Blood Bank Needs Donors To Keep Supply Up For The Summer
The ideal time to donate blood is May 28 – Memorial Day, when supplies are critical – and the Hawaii Blood Bank is making it easier through its partnership with Baskin-Robbins.
Every donor who gives a pint of blood that day will receive a coupon for a free pint of ice cream from any participating Baskin-Robbins ice cream parlor.
“Keeping the blood supply at a safe level during the summer is quite challenging,” said blood bank vice president Wendy Abe, “because many people go on vacation or are busy with other plans. We are grateful to Baskin-Robbins for helping to heighten awareness of the need for blood among non-donors and to inspire people during this traditionally tough time.”
To make an appointment, call 848-4770.
Hawaii Blood Bank, located at 2043 Dillingham Blvd. in Kalihi, will be open May 28 from 6:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Ewa Beach Elementary School has a drive that day from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m., and so does Manoa Marketplace, from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Other West Oahu community drives this month are listed below (no ice cream, but plenty of appreciation).
* May 11, 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Tony Group Autoplex
* May 12, 7:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. at Kapolei Shopping Center (by Safeway)
* May 13, 8:30 a.m. to 2:15 p.m. at Calvary Chapel of Honolulu at Komo Mai, 98-1016 Komo Mai Drive
* May 14, 7:45 to 10:45 a.m. at Hawaiian Home Lands office in the Kalanianaole Building, 91-5420 Kapolei Parkway
* May 14, 12:45 to 3:45 p.m. at Waipahu Civic Center (behind the library)
* May 18, 7:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. at state Kakuhihewa Building, 601 Kamokila Blvd. in Kapolei
* May 19, 7:15 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at Our Lady of Perpetual Help, 91-1004 North Road in Ewa Beach
* May 27, 7:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Waikele Shopping Center (by Leonard’s Malassadas)