West Oahu Highlights
Send West Oahu items by fax to 585-6324 or email firstname.lastname@example.org by Jan. 9 to be considered for the Jan. 16 edition.
* DANCE KAPOLEI The Kapolei chapter of Hawaii Ballroom Dance Association registers students at 7 p.m. Jan. 7, 14 and 28 at Kapolei Elementary cafeteria for Monday night classes in rumba, East Coast swing and samba. Classes begin at 7 p.m. Jan. 7 for eight weeks. Call 781-2076 or 220-6026.
* AARP DRIVERS Kaiser Permanente’s Waipio Clinic hosts an AARP Driver Safety program from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Jan. 8 at 94-1480 Moaniani St. Fee is $12 for AARP members, $14 for non-members. Call 1-888-227-7669.
* WAIMALU DANCE The Pearlridge chapter of Hawaii Ballroom Dance Association registers students at 7 p.m. Jan. 8 and 15 for classes at Waimalu Elementary School, running from Jan. 8 to Feb. 26 at the school, with nominal fees charged. Call 488-3935.
* CAREGIVERS The Caregiver Foundation hosts caregiver support groups at 7 p.m. Jan. 8 in the Pearl City-Aiea area (call 625-3782 for site) and 7 p.m. Jan. 24 at its Kapolei offices. Call 625-3782.
* NEIGHBORS The Ewa Neighborhood Board meets at 7 p.m. Jan. 10 at Ewa Beach Library; the Aiea board meets at 7:30 p.m. Jan. 14 at Aiea Library, the Pearl City board at 7 p.m. Jan. 22 at Waiau District Park; Makakilo-KapoleiHonokai Hale at 7 p.m. Jan. 23 at Kapolei High cafeteria; and Waipahu at 7 p.m. Jan. 24 at the FilCom Center. Call 768-3710.
* CAFE MUSIC 3rd Cup Cafe & Venue in the Royal Times Kunia Building presents Open Mic Night at 7:30 p.m. Jan. 11, and Heavy Weights playing contemporary Hawaiian music at 8 p.m. Jan. 12. Featured artist for January is Guy Vaught. Call 888-6087.
* ROYAL MUSIC The Royal Hawaiian Band plays a free concert at noon Jan. 12 at Pearlridge Center Uptown. Call 922-5331.
* BLOOD DRIVES Hawaii Blood Bank has donor drives from 7 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Jan. 12 at Kapolei Shopping Center (near Safeway), 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Jan. 16 at Simplex Grinnell on Koaha Place in Aiea, 7 a.m. to 2:15 p.m. Jan. 20 at Waikele Center (near Leonard’s), and 7 a.m. to 2:15 p.m Jan. 27 at the Ewa Town Center Foodland. Call 848-4770.
* VERMICELLI Registered dietitian Ruth Madden presents “Versatile Vermicelli: Quick and Cost-effective Ways to Prepare Healthy Meals” at 10:30 a.m. Jan. 12 at Kapolei Library. Recipes and resources provided. Call 693-7050.
* NISHIHARA TALK State Sen. Clarence Nishihara hosts a monthly coffee hour at 8 a.m. Jan. 12 at the Waipahu Don Quijote store. Call 728-1008.
* GABBARD HOUR State Sen. Michael Gabbard hosts a Listen Story at 9 a.m. Jan. 12 at the Ewa Zippy’s on Fort Weaver Road. Call 586-6830.
* RICE COLLECTION The Rotary Club of Kapolei collects bags of rice (15 pounds or larger) for Hawaii Foodbank from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Jan. 12 at the Kapolei Foodland.
* BOXING CLINICS A free boxing coaches clinic runs from noon to 5 p.m Jan. 12 at Pearlside Boxing Gym, 2045 Lauwiliwili St. in Kapolei, followed by an officials clinic the same time Jan. 13. Those who complete the clinics can apply for officials certification. Email Eiichi Jumawan at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
* TAX PREP CLASS Hawaii Tax Help offers volunteer tax preparer training from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Jan. 12, and 8 to 11:30 a.m. and 12:30 to 4:30 p.m. Jan. 19 at Leeward Community College in Room GT-105. Learn it yourself, then help someone else. To sign up, call 381-0881 or email email@example.com.
* HEALING TOUCH Client-Centered Massage offers free healing touch treatments from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Jan. 12-March 30 by appointment at 98-027 Hekaha St. #44 in Aiea. Call Amber at 457-2661.
