Central Oahu Highlights
Below are highlights of Central Oahu events. Fax items by Nov. 14 to 585-6324 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. The next edition is Nov. 21.
* TENNIS DEADLINE Signups are due Nov. 9 to enter the Lana Hudson Fund doubles tennis tournament, set for 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Nov. 24 at Central Oahu Regional Park. The late Lana Anela Soares Hudson was an avid tennis player and supporter of autism awareness on behalf of her granddaughter. Fee is $35. Call 358-7061.
* WAIALUA WRITERS The Waialua Library writers group meets at 11 a.m. Nov. 10 at the library. Call 637-8286.
* GENEALOGY Deadline is Nov. 10 to sign up for a Genealogy Help conference, set for 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Nov. 17 at BYU-Hawaii, Laie Stake Center. Classes cover how to trace family genealogy for Hawaii, Japan, Portugal, Puerto Rico, the Philippines and via computer programs. The $20 fee includes lunch; pre-paid registrants only. Call 293-5929.
* MEETING DOGS Hawaii Dog Foundation hosts a “meet and greet” session with its adoptable dogs from noon to 2 p.m. Nov. 10 and 24 at Mililani Mauka Dog Park, 95-1069 Ukuwai St. Call 782-8387.
* VETERANS MASS St. John Apostle and Evangelist Church celebrates a Veterans Day Mass at 6 p.m. Nov. 11, including a “Blessing of the Veterans” and exhibits by veteran service groups. The church is at 95-370 Kuahelani Ave. Call 623-3332.
* BOOK SIGNING Jerilyn Ito signed her latest books, Finding Our Ohana and Double Rainbow Island, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Nov. 11 at the Wahiawa Walgreen’s, accompanied by free cotton candy, popcorn, shave ice, drinks, face painting, balloon tying, a keiki jumper, prizes and entertainment. Call 778-4682.
* VETERANS DAY All public schools and libraries are closed Nov. 12 in observance of Veterans Day.
* BLOOD DRIVES
Hawaii Blood Bank has donor drives from 7 a.m. to 1:15 p.m. Nov. 12 at Mililani Town Center, 8:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m. Nov. 13 at Tony Group Autoplex in Waipio, and 7 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Nov. 17 at Mililani Town Center. Call 848-4770.
* GRIEFSHARE Wahiawa United Methodist Church hosts a GriefShare meeting at 9 a.m. Nov. 13 to get grieving people help to survive the upcoming holiday cheer. Call 232-3992.
* DOG TRAINING Ted Ketcham of Leeward Training Club of Hawaii discusses “how to teach a dog to be good” at 6 p.m. Nov. 14 at Mililani Library. Call 627-7470.
* BOOK SALE Friends of Mililani Library have a book sale from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Nov. 17. New members also are welcome. To help on the sale, call 626-7292.
* BOOK SALE The Friends of Waialua Library have a book sale from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Nov. 17. Call 637-4876.
* BOOSTER CRAFTS Mililani High’s Athletic Booster Club craft fair runs from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Nov. 17 in the gym and courtyard with 110 vendors. Email email@example.com.
* KANIKAPILA Waimea Valley hosts a Kanikapila Sunday from 1 to 4 p.m. Nov. 18 in the pavilion area, free to the public. Call 638-7766.
* DOG CARE Veterinarian Jamie Wicklund Furutani discusses “Health and Care for Your Pet Dog” at 6:30 p.m. Nov. 19 at Mililani Library. The free program includes a live demonstration and question-and-answer time. Call 627-7470.
* NEIGHBORS Wahiawa-Whitmore Village Neighborhood Board meets at 7 p.m. Nov. 19 at Wahiawa District Park; Mililani Mauka-Launani Valley meets at 7 p.m. Nov. 20 at Mililani Mauka Elementary. Call 768-3710.
* OSHIRO FORUM State Rep. Marcus Oshiro has a pre-session forum from 6 to 8:30 p.m. Nov. 20 at Wahiawa District Park, with speakers Keith Kamita (on synthetic drugs) and Colin Kippen (on homeless issues). Call 586-6200.