West Oahu Highlights
Send West Oahu items to email@example.com or fax them to 585-6324 by June 5 to be considered for the June 12 edition.
* BOWLING Aiea Bowl hosts a special edition of Madhouse Mondays with a BAMF party from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m. June 3, featuring art, music, fashion and bowling for ages 18 and older. Call 488-6854.
* ZUMBA Debbie Rosa-rio opens a new Zumba class at 6 p.m. June 7 at Makakilo Elementary, meeting each Friday for $5 per class. Call 780-5640.
* RONALD McDonald’s Restaurants sponsors “Book Time with Ronald McDonald” at 10:30 a.m. June 3 at Kapolei Library (693-7050), 10:30 a.m. June 7 at Ewa Beach Library (689-1204), 1 p.m. June 10 at Pearl City Library (453-6566), 10:30 a.m. June 18 at Aiea Library (483-7333) and 2:30 p.m. June 28 at Waipahu Library (675-0358).
* AIEA BOOK CLUB Aiea Book Club meets at 6:30 p.m. June 6 at the Aiea Library to discuss Katherine Govier’s The Printmaker’s Daughter. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* ROTARY TOUR Kapolei Rotary Club meets at 7:30 a.m. June 6 for “breakfast on the road” at Hawaii National Guard Youth Challenge Academy at 1787 Shangrila Ave. Email email@example.com.
* ORCHID SHOWAiea Orchid Club’s annual orchid show and sale is open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. June 7 and 8, and 9 a.m.-3 p.m. June 9 at Aiea Elementary School, with lectures, demonstrations, displays and sales. A barbecue chicken sale is planned for 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. June 8, with tickets available. Call 224-5824.
* PLANTING The Urban Garden Center hosts “Let’s Plant” in its children’s gardening series from 9 a.m. to noon June 8 at 955 Kamehameha Hwy. Topics are sowing seeds, building raised beds and getting dirty. Call 453-6050.
* GEOCACHING Kapolei Library plans a Geo-caching program at 10:30 a.m. June 8 to explain all one needs to know about the global hide-and-seek game. Call 693-7050.
* HEALTH TESTS Sam’s Club pharmacy in Pearl City offers free men’s health screenings from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. June 8, including prostate, thyroid, blood pressure, body mass and vision tests. Visit samsclub.com/clublocator.
* OPEN MARKET Prince Kuhio Community Center has an open market from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. June 8 at 91-1270 Kinoiki St. in Kapolei, near the Hawaiian Home Lands building. Call 780-6082, 394-0050 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* BLOOD DRIVES Hawaii Blood Bank has donor drives from 7 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. June 8 at Kapolei Shopping Center, 7:30-11:45 a.m. June 11 at Waikele Center, 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. June 12 at Leeward Community College, and 10 a.m.-2:15 p.m. June 13 at Ihilani Resort’s Ocean Ballroom. Call 848-4770.
* NEIGHBORS Aiea Neighborhood Board meets at 7:30 p.m. June 10 at Aiea Library, and Ewa meets at 7 p.m. June 13 at Ewa Beach Library. Call 768-3710.
* HULA CAMPS Na Pua o Keko’olani Halau has summer hula camps in Makakilo for wahine and keiki ages 4 and older from 4 to 6 p.m. June 10-13, and from 4 to 6 p.m. Thursdays, July 11-Aug. 15. Call 754-0051 or email email@example.com. * KAPOLEI PLANS E Ola Pono Ma Kapolei Community Coalition begins planning for its October community day at 6:30 p.m. June 12 at Kapolei High cafeteria. Everyone is welcome. Call 484-9787.
* CHORUS Hawaii Youth Chorus offers summer classes in chorus (ages 5-12) and glee (ages 12-17) on Wednesdays from June 12 to July 17 at Waipahu United Church of Christ on Mokuola Street. The chorus meets at 5:30 p.m. and glee meets at 6:30 p.m. Fee is $99. Call 623-2411.
* ROTARY SPEAKER Kapolei Rotary Club meets at 7:30 a.m. June 13 in the Kapolei High teachers lounge to hear from Hunt Co. developers about their planned Kalaeloa housing project. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* CHARITY GOLF The Joshua Neves Children’s Foundation has its benefit golf tournament starting at 10 a.m. June 14 at Hawaii Prince Golf Club in Ewa Beach. Fee is $435 for a three-person team, including lunch, dinner, prizes and more. Visit nevesfoundation.org.
* TRAINING The Building Industry Foundation course, ComPACT: Building Skills to Build Lives, accepts applications for course scholarships through June 14 from adults living in the Ewa Beach area for pre-apprenticeship construction training. Call 629-7505.
* STARGAZING The Hawaiian Astronomical Society hosts a free “star party” from 7:15 to 10 p.m. June 15 at Geiger Community Park in Ewa by Gentry, 1129 Kahiuka St., complete with telescopes and astronomers. Call 683-0118 or email email@example.com.
* MUSUBI MAN Honolulu Theatre for Youth presents a free performance of Musubi Man at 10:30 a.m. June 15 at Kapolei Library (693-7050), and 10:30 a.m. June 18 at Waipahu Library (675-0358).
* SOCCER TRYOUTS Ka’oi Soccer Club conducts free tryouts from 10 a.m. to noon June 15 for boys and girls ages 7 to 19 at Waiau Community Park. Registration starts at 9 a.m. Call Monty at 864-2791.
* YOGA Free classes in Holistic Energy Yoga meet at 10:30 a.m. Wednesdays at Waiau District Park. Call 381-4376.
* HIDEAWAY BAND 11th Hour performs original and cover rock music from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. every third Saturday at the Hideaway, 1 Coral Sea Road in Kalaeloa. Free admission for ages 21 and older with military ID. Call 347-1323.
* ZUMBA Kaiser Permanente leads a Zumba class at 5:30 p.m. Monday and Wednesday, now through June 17 at its Waipio Clinic. Fee is $6.50 per class for non-members. Call 432-2260.
* TACKLE BALL USO Athletic Club is signing up players in grades 5-8 for tackle football (no weight limit) and grades 1-4 for flag football (Jr. Prep league). Coaches also are needed. For details, call Leilani at 275-6134.
* VEGGIE COOKS Down to Earth has free vegetarian cooking classes at 4 and 5:30 p.m. Wednesdays at its Kapolei store, and at 5:30 p.m. on the first and third Monday at its Pearlridge store. Call 947-3249.
* ZUMBA Pinoy Crew 808 leads Zumba classes at 6:30 p.m. each Wednesday and Friday at the FilCom Center. Fee is $5 per session. Call 680-0451.
* STRIDERS The Leeward Stroller Strides group meets at 8:45 a.m. Tuesdays and Thursday at Central Oahu Regional Park, offering a fitness walk for moms and tots in strollers. Fee is $60 a month. A Kapolei group meets at 8:45 a.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Call 398-6275.
* HULA No Kealoha O Hula has classes Wednesday nights in Waipahu, with beginners at 6 and intermediate students at 7:10 p.m. Call 478-0404.
* MASTERS SWIM Veterans Memorial Aquatic Center offers U.S. Masters swimming at 7 p.m. Monday and Wednesday at Central Oahu Regional Park. Call 677-8510.