What’s Up in Central Oahu
Below are highlights of what’s happening in Central Oahu. Fax items by Feb. 15 to 585-6324 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. The next edition is Feb. 22.
* BLOOD DRIVES Hawaii Blood Bank has donor drives 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Feb. 9 at Mililani High School, and 7 to 11:30 a.m. Feb. 9 at Waialua Intermediate and High School gym and 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. Feb. 11 at Mililani Town Center. Call 8459966.
* SPELLING BEE The Central Oahu District Spelling Bee is set for 6 p.m. Feb. 9 at Mililani Middle School, featuring the top spellers from area schools vying for two spots in the state bee March 24. The public is welcome. Call Laurie Pe’a at 6226393, ext. 273.
* PHONE BOOKS The Berry Co. accepts all brands of used phone books for recycling from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Feb. 10-12 and 1719 at its bin at Mililani Town Center (next to the Tesoro station).
* LAND TALK The Office of Hawaiian Affairs sponsors a community meeting at 6 p.m. Feb. 11 at Waimea Valley Park Pavilion to discuss the latest Kakaako land settlement proposal. Go to oha.org/kakaako.
* CHARACTER The Mililani Complex presents its annual “Character Counts” fair from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Feb. 11 at Mililani Town Center with performances and exhibits illustrating trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring and citizenship.
* KOKUA ART Deadline is Feb. 11 for entries in the 2012-2013 Kokua Calendar Art Contest for grades K12. Winners will be included in the Kokua Hawaii Foundation calendar. For details, log onto kokuahawaiifoundation.org.
* MEETING DOGS Hawaii Dog Foundation hosts a “meet and greet” session with its adoptable dogs from noon to 2 p.m. Feb. 11 and 25 at Mililani Mauka Dog Park, 95-1069 Ukuwai St. Call 782-8387.
* CENTRAL HIKES The Hawaiian Trail & Mountain Club leads a 5mile intermediate hike to Kawaiiki at 9 a.m. Feb. 12, meeting at the Waimea end of Haleiwa Beach Park; and a 7-mile advance hike at Three Corners in Mokuleia at 7:30 a.m. Feb. 19. Go to htmclub.org.
* FILM SCREENING Turtle Bay Resort’s Surfer, the Bar screens the film Mana i Ka Leo: Power of the Voice at 7 p.m. Feb. 12 with Ruben Carillo and Dawn Kaniaupio. Admission is $10, $8 and $5. Upcoming films and talks include Puamana Feb. 19 with Meleanna Meyer, Get a Job Feb. 26 with Brian Kohne and Heart of a Soul Surfer March 4 with Bethany, Noah and director Becky Hamilton. Call 4364326.
* SHARING GRIEF A new session of GriefShare, for those who have lost a loved one, begins at 9 a.m. Feb. 14 at Wahiawa United Methodist Church, 1445 California Ave. and will meet each Tuesday for 13 weeks. Call Jim at 2323992 or Pastor Fran at 6215236.
* SCHOLARSHIPS Deadline to apply for 2012 First Wind scholarships is Feb. 15. Students attending high school in the Laie to North Shore and Wahiawa areas are eligible. Visit firstwind.com/scholars.
* IRRIGATION Erin Purple explains Irrigation Basics and PVC pipe sprinkler systems in a free workshop at 9 a.m. Feb. 17 at Wahiawa Botanical Garden. Call 522-7064.
* NEIGHBORS Wahiawa Neighborhood Board meets at 7 p.m. Feb. 20 at Wahiawa District Park, Mililani Mauka-Launani Valley at 7 p.m. Feb. 21 at Mililani Mauka Elementary, Mililani-Waipio-Melemanu at 7 p.m. Feb. 22 at Mililani Rec Center III, and North Shore at 7 p.m. Feb. 28 at Haleiwa Elementary. For updates, call 768-3710.
* KEIKI STORIES Mililani Library has weekly preschool stories at 10:30 a.m. Tuesdays through Feb. 21. Call 627-7470.
* CAR SEATS Kaiser Permanente’s Waipio Clinic conducts free child car and booster seat inspections from 3:30 to 6:30 p.m. Feb. 24 at 94-1480 Moaniani St. Call 432-2260.
* ART WALK The Haleiwa Art Walk is open from 5 to 9 p.m. Feb. 25 in Haleiwa, with sales and activities by dozens of merchants. Call 637-4558.
* FLAG FOOTBALL The 808 Ohana Flag Football league is registering players age 4 to 17 for the upcoming season in Mililani; coaches and teams for Wahiawa, Haleiwa and Waialua also needed. Call Travis at 864-1903.
* NORTH MARKET The North Shore Country Market runs from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturdays at Sunset Beach Elementary School, selling Hawaii-made items exclusively. Vendors are welcome. Call 673-3296.
* WAIALUA CO-OP The Waialua Farmers Coop Market sells local produce, plants and more from 4:30 to 7 p.m. Wednesdays and 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturdays at Waialua Sugar Mill. Call 637-4439.
* WAHIAWA MART A farmers market is open from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. each Thursday in the Wahiawa Hongwanji Mission parking lot at 1067 California Ave. Visit wahiawacdbo.org.