-party at the Kahuku resort. Fee is $80 for individuals through July 20, and proceeds benefit Hawaii’s Lifeguard & Water Safety Fund. For details, call 293-6000 or email email@example.com.
* WAIMEA CONCERT Waimea Valley’s second annual summer concert series concludes with Timi Abrigo, Jeff Au Hoy and Eddie Palama performing from 1 to 5 p.m. Aug. 23 on the Main Lawn. Tickets cost $20 at the gate, with discounts for children and seniors. Call 638-7766 or visit waimeavalley.net.
* ZUMBA Mililani Town Center has a free Zumba demonstration class at 6:30 p.m. on the last Friday of the month at the gazebo. Call 625-0108.
* OHANAWaimea Valley sponsors La Ohana (family day) from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on the third Sunday of the month (through December), with half-price admission for kamaaina and military families. The day includes a scavenger hunt, stories, hula, lei making, petroglyph rubs, cultural demonstrations and makahiki games. Call 638-7766.
* CRESTVIEW CLUB Crestview Seniors Club meets from 9:30 a.m. to noon each Friday at Crestview Community Park for planned fun activities and outings. All residents age 55 and older are welcome. Call Guy at 671-4838.
* ZUMBA Debbie Rosario leads Zumba classes at 6:45 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 9 a.m. Saturday at Mililani Waena Elementary. Fee is $5 per class or $45 per month. Call 780-5640.
* ALZHEIMER HELP An Alzheimer’s support group meets at 6:30 p.m. on the fourth Wednesday of the month at The Plaza in Mililani. Call 591-2771.
* MILILANI SENIORS The Mililani Golden Years seniors club meets from 9:30 a.m. to noon Fridays at Mililani District Park for planned activities. All residents age 55 and older are welcome. Call 623-5258.
* PUPUKEA SENIORS Pohai Na Makua o Pupukea seniors club meets monthly at 9:30 a.m. on the first Tuesday, August through May, at Sunset Beach Recreation Center. Call 638-7213.
* HALEIWA SENIORS The Haleiwa Seniors club meets from 8 to 11:30 a.m. every Thursday at Waialua Community Association, across from Haleiwa post office. Arts and crafts teachers also are welcome to assist. Call 637-4606.
* WHITMORE CLUB The city sponsors weekly programs and activities for Whitmore Seniors Club at 9 a.m. Fridays at Whitmore Community Park. Call 622-2420.
* MASTERS SWIM The Veterans Memorial Aquatic Center offers a U.S. Masters swimming program, meeting at 7 p.m. each Monday and Wednesday at Central Oahu Regional Park. Call 677-8849.
* TOASTMASTERS Mililani Toastmasters Club meets at 7:30 p.m. Mondays at Mililani Ike Elementary School to help members improve their public speaking and leadership skills. Call 220-5093.
* STORIES, FILMS Wahiawa Library sponsors a free storytime from 6 to 7:15 p.m. each Thursday and a free Movie Night at 5 p.m. each Tuesday. Call 622-6345.
* ESCRIMA Patrick Delos Santos leads Kali Escrima classes in Filipino self-defense (stick fighting) at 6:30 p.m. Wednesdays and 9:30 a.m. Saturdays at Mililani Waena Elementary School. Fee is $50 per month. Call 398-0119.
* STRIDERS Central Oahu STRIDERS FIT4-MOM offers stroller striding and Stroller Barre classes at 9 a.m. Monday-Friday at Central Oahu Regional Park and Monday, Wednesday, Friday at Kapolei Regional Park, Schofield Barracks and Hickam AFB. Prices and memberships options vary, and the first class is free. Visit centraloahu.fit4mom.com or call (610) 217-9285.
* JAZZERCISE Kate Moore leads low-impact Jazzercise classes at 6 and 7 p.m. Mondays at Mililani District Park, beginners welcome. She also has a class at 6:15 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays at Mililani Rec Center 5. Call 621-2482.
* KEIKI COUNCILThe Central District North Community Children’s Council meets at 5:30 p.m. on the third Tuesday at Mililani High Room C101. All parents of children with special needs are invited. Call 586-5363.
* CONSERVATION Oahu Army Natural Resource Program seeks volunteers for its service trips and environmental outreach projects in the Waianae and Koolau mountains to control invasive weeds, etc. Call 656-7741.
* SUP YOGA Judy Kosaka leads SUP Yoga (yoga on a stand up paddle board) at 9:30 a.m. Sundays at Anahulu Stream for $10 per class (bring board). Call Aloha SUP Yoga at 627-9444.