Central Oahu Highlights
Below are highlights of what’ s happening in Central Oahu. Fax items by Aug. 22 to 585-6324 or email cchang@mid- week.com. The next edition comes out Aug. 29.
• LIBRARIES CLOSED All area public libraries are closed Aug. 17 in observance of Statehood Day. Call 831- 6877.
• BLOOD DRIVES Hawaii Blood Bank has donor drives from 7 a.m. to2p.m.Aug.17and18 at Mililani Town Center. Call 848-4770.
• BON DANCES Mililani Hongwanji Mission’s obon celebration isat7p.m.Aug.17and 18 at 95-257 Kaloapau St. Call 625-0925.
• ROYAL MUSIC The Royal Hawaiian Band performs at noon Aug. 18 at Mililani Town Center. Call 922-5331.
• PET BLESSING Christ Lutheran Church has its annual Pet Blessing Aug. 19 during its 10:30 a.m. service in Mililani. All animals are welcome, and Pastor David Kieffer will do the blessing. Call 623-9229.
• WAHIAWA HIKEThe Hawaiian Trail & Mountain Club leads a 14-mile advanced hike on the Schofield-Waikane Trail at 7 a.m. Aug. 19. Go to htmclub.org.
• KANIKAPILA Waimea Valley sponsors a kanikapila from 1 to 4 p.m. Aug. 19, and on the third Sunday of each month in the park pavilion. Call 638-7766.
• NEIGHBORHOOD BOARDS Wahiawa- Whitmore Village Neighborhood Board meets at 7 p.m. Aug. 20 at Wahiawa District Park, Mililani Mauka-Launani Valley meets at 7 p.m. Aug. 21 at Mililani Mauka Elementary, Mililani- Waipio-Melemanu meets at 7:30 p.m. Aug. 22 at Mililani Rec Center III, and North Shore meets at 7 p.m. Aug. 28 at Haleiwa Elementary cafe- teria. Call 768-3710.
• MEETING DOGS Hawaii Dog Foundation hosts a “meet and greet” session with its adoptable dogs from noon to 2 p.m. Aug. 25 at Mililani Mauka Dog Park, 95-1069 Ukuwai St. Call 782- 8387.
• GARDEN CON- TEST Deadline is Sept. 30 to enter the Wahiawa Town Garden Revival contest, a months-long beautification project sponsored by Wahiawa Historical Society with 4 FOR THE PRICE OF 3 Special offer valid only on weekdays and only on the regular rack rate of $45 Offer not subject to any other discounts. Valid local ID required at check in. Please call the pro shop for further details and for reservations. Expires 9/30/12 cash prizes for the best yard in five categories. Entry forms are at Wahiawa Library and at Wahiawa Botanical Garden. Call 621-0043.
• WAIALUA ART Waialua Library’s annual adult art show, which opened Aug. 9, features “interpretations of life as we know it” by area res- idents Dante Brown, Erin Delventhal, Margaret and Owen Loof, and Quenda Jan Shults. The exhibit continues through Sept. 21. Call 637-8286.
• PREP FOOTBALL Hawaii State Jr. Prep Sports Association is accepting football regis- tration for the fall season for grades 4-6 and 7-8, with teams based in Wahiawa, Waikele and elsewhere. Go to hawai- istatejrprep.com or call 692-3589.