Central Oahu Highlights
Email Central Oahu event items to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax them to 585-6324. The next edition is July 31, and deadline is July 24.
* NEIGHBORS Wahiawa-Whitmore Village Neighborhood Board meets at 7 p.m. July 15 at Wahiawa District Park, Mililani Mauka-Launani Valley meets at 7 p.m. July 16 at Mililani Mauka Elementary, North Shore at 7 p.m. July 23 at Haleiwa Elementary cafeteria, and Mililani-Waipio-Melemanu at 7:30 p.m. July 24 at Mililani Rec Center III. Call 768-3710.
* KEIKI FILM HUI Consolidated Theatres at Mililani Town Center screens $1 movies for keiki at 10 a.m. July 16 and 17 (Star Wars: the Clone Wars), July 23 and 24 (Disney’s Oceans) and July 30 and 31 (How to Train your Dragon). Call 625-0108.
* OSHIRO FORUM State Rep. Marcus Oshiro hosts his post-legislative forum from 6 to 8:30 p.m. July 17 at Wahiawa District Park’s Hale Koa Room, including a free chili and rice dinner. Call 586-6700.
* SUMMER FUN Free Summer Fun finales are set for 6 p.m. July 17 at Sunset Beach Community Park (638-7051), 6 p.m. July 18 at Waialua District Park (637-9721), and 9:30 a.m. July 19 at Mililani District Park (623-5258).
* WAHIAWA BON Wahiawa Ryusenji Soto Mission has its bon dances at 7:30 p.m. July 19 and 20 at 164 California Ave. Call 622-1429.
* MUSIC, ART LIVE Haleiwa Joe’s hosts a Third Friday party from 6 p.m. to closing July 19 at the Haleiwa restaurant, featuring art on the lawn, paint-your-own with Erin Browne Delventhal, free photo booth, music by Make Shifts and Etivise, and happy hour (10 p.m. to midnight). Call 637-8005.
* BOOK SALE Friends of Waialua Library have a book sale from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. July 20. Call 637-8286.
* FISHPOND HELP Loko Ea Fishpond in Haleiwa (near Haleiwa Beach Park Mauka) welcomes a volunteer cleanup crew from 8:30 a.m. to 1:15 p.m. July 20 and Aug. 17, with tools and free lunch provided. Call 637-3232.
* SWIM SERIES The North Shore Swim Series’ JACO race is set for July 20, starting at Chun’s Reef and ending at Waimea Bay. The final race is the Jamba Juice North Shore Challenge Aug. 3 from Ehukai Beach Park to Waimea Bay. Call 551-3298 or email email@example.com.
* ART FESTIVAL The 16th annual Haleiwa Arts Festival runs from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. July 20 and 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. July 21 at Haleiwa Beach Park. Call 637-2277.
* SCHOOL SUPPLIES Wahiawa Lions Club conducts a school supplies drive from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. July 20 and 27 at Tamura’s Market and Wahiawa Shopping Center near Longs to help needy area schoolchildren. Call 522-5149.
* EHUKAI HIKE Hawaiian Trail & Mountain Club leads a 6-mile intermediate hike from Pupukea ridge to Ehukai Beach Park at 8:30 a.m. July 21. Go to htmclub.org.
* KANIKAPILA Waimea Valley presents its monthly Kanikapila from 1 to 4 p.m. July 21 and Aug. 18 featuring the Obrigo Ohana in the pavilion. All musicians are welcome. Call 638-7766.
* MOON WALK Waimea Valley presents its monthly Moon Walk at 7:30 p.m. July 22 and Aug. 20, from the ticket booth to the waterfall and back. Fee is $10 per person. Call 638-7766.
* PLANT DOCTOR Erin Purple is The Plant Doctor at Wahiawa Botanical Garden from 9 to 10 a.m. July 26. Bring your ailing plants or tree-leaf samples for a free diagnosis. Call 522-7066.
* HALEIWA BON Haleiwa Jodo Mission has its bon dances at 8 p.m. July 26 and 27 at 66-279-A Haleiwa Road, as well as a floating lantern service at 9 p.m. July 27. Call 637-4382.
