Central Oahu Highlights
Email Central Oahu items to email@example.com by May 21 for the May 28 edition.
* BLOOD DRIVES Hawaii Blood Bank has donor drives from 7:30 a.m. to 1:15 p.m. May 12 at Waialua High & Intermediate School, and 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. May 17 Mililani Town Center. Call 848-4770.
* FILM NIGHTS Wahiawa Library offers free film screenings for families and young adults at 5:30 p.m. May 14 and 21, with replay at 2 p.m. May 17 and 24. Call 622-6345.
* GARDENERS Mililani Garden Club meets at 9:30 a.m. May 15 at Mililani Mauka Rec Center 6 for a program, demonstration or excursion. The public is welcome. Call 637-0488.
* PLASTIC FREE Plastic Free Hawaii visits the May 15 Haleiwa Farmers Market, open from 3 to 7 p.m. at Waimea Valley. The group shares its campaign to distribute free reusable tote bags in anticipation of Oahu going plastic free in 2015. Bag design is by North Shore artist Heather Brown. Call 388-9696.
* WAIPIO MUSIC Summer Kealoha sings at 8:30 p.m. May 16 at Big City Diner Waipio. Call 678-8868.
* MILILANI BOOKS Friends of Mililani Library have a sale on books, CDs and DVDs from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. May 17 at the library. To offer help, call Alice at 626-7292.
* KAHUKU HIKE Hawaii Nature Center leads a hike along the Kahuku coast at 9 a.m. May 17 for families and hikers age 7 and older. Fee is $10 for nonmembers. Call 955-0100, ext. 118.
* PINE RUN The 39th annual 10K Wahiawa Pineapple Run is set for 7 a.m. May 17 with free pineapples and other prizes at the finish line. The race starts and ends at Kaala Elementary School with a run through the Wahiawa hills and surrounding pineapple fields. Fee is $50 at active.com. For more details, call 653-0088 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* KENDAMA OPEN Sweets Kendamas and Morning Glory of Mililani host the Kendama Open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. May 17 at Mililani Town Center. Registration fee is $10 in advance, $14 that day. The event also includes great prizes, and autographs and demos by the pros. Call 625-0108.
* SUMMER FUN Wahiawa District Park and Whitmore Community Park register children for Summer Fun from 9 a.m. to noon May 17, and from 2 to 5 p.m. May 19 and 20 at the parks. Call 675-7130.
* LIBRARY DOINGS Waialua Library hosts its Friends’ book sale from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. May 17, a readers group discussion of Maya Angelou’s I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings at 9:30 a.m. May 22, and a free Children’s Story Time at 10 a.m. each Saturday. Call 637-8286.
* WAHIAWA HIKE Hawaiian Trail & Mountain Club leads a 3.9-mile intermediate in the Wahiawa hills at 8 a.m. May 18. Visit htmclub.org.
* POLO MATCHES Hawaii Polo Club’s 2014 season features Argentina vs. Hawaii May 18 and 25. May 25 also is Aloha Shirt Day. Gates open at 11 a.m. each Sunday at Mokuleia field, and polo starts at 2 p.m. Admission is $10, or $25 for clubhouse seats. Call 226-0061.
* NEIGHBORS Wahiawa-Whitmore Village Neighborhood Board meets at 7 p.m. May 19 at Wahiawa District Park, Mililani Mauka-Launani Valley meets at 7 p.m. May 20 at Mililani Mauka Elementary, North Shore meets at 7 p.m. May 27 in Waialua Elementary cafeteria, and Mililani-Waipio-Melemanu meets at 7:30 p.m. May 28 at Mililani Rec Center III. Call 768-3710.
* PETER RABBIT Honolulu Theatre for Youth performs an interactive version of Peter Rabbit and the Garden at 6 p.m. May 22 at Wahiawa Library (622-6345) and 10 a.m. June 4 at Kahuku Library (293-8935).
* MEETING DOGS Hawaii Dog Foundation hosts a “meet and greet” session with its adoptable dogs from noon to 2 p.m. May 24 at Mililani Mauka Dog Park, 95-1069 Ukuwai St. Call 782-8387.
* TRUCKS Mililani Library presents “Touch a Truck” at 10 a.m. May 31, inviting children to touch big trucks and learn all about them in the library parking lot. The four-hour event includes science-related activities and prizes. Parents must accompany their children. Call 627-7470.
* STORYTIME Wahiawa Library presents free storytelling and activities at 6 p.m. each Thursday for ages 3 to 5. Call 622-6345.
* OHANAWaimea Valley sponsors La Ohana (family day) from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on the third Sunday of the month (through December), with half-price admission for kamaaina and military families. The day includes a scavenger hunt, stories, hula, lei making, petroglyph rubs, cultural demonstrations and makahiki games. Call 638-7766.
* TECH PARK MART Hiraoka Farm sponsors a farmers market from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesdays at 100 Kahelu Ave. in Mililani Tech Park, featuring breads, plate lunches, desserts, flowers, local meat and produce and much more. Call 228-3714.
