East Oahu Highlights
Send East Oahu items by fax to 585-6324 or email email@example.com. The next edition is Dec. 4, and deadline is Nov. 28.
* SHARE LOVE Subaru Hawaii and Big Brothers Big Sisters are partnering on a drive for clothing and household items between now and Dec. 31 at collection bins at five dealerships, including the Servco Subaru Waialae location in Kaimuki. The public can bring BB/BS donations to the dealership throughout Subaru’s annual “Share the Love” campaign. Call 564-2329.
* BLOOD DRIVES Hawaii Blood Bank has donor drives from 8 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. Nov. 18 at Kapiolani Community College, 8 a.m.-2:30 p.m. Nov. 19 at Chaminade University, 7-11:30 a.m. Nov. 26 at Saint Louis School, 9 a.m.-1:45 p.m. Dec. 3 at Kapiolani Community College and 9 a.m.-12:15 p.m. Dec. 12 at Foodland headquarters on Harding Avenue. Call 848-4770.
* SLEEP Kaiser Permanente sponsors a free Senior Summit lecture on “Sleep Secrets” at 10:30 a.m. Nov. 19 at New Hope Diamond Head Resource Center, 4211 Waialae Ave. #1030. Call 737-5544.
* NEIGHBORS Kaimuki Neighborhood Board meets at 7 p.m. Nov. 20 and Dec. 19 at Kaimuki Christian Church, Waialae-Kahala meets at 7 p.m. Nov. 21 at Hoaloha Kai Montessori School, Hawaii Kai at 7 p.m. Nov. 26 at Hahaione Elementary cafeteria, Kuliouou-Kalani Iki at 7 p.m. Dec. 5 at Aina Haina Library, and Palolo at 7 p.m. Dec. 11 at Palolo Elementary cafeteria. Call 768-3710.
* HANAUMA TALK Hanauma Bay Education Center’s free lecture at 6:30 p.m. Nov. 21 is “Predicting Microbial Pollution Patterns in Hilo Bay,” presented by UH Hilo graduate student Caree Weisz in the park theater. Call 387-5840.
* ROYAL MUSIC Royal Hawaiian Band plays at 1:15 p.m. Nov. 23 at the Wilson Elementary School fun fair. The fair runs from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at 4945 Kilauea Ave. with food, activities, a book fair and more. Call 733-4740.
* FILM BENEFIT Nation Hawaiian Legal Corporation hosts a film benefit from 5 to 9 p.m. Nov. 23 at Mamiya Theatre at Saint Louis School. Tickets cost $75 general or $25 for students, featuring live music, pupus, valet parking, a silent auction, no-host cocktails and a screening of Islands of Sanctuary, the fourth episode of the Sacred Lands Film Project. Proceeds support NHLC’s mission to address legal challenges of Native Hawaiians. Call 521-2302.
* FREE FEAST Kaimuki Christian Church offers a free Thanksgiving dinner from 4:30 to 8 p.m. Nov. 24 at Palolo Elementary School. Call 292-6539.
* ART WORKSHOPS Art Exploratorium leads children’s art workshops this month and next in Kaimuki, offering clay creations and Japanese enameling Nov. 24, holiday decorating Dec. 1, greeting cards Dec. 8 and ornament-making Dec. 15, all at 1 p.m. For fees and details, call 312-4316.
* KAPAHULU FUNK OnStage Drinks and Grinds presents the seven-piece soul, funk and afrobeat band, Good Foot, at 8:30 p.m. Nov. 30, featuring the soul duo of Beauty and the Beard, at 802 Kapahulu Ave.; no cover charge. Call 738-0004.
* MENEHUNE WALK Menehune Marchers Volks-sport Club does a 5K or 10K walk Nov. 30, starting between 8 and 10 a.m. at Koko Head Neighborhood Park. To join the group, call 626-3575.
* SUMMITS State Rep. Gene Ward’s chief of staff Paige Altonn hosts a “coffee summit” from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Dec. 3 at Zippy’s and a “beer summit” from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Dec. 5 at Kona Brewing Co. Pub, both in Koko Marina Center. Call 586-6420.
* UNCLE WAYNE Uncle Wayne Watkins and the Howling Dog Band present a sing-along concert for keiki at 10:30 a.m. Dec. 14 at Hawaii Kai Library. Call 397-5833.
* BOOK SALE The Friends of Hawaii Kai Library book store is open from 12:30 to 4:30 p.m. Monday, and 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Tuesday-Thursday, and 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday in the library basement. During November, all cookbooks are half price. Call 397-5833.
* WEIGHT LOSS Kaiser Permanente hosts ongoing Weight Watchers meetings at 6 p.m. Thursdays (except Nov. 28) at its clinic in Hawaii Kai Executive Plaza. Call 1-800-651-6000.