West Oahu Highlights
Below are highlights of what’s coming up in West Oahu. Fax items to 5856324 or email them to firstname.lastname@example.org one week ahead of the Wednesday publication date.
* INFAMY TALK Visiting scholar (and Aiea native) Gary Okihiro discusses “Hora, Hora, Hora, Pearl Harbor and Other Acts of Infamy” at 5 p.m. March 5 in the Kuhialoko Lanai (E building) at UH West Oahu. Call 371-6679.
* ROTARY The Kapolei Sunset Rotary Club marks its third anniversary from 5:30 to 7 p.m. March 5 at Roy’s at Ko Olina. Guest speakers are state librarian Richard Burns and Friends of the Library of Hawaii’s Byrde Cestare. Call Sharon Rolirad at 225-6205.
* NEIGHBORS Ewa Neighborhood Board meets at 7 p.m. March 8 at Ewa Beach Library; the Aiea board meets at 7:30 p.m. March 12 at Aiea Library. Call 768-3710.
* AUGIE T The Leeward AYSO Region 269 sponsors an Augie T. show at 6 p.m. March 9 at Kapolei High School cafeteria. Proceeds support the boys soccer teams’ trip to Tennessee next summer. Call 2231393.
* EARTH DAY Our Savior Lutheran School in Aiea hosts its first Aloha Aina Earth Day mini recycling drive from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. March 10 at the school. Call 497-8815 or 682-5810.
* NISHIHARA TALK State Sen. Clarence Nishihara hosts a coffee hour at 8 a.m. March 10 at the Waipahu Don Quijote. Call 728-1008.
* WHITE ELEPHANT Pearl City Community Church has a white elephant sale from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. March 10 at 933 Lehua Ave. with food, plants and more. Proceeds benefit the River of Life Mission and the UCC Transition House for Women. Call Joanne Takamoto at 839-2056 or Nancy Yoshimoto at 487-7895.
* FILM SCREENING Japanese Cultural Center of Hawaii presents a film about Honouliuli Camp and the history of Japanese internment in Hawaii at 10:30 a.m. March 10 at Kapolei Library. Call 6937050.
* BLOSSOMS The 15 Cherry Blossom contestants make an appearance at noon March 10 at Pearlridge Center on the Uptown stage. Call 949-2255.
* AQUAPONICS The Board of Water Supply and the Aquaponics AssociationHawaii chapter present an “Economical Aquaponics” workshop at 10:30 a.m. March 10 at Halawa Xeriscape Garden. The free program introduces the aquaponics agricultural method of using nutrients from live fish to nourish plants. Register by 2 p.m. March 9 at 748-5363 or email email@example.com. For details, visit boardofwatersupply.com.
* BLOOD DRIVES Hawaii Blood Bank has donor drives from 7:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. March 10 at Kapolei Shopping Center and 8 to 11 a.m. March 13 at Hawaiian Home Lands, 91-5420 Kapolei Parkway. Call 845-9966.
* MANANA HIKE The Hawaiian Trail & Mountain Club leads a 12-mile advanced hike to Pacific Palisade ridge at 8 a.m. March 11. Go to htmclub.org.
* CANCER HELP The Kapolei Cancer Self Help Group meets from 5 to 6:30 p.m. March 11 at Island Pacific Academy, 909 Haumea St. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* AG WORKSHOP Malama Learning Center sponsors a workshop on natural control of insects and weeds from 9 a.m. to noon March 17 at Kahumana Farms in Lualualei Valley. Fee is $10 per person or $25 per family of up to three. Go to malamalearningcenter.org or call Janice Staab at 542-9107 at Kapolei High School.
* BENEFIT DINNER The Ihilani ballroom is the site for the second annual Black & Gold Engagement fundraiser dinner, set for 49 p.m. March 18 to benefit the Nanakuli High wrestling program. Tickets cost $100 each. Call Aika Makaula at 203-3844.
* TOURNAMENT SIGNUPS Register by March 20 for the Kolohe Girls Softball Club’s golf tournament at Barbers Point Golf Course March 23. The cost is $350 per team, which includes green fees and a cart. There also will be prizes and raffles. For more information, call Joe Clark at 216-6214 or email email@example.com.
* FAMILY FUN Aiea High School hosts a Family Fun Fair to celebrate its 50th anniversary from 4 to 9 p.m. March 30 at the school, featuring food, rides, crafts, a petting zoo, pony rides, entertainment, games, country store and more. Scrip costs 50 cents each. Parking is available at Aiea Elementary for a nominal fee. Call Nancy at 3827713.
* VENDORS NEEDED Kapolei Project Grad seeks vendors for its spring craft fair March 31; also planned is a dancing/Zumba class at 8 a.m. for $10. Call 4788582 or 753-4374.