* ART WALK The monthly Haleiwa Art Walk runs from 5 to 9 p.m. July 27 in Haleiwa town, featuring sales, activities and events hosted by dozens of merchants. Call 637-4558.
* BEACH CLEANUP Adopt A Beach Hawaii and Save the Sea Turtles International lead a North Shore beach debris cleanup at 10 a.m. July 27, meeting at Chun’s Reef. Trash bags, water, safety vests and gloves are provided. Call 637-2211 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* STAR PARTY Hawaiian Astronomical Society brings its telescopes and know-how to Dillingham Airfield from 7 p.m. to midnight July 27 for a monthly star-gazing party. The public is welcome but there are restrictions. Visit hawastsoc.org or email email@example.com.
* MEETING DOGS Hawaii Dog Foundation hosts a “meet and greet” session with its adoptable dogs from noon to 2 p.m. July 27 at Mililani Mauka Dog Park, 95-1069 Ukuwai St. Call 782-8387.
* CONCERTS Waimea Valley presents its Generations Summer Concert Series from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. July 27 with Brother Noland, Hookena, John Cruz and Olomana (The Innovators); and the same time Aug. 31 with Kaiholu, Abrigo ‘Ohana, Waipuna and Maunalua (The Future). Tickets are $20 and $10 at the gate. For advance prices, call 638-7766.
* DRUM RECITAL Chuck James Music Studio presents a free recital of piano, drums, singing and dancing at 6 p.m. July 28 at Mililani Town Center. Call 625-0108. * FARM FILMSWaimea Valley and Kokua Hawaii Foundation present the final show in their Taste of Summer Film Series, Truck Farm, at 7:30 p.m. Aug. 1, following the Haleiwa Farmers Market. Call 638-7766.
* CHURCH LUAU Liliuokalani Protestant Church has its 37th annual benefit luau with live entertainment Aug. 3 at 66-090 Kamehameha Hwy. Tickets cost $20 (sit-in, 1-4 p.m.) and $17.50 (takeout, 11 a.m.-2 p.m.). Call 637-9364.
* WAIALUA BON Waialua Hongwanji Mission has its bon dance at 7 p.m. Aug. 3 at 67-313 Kealohanui St. Call 637-4395.
* BANDSTAND Waialua Bandstand hosts entertainment by the Royal Hawaiian Band at 4 p.m. Aug. 4, sponsored by Malama Market. Call 637-9721.
* POLO Hawaii Polo Club is on break now and matches will resume Sept. 1. Admission is $25, $10 or $8, with children 12 and under admitted free. Gates open at 11 a.m. each Sunday and matches begin at 2. Call 226-0061 or 220-5153.
* PINEAPPLE FEST New time for the Wahiawa Pineapple Festival is 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Aug. 17 at Wahiawa District Park. Food vendors call 621-6758, product vendors call 637-5337, organizations call 694-0103. The parade starts at 9 a.m. at Kaala Elementary and moves up California Avenue to the park.
* SOCCER The Mililani-based Fusion Soccer Club is practicing now for the competitive HYSA season starting Sept. 1. The club seeks interested boys born between Aug. 1, 2004 and July 31, 2005 (927-4351) and girls born between Aug. 1, 2000 and July 31, 2001 (864-9965).
* PUPUKEA SENIORS Pohai Na Makua o Pupukea seniors club meets at 9:30 a.m. Tuesdays at Sunset Beach Recreation Center. Call 638-7213. * WAHIAWA SENIORS The city sponsors weekly programs and activities for the Wahiawa Rainbows at 8:30 a.m. Mondays at Wahiawa District Park. Call 621-5663.
* WHITMORE SENIORS The city sponsors weekly programs and activities for Whitmore Seniors Club at 9 a.m. Fridays at Whitmore Community Park. Call 622-2420.
* WAIMEA HOURS Waimea Valley’s summer hours are 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. (one hour later) now through Aug. 31. Call 638-7766.
* LAUGHS Augie & Lanai’s Comedy Shack is in the house from 6:30 to 9 p.m. on the first Thursday of each month at Dot’s in Wahiawa. Showtime is 8 p.m., and admission is $12. Call 479-0576.