West Oahu Highlights
Below are highlights of what’ s coming up in West Oahu. Fax items to 585- 6324 or email firstname.lastname@example.org one week ahead of the Wednesday publication date.
• CHOLESTEROL Kaiser Permanente has a free public Senior Summit lecture at 10 a.m. Aug. 13 at its Waipio Clinic on “The Way to your Heart is Thru your Stomach,” taught by a clinical dietitian. The clinic is at 94-1480 Moaniani St. Call 432- 2235 to sign up.
• NEIGHBORS Aiea Neighborhood Board meets at 7:30 p.m. Aug. 13 at Aiea Library; Makakilo- Kapolei-Honokai Hale at 7 p.m. Aug. 22 at Kapolei High cafeteria; Waipahu at 7 p.m. Aug. 23 at the FilCom Center, and Pearl City at 7 p.m. Aug. 28 at Waiau District Park. Call 768-3710.
• BLOOD DRIVES Hawaii Blood Bank has donor drives from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Aug. 14 at Tony Group Autoplex on Ka Uka Boulevard; 7 to 11:15 a.m. Aug. 17 at Kapolei Bank of Hawaii; 7 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Aug. 18 at Kapolei Shopping Center; 8 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. Aug. 19 at Calvary Chapel at Waipio Shopping Center; and 7:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Aug. 30 at Kapolei High School Room J-207. Call 848-4770.
• POLICE AWARDS Pearlridge Center hosts HPD’s quarterly officer and citizen awards ceremonies at 11 a.m. Aug. 15 at Uptown center court. Call 488-0981.
• BUSINESS A Small Business Administration Resource Day is planned from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Aug. 15 at First Hawaiian Bank Pearlridge, and Aug. 22 at Bank of Hawaii Kapolei, sponsored by the U.S. Small Business Adminstration for small-business owners. Call 541-2990, ext. 211.
• ROTARY TALK Laura Kodama, planning and development director for Castle & Cooke Homes Hawaii, is guest speaker at Kapolei Rotary Club’s 7:30 a.m. breakfast meeting Aug. 16 in the faculty lounge at Kapolei High School. Her topic: Koa Ridge. Call 722- 1489 or email email@example.com.
• MAOLI MARKET Hawaii Maoli sponsors an open market from 3 to 7 p.m. Aug. 17 at 91-1270 Kinoiki St. near the Kapolei Hawaiian Home Lands building. Food, health services and community booths are planned. Call 780-6082 or 394-0050.
• LIBRARIES CLOSED All area public libraries are closed Aug. 17 in observance of Statehood Day. The Aiea Library also will close Aug. 18. Call 831-6877.
• ART SHOWCASE Pearlridge Center hosts Creations of Hawaii from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Aug. 17- 19 at Uptown center court, featuring local artisans and products in a variety of art forms. Call 488-0981.
• HAWAII MADE Pearlridge Center hosts a Made-in-Hawaii weekend from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Aug. 17-19 in Uptown, lower level. Call 488-0981.
• KUNIA MUSIC 3rd Cup Cafe & Venue presents Heavy Weights at 8 p.m. Aug. 17 (contemporary) and Slam Poetry at 8 p.m. Aug. 18 on the second floor of the Times building in Royal Kunia. Call 888- 6087.
• ORGANIZED Simply Organized conducts a free workshop at 1 p.m Aug. 18 “Kitchen Blitz” with Lasar McCabe from Hawaii Hausfrau at its Kapolei store on Kamokila Boulevard. Call 693-8888.
• DOGGIE DATES Doggie Date Night runs from3to8p.m.Aug.18 at Aloha Stadium parking lot with food trucks and craft vendors for humans and their pets. Proceeds go to the Hawaiian Humane Society. Call 946-2187.
• SPECIAL OLYMPICS The Hawaii Special Olympics Aukake Classic is Aug. 18-19 in Pearl City, bringing 400 coaches and athletes from across the state to Waiau District Park for soccer and bocce competitions. Call 943-8808.
• GOLF TOURNEY Aug. 20 is the deadline to register for the The Honolulu Council of the Navy League’s ninth annual Navy League Golf Tournament Aug. 31. Cost is $150 per golfer, or $450 for a team of three. Check-in begins at 10:30 a.m., and the tour- nament begins at 12:30. For more information on registration and sponsorship opportunities, call Bob McDermott at 422-9404 or email NavyLeague@hawaii.rr.com .
• KUNIA MUSIC 3rd Cup Cafe & Venue presents Open Mic Night at 7:30 p.m. Aug. 24 and Tony Kato and Ken Leong jazz music at 7:30 p.m. Aug. 31 on the second floor of the Times building in Royal Kunia. Call 888-6087.
• AIEA HIKE The Hawaiian Trail & Mountain Club leads a 5-mile inter- mediate hike at 8 a.m. Aug. 25 to Kalauao and the Aiea Loop Trail. Go to htmclub.org.
• STARGAZING Hawaii Astronomical Society brings its telescopes to Geiger Community Park from 6:30 to10p.m.Aug.25fora
night of stargazing. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• AIEA BON Aiea Hongwanji Mission has bon dancing at 7 p.m. Aug. 25 at 99-186 Puakala St. Call 488-5685 or 487-2626.
• LIBRARY ANNIVERSARY For its eighth anniversary, Kapolei Public Library hosts a free party from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Aug. 25. The event will include a book sale, live entertainment, keiki crafts and more. Call 693- 7050.
• FORECLOSURE SEMINAR Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties hosts a seminar on “Keeping Your Home And Avoiding Foreclosure” from 10 to 11:30 a.m. at its Kunia office. Reservations required. Call 947-8101.
• ROTARY TALK Florence Nakakuni, U.S. Attorney for Hawaii, is guest speaker at Kapolei Rotary Club’s 7:30 a.m. breakfast meeting Aug. 30 in the faculty lounge at Kapolei High School. Call 722-1489 or email email@example.com.
• LIVE MUSIC The Saloon Pilots play from 8:30 to 11 p.m. Aug. 31 at Big City Diner Waipio. No cover charge. Call 678- 8868.
• LIBRARY CLOSURES All public libraries will be closed Sept. 1-3 in observance of Labor Day.
• SENIOR CARE Kaiser Permanente Social Work Department hosts a seminar to discuss senior care options from 9 to 10 p.m. Sept. 5 at Leeward YMCA. To register, call 671-6495.
• PARENTING WORKSHOP Parent Project classes kick off Sept. 4 and run through Nov. 6. All classes will be held from 6 to 8:30 p.m. at the KROC Center in Kapolei. Cost is $25. Call 256-5933.
• FAIR VENDORS The Ewa Beach Emergency Preparedness Fair commit- tee seeks vendors and sponsors for its second annual event Sept. 8. Call 682- 0111 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.