East Oahu Highlights
Send East Oahu items by fax to 585-6324 or email email@example.com. The next edition is Jan. 1, and deadline is Dec. 25.
* PARK SIGNUPS City parks offer online registration for their spring programs Dec. 16-24 at honolulu-parks.com. Walk-in registration is Jan. 8, 9 and 10.
* POP-UP BOOKS Mutual Publishing’s final “popup” book store dates are 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Dec. 16-20 and 23, and 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Dec. 21 at 1215 Center St. Call 732-1709.
* POLAR MATINEE Hawaii Kai Library screens the free film Polar Express at 2:30 p.m. Dec. 18. Call 397-5833.
* MINI ART Koa Art Gallery at KCC presents the annual Mixed Media Miniature exhibit through Dec. 18. Call 734-9374.
* NEIGHBORS Kaimuki Neighborhood Board is scheduled to meet at 7 p.m. Dec. 18 and Jan. 15 at Kaimuki Christian Church fellowship hall, Diamond Head-Kapahulu-St. Louis Heights Neighborhood Board meets at 7 p.m. Jan. 9 at Ala Wai Clubhouse, and Waialae-Kahala meets at 7 p.m. Jan. 16 at Hoaloha Kai Montessori School on Hunakai Street. Call 768-3710.
* MALL STAGE Kahala Mall presents the Kaimuki Middle School Advanced Strings at 6 p.m. and “Merry Tuba Christmas” at 7 p.m. Dec. 19, with other entertainment daily through Dec. 23. Call 732-7736.
* ELF PLAY Diamond Head Theatre’s Elf the Musical is on stage Dec. 19-Dec. 29, Thursdays through Sundays. Call 733-0274 for tickets.
* THIRD FRIDAY Third Friday Kaimuki runs from 5 to 9 p.m. Dec. 20 showcasing dozens of restaurants, shops and bars on Waialae between Koko Head and 8th avenues. Merchants offer entertainment, demonstrations and product samples, including glass blowing, health foods and live performances. Visit kaimuki-hawaii.com.
* MAKAPUU HIKE Sierra Club leads a 3-mile moderate hike along the Makapuu coast Dec. 21. Call Ed at 223-5765.
* STRING CONCERT Sandra Wong String Studio performs a free Christmas concert at 2 p.m. Dec. 22 at Kaimuki Library. Call 733-8422.
* CHRISTMAS EVE Chaminade University celebrates Christmas Eve Mass at 7:30 p.m. Dec. 24 in the Mystical Rose Oratory. Call 735-4711.
* ART DEADLINE Deadline to enter the Independence Day at Maunalua Bay Festival logo contest is Dec. 28. Students in grades K-8 may submit drawings of “What I love about Independence Day at Maunalua Bay” to MCF Art Contest, 7177 Kamilo St., Honolulu, HI 96825. Visit mcfhawaii.org.
* PHONE CLASS Verizon Wireless offers a free hands-on training workshop at 9 a.m. Dec. 29 at its Kahala Mall store. Go to vzwworkshops.com.
* SHARE LOVE Subaru Hawaii and Big Brothers Big Sisters sponsor a drive for clothing and household items now through Dec. 31 at collection bins at five dealerships, including the Servco Subaru in Kaimuki. The public can bring BB/BS donations to the dealership throughout the car company’s “Share the Love” campaign. Call 564-2329.
* MEDITATION Palolo Hongwanji hosts a Year-End Reflection Meditation Service, Naikan, at 6 p.m. Dec. 31 at 1641 Palolo Ave. Naikan is a structured method of self-reflection based on the teaching of Jodo Shinshu. Call 732-1491.
* BOOK SALE The Friends of Hawaii Kai Library book store is open from 12:30 to 4:30 p.m. Monday, and 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Tuesday-Thursday, and 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday in the library basement. During December (except for library closure dates), all craft and hobby books are half price. Call 397-5833.
* CRATER HIKE Hawaiian Trail & Mountain Club leads a 3-mile intermediate hike to Koko Crater at 8 a.m Jan. 1. Visit htm-club.org.
* SUMMITS State Rep. Gene Ward’s chief of staff Paige Altonn runs a “coffee summit” from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Jan. 7 at Zippy’s and a “beer summit” from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Jan. 9 at Kona Brewing Co. Pub, both in Koko Marina Center. Call 586-6420.
* JAZZERCISE Midori Cowart leads morning Jazzercise classes at Palolo Hongwanji, 1641 Palolo Ave. Call 349-3457.
* WEIGHT LOSS Kaiser Permanente hosts ongoing Weight Watchers meetings at 6 p.m. Thursdays (except Nov. 28) at its clinic in Hawaii Kai Executive Plaza. Call 1-800-651-6000.
* KCC MARKET The Hawaii Farm Bureau’s Tuesday night market is open from 4 to 7 p.m. each Tuesday in the grassy area above the main college parking lot. Call 848-2074.