Snow, Parades And More Come To West Oahu For The Holidays
With December almost here, the holiday season is under way – and there are plenty of ways to get in the spirit right here in West Oahu. Here’s a rundown of various activities during the first two weeks of December.
* A good way to kick off the holidays is by decorating your home – and Halawa Xeriscape Garden shows how to do it with its Holiday Wreath Making Workshop from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Saturday. Participants will learn how to create colorful, festive holiday wreathes from less-thirsty xeriscape plants.
Participants should bring their own wreath backing (preferably made from straw) floral “U” pins, floral wired picks, clippers and decorations for the wreath.
The workshop is free for members of Friends of the Halawa Xeriscape Garden and costs $5 for non-members.
Registration closes at 2 p.m. Friday. Email email@example.com or call Diane at 748-5363 to register.
* Kapolei Commons hosts Snow Day from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday. In addition to 10 tons of snow to play in, there also will be free photos with Santa, giveaways, crafts and more. For more information, visit thekapoleicommons.com.
* Santa is coming to town for the Pearl City Christmas Parade at 4 p.m. Sunday. The parade starts at Momilani Elementary School, turns on Hoolaulea St. and finishes at Pearl City Shopping Center.
Marching in the parade will be the Pearl City High School band, lion dancers, costumed characters, car clubs and more. Santa also will be making a special appearance. After the parade, awards will be presented for the best Marching Group and Best Float.
* To hear some of your favorite Christmas classics, check out Kapolei Chorale’s free Christmas Concert at 10:30 a.m. Dec. 8 at Kapolei Library. Under the direction of Doris Dudley, the group sings four-part harmony. In addition to its holiday songs, the group’s repertoire also includes ancient chants. For more information, call 672-8888.
* Hop aboard a holiday boat tour at Pearl Harbor, where you can view the ships and submarines that have been decorated for the holiday season. Sponsored by the National Park Service and Pearl City Lions Club, the tour runs from Dec. 14 to 16. Boats depart from the Pearl Harbor Visitor Center between 6:15 and 8 p.m. in 15-minute intervals.
Participants are encouraged to bring non-perishable canned food for donations.
Seating is limited, and advanced registration is recommended. For more information and to make a reservation, email your desired ticket time and day and the number of tickets needed to firstname.lastname@example.org m
* The Waianae Coast Rotary Club hosts its 17th annual Christmas Day Parade at 10 a.m. Dec. 15, starting at Waianae Boat Harbor, ending at the Waianae Mall.