* WAIPIO MARKET Kaiser Waipio Clinic hosts a “fresh day” market of healthy food and produce from 9 a.m. to noon each Wednesday at 94-1480 Moaniani St. Call 432-2270.
* QUEEN’S MARKET Liliuokalani Church offers a Queen’s Open Market from 1 to 5 p.m. Sundays in Haleiwa with fresh produce, ono food and hand-crafted local items. Booth fee is $30. Vendors and entertainers are invited to call 637-9364.
* NORTH MARKET North Shore Country Market runs from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturdays at Sunset Beach Elementary School, selling Hawaii-made items exclusively. Vendors are welcome. Call 673-3296.
* WAIALUA CO-OP Waialua Farmers Co-op Market sells local produce, plants and more from 4:30 to 7 p.m. Wednesdays and 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturdays at Waialua Sugar Mill. Call 637-4439.
* WAHIAWA MARKET A farmers market is open from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. each Thursday in the Wahiawa Hongwanji Mission parking lot at 1067 California Ave. Visit wahiawacdbo.org.
* HALEIWA MARKET Haleiwa Farmers Market is open from 3 to 7 p.m. each Thursday in the Pikake Pavilion and main lawn at Waimea Valley. Call 388-9696.
* MILILANI MARKET Mililani High School hosts a farmers market from 8 to 11 a.m. Sundays in the gym parking lot. Call 848-2074.
* CITY MARKETS The People’s Open Market sells produce on Tuesdays from 10 to 11 a.m. at Wahiawa District Park and from 11:45 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at Mililani District Park. Call 522-7088.
* CRESTVIEW CLUB Crestview Seniors Club meets from 9:30 a.m. to noon each Friday at Crestview Community Park for planned fun activities and outings. All residents age 55 and older are welcome. Call Guy at 671-4838.
* SENIOR CLASSES Anuenue Hale Wellness Center at Helemano offers a variety of free weekday classes and activities for seniors, injured war veterans and those with disabilities. Call Yvonne at 622-3929.
* ZUMBA Debbie Rosario leads ongoing Zumba classes at 6:45 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 9 a.m. Saturday at Mililani Waena Elementary. Fee is $5 per class or $45 per month. Call 780-5640.
* ALZHEIMER HELP An Alzheimer’s support group meets at 6:30 p.m. on the fourth Wednesday of the month at The Plaza in Mililani. Call 591-2771.
* MILILANI SENIORS The Mililani Golden Years seniors club meets from 9:30 a.m. to noon Fridays at Mililani District Park for planned activities. All residents age 55 and older are welcome. Call 623-5258.
* PUPUKEA SENIORS Pohai Na Makua o Pupukea seniors club meets monthly at 9:30 a.m. on the first Tuesday, August through May, at Sunset Beach Recreation Center. Call 638-7213.
* HALEIWA SENIORS The Haleiwa Seniors club meets from 8 to 11:30 a.m. every Thursday at Waialua Community Association, across from Haleiwa post office. Arts and crafts teachers also are welcome to assist. Call 637-4606.
* WAHIAWA SENIORS The city sponsors weekly programs and activities for the Wahiawa Rainbows at 8:30 a.m. Mondays at Wahiawa District Park. Call 621-5663.
* WHITMORE SENIORS The city sponsors weekly programs and activities for Whitmore Seniors Club at 9 a.m. Fridays at Whitmore Community Park. Call 622-2420.
* MASTERS SWIM Veterans Memorial Aquatic Center has a U.S. Masters swimming program at 7 p.m. each Monday and Wednesday at Central Oahu Regional Park. Call 677-8849.
* TOASTMASTERS Mililani Toastmasters Club meets at 7:30 p.m. Mondays at Mililani Ike Elementary to help members improve public speaking and leadership skills. Call 220-5093.
* STORIES, FILMS Wahiawa Library sponsors a free storytime from 6 to 7:15 p.m. each Thursday and a free Movie Night at 5 p.m. each Tuesday. Call 622-6345.
* PADDLE FITNESS Rainbow Watersports offers Stand Up Paddle Fitness classes Saturdays at Haleiwa Bay. Call 372-9304.
* HULA Kumu hula Ali’i Manu conducts non-competitive hula classes (auana, kahiko and the aloha spirit) for the community at 7 p.m. Tuesdays at Mililani Uka Elementary School. Men and women ages 15 and up are welcome. Call 478-2400.
* ESCRIMA Patrick Delos Santos leads Kali Escrima classes in Filipino self-defense (stick fighting) at 6:30 p.m. Wednesdays and 9:30 a.m. Saturdays at Mililani Waena Elementary. Fee is $50 per month. Call 398-0119.
* STRIDERS Leeward Stroller Strides meets at 8:45 a.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays at Central Oahu Regional Park. Fee is $60 a month. A Schofield Barracks group meets at 8:45 a.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Call 398-6275.