Central Oahu Highlights
Email Central Oahu event items to email@example.com by June 18 for the June 25 edition.
* LIBRARY CLOSURESAll public libraries are closed June 11 in observance of Kamehameha Day. Visit librarieshawaii.org for a complete listing.
* CAREGIVERS The Central Oahu Caregivers sponsor a support group at 7 p.m. June 12 at Wahiawa General Hospital. Everyone is welcome. Call 623-6707.
* WAIALUA WRITERS The Waialua Library writers group meets at 11 a.m. June 14 at the library to discuss “Pencils and Pens.” Call 637-8286.
* MEETING DOGS Hawaii Dog Foundation hosts a “meet and greet” session with its adoptable dogs from noon to 2 p.m. June 14 and 28 at Mililani Mauka Dog Park, 95-1069 Ukuwai St. Call 782-8387.
* JAPAN THEATER Waialua Library hosts a live staging of Bento Rakugo, a unique presentation of Japanese comedy, at 10 a.m. June 14. Call 689-1204.
* PIZZA MUSIC Summer Kealoha performs from 7 to 10 p.m. at Jerry’s Pizza in Waialua. Call 637-8866.
* BLOOD DRIVES Hawaii Blood Bank has donor drives from 8 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. June 14 at Mililani Mauka fire station, and from 7 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. June 21 at Mililani Town Center. Call 848-4770.
* DADS AT DOT’S Augie T. headlines a Father’s Day Brunch and Show from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. June 15 at Dot’s in Wahiawa, featuring an all-you-can-eat prime rib buffet, music, magic and laughs. Tickets cost $45 and $25 at augiet.com or call 479-0576.
* POLO MATCHES Hawaii Polo Club’s 2014 season features New Zealand versus Hawaii June 15 and 22, and Al Lopaka Day June 29. Gates open at 11 a.m. each Sunday on the Mokuleia field, and polo is at 2 p.m. Admission is $10, or $25 for clubhouse seats. Call 226-0061.
* NEIGHBORS Wahiawa-Whitmore Village Neighborhood Board meets at 7 p.m. June 16 at Wahiawa District Park, Mililani Mauka-Launani Valley meets at 7 p.m. June 17 at Mililani Mauka Elementary, North Shore Neighborhood Board meets at 7 p.m. June 24 in Waialua Elementary cafeteria, Mililani-Waipio-Melemanu meets at 7:30 p.m. June 25 at Mililani Rec Center III. Call 768-3710.
* CANDIDATE FORUM Mililani Mauka-Launani Valley Neighborhood Board sponsors a Candidates Forum at 7:30 p.m. June 17 at Mililani Mauka Elementary School, featuring candidates for local and national office. The public is urged to attend. Call 226-7430.
* HARDWARE SCIENCE “Experience Hardware Science,” a free lesson for keiki using simple tools to learn about STEM, is set for June 18 at 2 p.m. at Waialua Library (637-8286) and 6 p.m. at Wahiawa Library (622-6345).
* MOVIE NIGHT Mililani Library screens the free family film Hotel Transylvania at 6 p.m. June 18. Call 627-7470.
* GARDENERS Mililani Garden Club meets at 9:30 a.m. June 19 at Mililani Mauka Rec Center 6 for a program, demonstration or excursion. The public is welcome. Call 637-0488.
* HEALTH FAIR Hawaii Okinawa Center hosts a Senior Health & Fitness Fair from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. June 20 at 94-587 Ukee St. in Waipio Business Park. Planned are workshops, door prizes, fun and plenty of vendors. Call 676-5400.
* BOOK SALE Friends of Waialua Library have a book sale and a bake sale from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. June 21. Call 637-8286.
* CARNIVAL Mililani Shopping Center marks the start of summer with a carnival from 3 to 5 p.m. June 21, featuring keiki rides, carnival games, food, merchant activities and a school supplies drive by Salvation Army. Call 722-6467.
* WAIMEA CONCERTS Waimea Valley’s second annual summer concert series features Jerry Santos, Brother Noland and Led Kaapana from 1 to 5 p.m. June 21; Eddie Kamai, Imua Garza, Kalei Gamiao and Brittni Paiva July 19; and Timi Abrigo, Jeff Au Hoy and Eddie Palama Aug. 23. Tickets prices range from $35 for the series to $20 for each concert at the gate, with discounts for children and seniors. Call 638-7766 or visit waimeavalley.net.
* WAIMEA HELP Oahu Army Natural Resources Program seeks volunteers to remove weeds, collect seeds and plant native species on Kalahe’e Ridge on the north end of Waimea Valley in June and July. Call 638-5877.
* WAIALUA READS Waialua Library hosts a readers group from 9:30 to 11 a.m. June 26, featuring a pick-of-the-month biography. Call 637-8286.
