Girl Scouts Win Their Gold
East Oahu Girl Scout Troop #379 struck gold this spring as five members received their Gold Awards during an April 25 ceremony at Central Union Church. Troop #404 also earned one of the awards, which are considered the highest honor in Girl Scouting; only about 16 percent of eligible members nationwide ever achieve it.
Winners are listed below.
• Jessica Dang created a comfortable reading corner for the Boys & Girls Club of Hawaii at Waianae Clubhouse and stocked it with modern books to get middle and high school students enthused about reading.
• Yin Young Kim organized a leader development camp for ages 10-17 to nurture confidence and fight obesity by eating right and staying active.
• Jamie Kosaki’s obesity project took fourthand fifth-graders to Camp Paumalu to instill a balanced diet and exercise, using soccer, volleyball and lessons on nutrition.
• Jenna Kumabe organized a weekend leadership camp to build skills and confidence among 60 girls.
• Cailyn Tsukamoto led a sustainable art lesson using plants and recycled materials to help girls express themselves through art and nature at Camp Paumalu.
• Alice Liggett of Troop 404 provided military families of deployed service members with recreational opportunities at Armed Services YMCA at Pearl Harbor.