East Oahu Highlights
Send East Oahu items by fax to 585-6324 or email email@example.com. The next edition is April 3, and deadline is March 27.
* WARD TALKS State Rep. Gene Ward hosts a “coffee summit” from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. March 5 at the Zippy’s and a “beer summit” from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. March 7 at the Kona Brewing Co. Pub, both at Koko Marina Center. Call 586-6420.
* LINE DANCING Beginner line dance classes with Salome Sato meet at 10 a.m. and 11 a.m. (first-timers) March 8 and each Friday at Palolo Hongwanji Temple, 1640 Palolo Ave. Students can pay $5 per class, or $16 for eight weeks, plus a $5 registration fee. Call 737-4596.
* RETIREES Hawaii Kai Retirement Community hosts three free events for area seniors – at 2 p.m. March 8 (fraud prevention), 2 p.m. March 9 (bingo) and 11 a.m. March 10 (an Irish feast). To RSVP, call 395-9599. The facility is located at 428 Kawaihae St.
* CONSERVATIONVolunteers are welcome to help with conservation work from 8:30 a.m. to noon March 9 at Keawawa Wetlands and Hawea Heiau Complex, and every second Saturday of the month, sponsored by Livable Hawaii Kai Hui. Call 864-8081.
* JUNIOR GOLF Hawaii Kai Golf Course marks Junior Golf Day with a free and fun “introductory golf experience” for keiki of all ages from 9 to 11 a.m. March 9. Registration is at 8:30 a.m. Sign up online at hsjga.org.
* WAIALAE FAIR Waialae Public Charter Elementary School’s Fun Fair Roundup from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. March 9 has a Western theme to its games, food and activities, plus crafts, music, a country store, bouncy houses and silent auction. Call 733-4880.
* ST. LOUIS MEETS The St. Louis Heights Community Association meets at 7 p.m. March 11 at Hokulani Elementary School. Call 737-5654.
* YOGA East Honolulu Yoga Center offers workshops with Kofi Busia March 13-17 on Asana, Yoga Sutas, Pranayama and chanting. Fees vary by topic. Call 396-2208.
* THIRD FRIDAY Third Friday Kaimuki runs from 6 to 9 p.m. (or later) March 15, featuring dozens of restaurants, shops and bars on Waialae between Koko Head and 8th avenues celebrating the new year. Visit kaimukihawaii.com.
* STARGAZING The Hawaiian Astronomical Society hosts a free “star party” from 6:40 to 10 p.m. March 16 at Kahala Community Park, with telescopes, at 4495 Pahoa Ave.. Call 683-0118.
* CYCLING TIPS Hawaii Bicycling League instructors run a two-hour Commuter Cycling 101 class at 1 p.m. March 16 and also April 20 and May 25 at KCC, Iliahi 104. Space is limited. Call 735-5756 or visit hbl.org.
* KAHALA ST. PAT’S The Kahala Resort marks St. Patrick’s Day with Irish food, music and cocktails from 7 to 10 p.m. March 17 at the Veranda, featuring the Erin Go Bragh band from 7:30. Call 739-8760.
* BASEBALL GOLF The Kahala Warriors Baseball Club has a benefit golf tourney March 19 at Ewa Beach Golf Club. For times and fees, call Curt Kalama at 782-8432.
* ORCHESTRA The Oahu Civic Orchestra performs in concert at 7 p.m. April 1 at Waialae Baptist Church. Call 261-6127.