* WAHIAWA BON Wahiawa Hongwanji Mission’s annual bon dance is set for 6:30 p.m. June 27 and 28, with dinner from 6 p.m., a country store, silent auction, keiki games and dancers from the temple’s Takedaiko Group. (Dance practice is 7-9 p.m. June 10 and 17. Keiki and family practice is at 1 p.m. June 22, and Okinawa dance practice from 7 to 9 p.m. June 24.) Call 392-3253.
* RONALD Ronald McDonald brings an interactive show to two Central Oahu libraries to kick off their Children’s Summer Reading programs: 10:30 a.m. July 1 at Mililani Library (627-7470), and 10:30 a.m. July 11 at Waialua Library (637-8286).
* BANDSTANDWaialua Bandstand hosts entertainment by the Royal Hawaiian Band at 4 p.m. July 6. Call 637-9721 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* LIBRARY DOINGS Waialua Library hosts a free Children’s Story Time at 10 a.m. each Saturday. Call 637-8286.
* STORYTIME Wahiawa Library presents free storytelling and activities at 6 p.m. each Thursday for ages 3 to 5. Call 622-6345.
* OHANAWaimea Valley sponsors La Ohana (family day) from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on the third Sunday of the month (through December), with half-price admission for kamaaina and military families. The day includes a scavenger hunt, stories, hula, lei making, petroglyph rubs, cultural demonstrations and makahiki games. Call 638-7766.
* CRESTVIEW SENIORS The Crestview Seniors Club meets from 9:30 a.m. to noon each Friday at Crestview Community Park for planned fun activities and outings. All residents age 55 and older are welcome. Call Guy at 671-4838.
* SENIOR CLASSES Anuenue Hale Wellness Center at Helemano offers a variety of free weekday classes and activities for seniors, injured war veterans and those with disabilities. Call Yvonne at 622-3929.
* ZUMBA Debbie Rosario leads ongoing Zumba classes at 6:45 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 9 a.m. Saturday at Mililani Waena Elementary. Fee is $5 per class or $45 per month. Call 780-5640.
* ALZHEIMER’S HELP An Alzheimer’s support group meets at 6:30 p.m. on the fourth Wednesday of each month at The Plaza in Mililani. Call 591-2771.
* MILILANI SENIORS The Mililani Golden Years seniors club meets from 9:30 a.m. to noon Fridays at Mililani District Park for planned activities. All residents age 55 and older are welcome. Call 623-5258.
* PUPUKEA SENIORS Pohai Na Makua o Pupukea seniors club meets monthly at 9:30 a.m. on the first Tuesday, August through May, at Sunset Beach Recreation Center. Call 638-7213.
* HALEIWA SENIORS The Haleiwa Seniors club meets from 8 to 11:30 a.m. every Thursday at Waialua Community Association, across from Haleiwa post office. Arts and crafts teachers also are welcome to assist. Call 637-4606.
* WAHIAWA SENIORS The city sponsors weekly programs and activities for the Wahiawa Rainbows at 8:30 a.m. Mondays at Wahiawa District Park. Call 621-5663.
* WHITMORE SENIORS The city sponsors weekly programs and activities for Whitmore Seniors Club at 9 a.m. Fridays at Whitmore Community Park. Call 622-2420.
* MASTERS SWIM The Veterans Memorial Aquatic Center offers a U.S. Masters swimming program, meeting at 7 p.m. each Monday and Wednesday at Central Oahu Regional Park. Call 677-8849.
* TOASTMASTERS Mililani Toastmasters Club meets at 7:30 p.m. Mondays at Mililani Ike Elementary School to help members improve their public speaking and leadership skills. Call 220-5093.
* KAHUKU MUSIC Turtle Bay Resort’s Hang Ten lounge offers live local music from 6 p.m. each Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Call 689-1800.
* STORIES, FILMS Wahiawa Library sponsors a free storytime from 6 to 7:15 p.m. each Thursday and a free Movie Night at 5 p.m. each Tuesday. Call 622-6345.
* PADDLE FITNESS Rainbow Watersports offers Stand Up Paddle Fitness classes Saturdays at Haleiwa Bay. Call 372-9304
* HULA Kumu hula Ali’i Manu conducts non-competitive hula classes (auana, kahiko and the aloha spirit) for the community at 7 p.m. Tuesdays at Mililani Uka Elementary School. Men and women ages 15 and up are welcome. Call 478-2400.
* ESCRIMA Patrick Delos Santos offers Kali Escrima classes in Filipino self-defense (stick fighting) at 6:30 p.m. Wednesdays and 9:30 a.m. Saturdays at Mililani Waena Elementary School. Fee is $50 per month. Call 398-0119.
* STRIDERS The Leeward Stroller Strides group meets at 8:45 a.m. Tuesdays and Thursday at Central Oahu Regional Park, offering a fitness walk for moms and tots in strollers. Fee is $60 a month. A Schofield Barracks group meets at 8:45 a.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Call 398-6275.