* COLLEGE GOAL Waipahu High School hosts a College Goal Sunday at 1 p.m. Jan. 13 in the cafeteria to assist students and parents in completing the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) form. Bring 2012 IRS tax returns, if possible, or W-2 forms and other income details. Call Frank Green at 591-2708.
* KAPOLEI DANCE The Kapolei Ballroom Dance chapter registers students at 7 p.m. Jan. 14 and 28 at Kapolei Elementary cafeteria for Monday night classes in rumba, East Coast swing and samba. Classes begin at 7 p.m. Jan. 7 for eight weeks. Call 781-2076 or 220-6026.
* SCHOLARSHIPS The Office of Hawaiian Affairs presents a briefing on available Native Hawaiian scholarships and financial aid at 6 p.m. Jan. 15 at the UH-West Oahu student center, and at 3 p.m. Jan. 23 at the Leeward Community College campus center. Call 594-1888.
* FOOD JUSTICE Renowned sustainable agriculture and food justice advocate, Dr. Vandana Shiva, presents “Seed Freedom is Food Freedom” at 7 p.m. Jan. 16 at the Salvation Army Ray Kroc Center in Kapolei. Call 429-5310.
* STARGAZING The Hawaiian Astronomical Society hosts a free “star party” with telescopes from 6:15 to 10 p.m. Jan. 19 at Geiger Community Park, 91-1129 Kahiuka St. Call 683-0118.
* AQUAPONICS Malama Learning Center, based at Kapolei High School, conducts an introductory workshop on aquaponics at 9 a.m. Jan. 19 at Mari’s Garden in Mililani. Fee is $10 per person or $25 for a family of three or less. Register at malamalearningcenter.org or call 542-9107.
* CAR SEATS Kaiser Permanente offers a free safety inspection of child car seats and booster seats from 3:30 to 6 p.m. Jan. 25 at its Waipio clinic, 94-1480 Moaniani. St. Call 432-2260.
* CIVIL WAR SHOW Kapolei Library welcomes a special traveling exhibit Jan. 28-Feb. 14: “Civil War 150: Exploring the War and its Meaning Through the World of Those Who Lived It,” supported by the National Endowment for the Humanities and other grants. Call 693-7050.
* ZUMBA WAIPIO Kaiser Permanente has Zumba classes at 5:30 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays now through Feb. 25 at its Waipio Clinic, 94-1480 Moaniani St. Fee is $5 per class for Kaiser members, $6.50 for non-members. Call 432-2260.
* ZUMBA KAPOLEI Kaiser Permanente’s Kapolei Clinic hosts classes in Zumba Tone at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday, now through Feb. 19 in the clinic’s first-floor lobby. Fee is $5 per class for Kaiser members, $6.50 for non-members. Call 432-2260.
* SLACK KEY Yameen Fong teaches beginner slack-key guitar classes in four sessions at 6:30 p.m. Thursdays at Ewa Beach Community Park on North Road. Students should bring their own guitars. Call 685-6035 evenings or visit fongsmusic.homestead.com.
* EWA CERT The Ewa Beach Emergency Preparedness Committee working to organize Community Emergency Preparedness Teams (CERT) to train residents in how to respond to a disaster. To request training or offer help, call chairman Donald Harlor at 682-0111.
* PREP FOOTBALL The Kapolei Islanderz are registering boys and girls in grades 4-8 for junior prep tackle football. Fee is $183 with no weight limit. Call 275-6134.
* YOGA Holistic Energy Yoga classes meet at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday-Friday at Momilani Community Center. Fee is $5 per class. Call 381-4376.
* RUGBY Players and coaches can join USO Athletics-Hawaii Youth Rugby in several age-group teams for boys, and under 16 for girls. Go to hawaiiyouthrugby.com or call 692-3589.
* BRIDGE PLAYERS Bridge and/or pinochle players are invited to join in games in Ko Olina with area residents. Call Valerie at 206-391-1755.
* ROLLER DERBY The West Oahu Roller Derby’s Aloha City Rollers practice and train evenings at a track at Kalaeloa. Men and women age 18 and older are welcome as new players or referees. Positive attitude and teamwork required. Go to alohacityrollers.com or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* SENIOR EXERCISE Hideo Kimura leads free wellness education classes for seniors and others from noon to 2 p.m. Mondays and Fridays and from 10 a.m. to noon Wednesdays at Crestview Park building in Waipio Gentry, covering Ki energy and development, self-improvement and aikido warm-up exercises. Call 671-4838 or 671-1422.