East Oahu Highlights
Send East Oahu event items by email to email@example.com or by fax to 585-6324. The next edition is Jan. 9, and deadline is Jan. 2.
* ORCHESTRA Oahu Civic Orchestra presents a free Christmas concert at 7 p.m. Dec. 17 at Eiben Hall at Chaminade University, featuring traditional music. Call 342-0610.
* MAUNALUA SHOW ‘Olelo channel 55 airs the show Maunalua: East Oahu Community Groups Working Together at noon Dec. 19 and 26, featuring the East Honolulu Outdoor Circle.
* LIBRARY FUN Aina Haina Library has a free storytime and craft activity at 10:30 a.m. Dec. 20 for preschoolers. Call 377-2456.
* KEIKI MUSIC Ohana Music Together offers free sample classes for keiki up to age 5 on Dec. 20 and 21 at its Wilhelmina Rise location. Call 732-7464.
* THIRD FRIDAY Third Friday Kaimuki runs from 6 to 9 p.m. (or later) Dec. 21, featuring dozens of restaurants, shops and bars on Waialae between Koko Head and 8th avenues. Merchants offer entertainment, demonstrations and free product samples, including glass blowing, health foods and live performances at the old Queen Theater. Visit kaimukihawaii.com.
* NUTCRACKER Hawaii State Ballet presents its 26th annual production of The Nutcracker at Mamiya Theatre. Remaining shows are at 7 p.m. Dec. 21, 3:30 and 7 p.m. Dec. 22, and 1 and 4:30 p.m. Dec. 23, directed by John Landovsky. Call 550-8457 for tickets.
* PUB MUSIC Kona Brewing Co. has a lineup of live music Thursdays through Saturdays at its pub in Koko Marina, including Boogie from 7 to 9 p.m. Dec. 22 and 29, and Ledward Kaapana from 6 to 8:30 p.m. Dec. 23 and 30. Call 396-5662.
* BLOOD DRIVES Hawaii Blood Bank has donor drives from 7 a.m. to 1:45 p.m. Dec. 23 at Wilson Elementary School, from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. Dec. 24 at Hawaii Kai Library, from 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Dec. 27 at Foodland headquarters on Harding Avenue by the municipal parking lot, and from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. Dec. 31 at Kahala Mall near Macy’s men’s store. Call 848-4770.
* MOON PADDLE Hawaiian Surf Adventures sponsors a Full Moon Paddle from 7 to 10 p.m. Dec. 28 in Koko Marina. For rates and details, call 396-2324.
* ANNIE The musical Annie concludes its month-long run Dec. 30 at Diamond Head Theatre. Call 733-0274 for tickets.
* CRATER HIKE The Hawaiian Trail & Mountain Club leads a 3-mile intermediate hike to Koko Crater at 8 a.m. Jan. 1. Go to htmclub.org.
* NURSE’S AIDE The American Red Cross offers three different courses in nurse’s aide training in January at its Diamond Head Road headquarters. For details, call 739-8122.
* TAX PREP CLASS Hawaii Tax Help offers volunteer tax preparer training from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Jan. 5, 12, 19 and 26 at Chaminade’s Kieffer Hall Room 9. Learn it yourself, then help someone else. To sign up, call 381-0881.
* INTELLECTUAL Kapiolani Community College offers a class from 6 to 8 p.m. Thursdays in Intellectual Property Management in Manono 104, designed for companies and entrepreneurs. Fee is $35. Call 734-9211.
* VERANDA MUSIC Piano jazzman David Swanson entertains from 7:30 to 11 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday in the Veranda lounge at the Kahala Hotel. Call 739-8760.
* HEALING Naturopathic physician Diana Joy Ostroff conducts a free information session at 6 p.m. each Wednesday at the Center for Natural Healing, 5283 Kimokeo St. in Aina Haina, answering questions about naturopathic medicine, homeopathy, oriental medicine and acupuncture. Call 373-9966.