West Oahu Highlights
Send West Oahu items to email@example.com by April 23 to be considered for the April 30 edition.
* ROTARY TALK U.S. Sen. Brian Schatz addresses Kapolei Rotary Club’s 7:30 a.m. meeting April 24 in the faculty lounge at Kapolei High. Call 722-2489 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* ONION FEST Aloun Farms hosts its Sweet Onion Festival from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. April 26-27, celebrating agriculture and Easter season with activities, hayrides, live entertainment, crafts, produce sales, rides and a food drive. Admission is $3. Call 677-9516.
* AYSO SIGNUPS Leeward AYSO 269 has onsite registration from 5 to 7 p.m. April 26 at Kapolei Middle School, 3-5 p.m. May 10 at Nanakuli High cafeteria, and online (since March 1) at eayso.org. Fall season starts in August.
* OLD DRUGS The National Take-Back Initiative accepts unused or expired medications for safe, anonymous disposal from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. April 26 at the Pearl City Police Station and Pearl Harbor Navy Exchange, sponsored by the Diversion Control Division of the U.S Department of Justice. Call 541-1930.
* WAIPIO SWAPS Waipio Shopping Center has its Spring Swap Meet and Craft Fair from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. April 26, featuring Mother’s Day gifts and new vendor items. Visit shopwaipio.com or call 523-9744.
* MARSH HELP Hawaii Nature Center volunteers help to clean up and restore Pouhala Marsh from 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. April 26. Call 955-0100, ext. 118.
* NATURE PHOTOS Malama Learning Center’s Nature Photography class is a “Without Walls” workshop from 7 a.m. to noon April 26 along Palikea Trail in Makakilo. Hikers should register and arrive with camera and good hiking equipment. Fee is $15, or $40 for families of up to three people. Call 220-4166.
* ORGANIZED Simply Organized hosts a free talk on “Downsizing and De-cluttering” at 1 p.m. April 26 at its Kapolei store, 889 Kamokila Blvd. Call 693-8888.
* EWA PRIDE Ewa by Gentry Community Association presents a Pride for Ewa concert from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. April 26 with Anuhea, Augie T, Jordan Segundo, emcee Al Waterson, plus rides, food and crafts, at Hoalauna Park, 91-1330 Keaunui Drive. Call 685-0111.
* RECYCLING Waikele Elementary School conducts a community recycling drive from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. April 26 at 94-1035 Kukula St. Call 291-6151.
* FILIPINA STORIES FilCom Center presents stories from plantation-era Filipinas (by their descendants) from 3:30 to 6:30 p.m. April 27 as part of FilCom Sunday at 94-428 Mokuola St. Moderator is author and historian Patricia Brown. Call 680-0451.
* PEARL CITY AYSO Pearl City AYSO Region 381 has registration for fall from 12:30 to 3:30 p.m. April 27 and May 4 at Waiau District Park on Kaahumanu Street. All those born between Aug. 1, 1995, and July 31, 2010, are welcome. Fee is $70 and includes uniform. Bring proof of birthdate. For details, visit eayso.org, call 330-2257 or email email@example.com.
* ZUMBATHON Fil-Com Center sponsors a Zumbathon from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. April 28, hosted by Philippine Nurses Association of Hawaii with instructors Troy and Rose Mendoza and others from the Pinoy Crew and more. Donation is $10 in advance, $15 at the door (to benefit FilCom). Bring towel and water bottle. Call 426-6183.
* OHA TOWN HALL OHA’s nation-building program sponsors a town hall meeting at 6:30 p.m. April 30 to talk story about a Hawaiian-managed future at Hale Ponoi, Department of Hawaiian Home Lands in Kapolei. Visit oha.org/nationbuilding.
* MAY DAY VENDORS Kapolei High School seeks vendors and crafters for its May Day Celebration & Community Fair, set for 3 to 8 p.m. May 2. Call Lolita at 692-8200, ext. 2246.