West Oahu Highlights
Send West Oahu items to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax them to 585-6324 by Nov. 27 to be considered for the Dec. 4 edition.
* HANDS-ON TECH Kapolei Library offers a free e-learning class at 6 p.m. Nov. 26, covering online databases, journals, magazines, etc. Call 693-7050.
* SEEDS FILM UH West Oahu’s Sustainability Speaker Series offers a screening of the local film Na Kupu Mana’olana – Seeds of Hope at noon Nov. 27 at the campus center room C-208, presented by Hawaii Rural Development Council and award-winning film director Danny Miller. Call 689-2800.
* BLOOD DRIVES Hawaii Blood Bank has donor drives from 7 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Nov. 29 at Ewa Beach Elementary, 7 a.m.-1 p.m. Dec. 1 at Inspire Church at Hope Chapel West Oahu, and 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Dec. 4 at Island Pacific Academy in Kapolei. Call 848-4770.
* LCC MUSIC Leeward Community College’s Holiday Choral Concert starts at 7 p.m. Nov. 30 in LCC Theatre. Tickets cost $5 at the door. Call 455-0380.
* AIEA HIKE Hawaiian Trail & Mountain Club plans a 5-mile intermediate hike to Kalauao Valley in Aiea at 8 a.m. Nov. 30. Visit htmclub.org.
* OKINAWA FAIR Hawaii United Okinawa Association has its annual Winter Craft Fair from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Nov. 30 and 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Dec. 1 at Hawaii Okinawa Center in Waipio. Call 676-5400.
* WREATHS Halawa Xeriscape Garden sponsors holiday wreath-making workshops from 10 a.m. to noon Nov. 30 and Dec. 7 at 99-1268 Iwaena St. Fee is $5 for nonmembers, who should bring a list of supplies. For details and to register (Nov. 12 until full), call Diane Moses at 748-5363.
* PC PARADE Pearl City Shopping Center’s Christmas parade starts at 4 p.m. Dec. 1, moving from Momilani Elementary to the shopping center with 2,000 marchers, 30 vehicles and 10 floats, and followed by an after-party, prizes and Cruz Night from 5 to 8 p.m. Call 554-8190.
* SCAVENGER HUNT Aiea Library sponsors a “Twelve Days of Christmas” scavenger hunt starting Dec. 2, with one clue released each day – for infants through grade 6. The hunt culminates in holiday crafts, storytime and a prize drawing at 10 a.m. Dec. 21. Call 483-7333.
* UKULELE DESIGN Luthier Bob Gleason shares how to create your own ukulele at 5 p.m. Dec. 4 at Waipahu Library – for ages 8 and older. Call 675-0358.
* SOCIAL SECURITY Financial consultant Nelson Secretario explains strategies for optimizing your Social Security benefits at 1 p.m. Dec. 7 at Aiea Library. Call 483-7333.
* RECYCLING Going Green Day comes to Kapolei High School from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Dec. 7, when all kinds of recyclables are welcome – from metal to batteries and computers, as well as food bank items. Also planned are Breakfast with Santa, tree sale, crafts, train ride, pony rides, petting zoo, bouncer, carousel and more keiki activities. Call 692-8200, ext. 2246.
* GABBARD HOUR State Sen. Mike Gabbard hosts a “Listen Story” at 9 a.m. Dec. 7 at Pray Eat Love Cafe on Manawai Street across from Kapolei High. Call 586-6830.
* BOOK TALK Author Rob Simbeck discusses Daughter of the Air: the brief soaring life of Cornelia Fort at 2 p.m. Dec. 7 at Kapolei Library. Fort was a debutante-turned-flight instructor just before the Pearl Harbor attack, becoming one of very few women pilots in WWII. Call 693-7058.
* NATURE DECOR Malama Learning Center has a workshop on Natural Holiday Decorations from 9 a.m. to noon Dec. 7 at ‘Ilima at Leihano, 891 Kama’aha Ave. in Kapolei. Call 220-4166.
* AIEA HIKE The Sierra Club leads a beginners hike on Aiea Loop Trail at 9 a.m. Dec. 8. Call Randy at 942-0145.
* NATIVE SCHOLARS UH West Oahu has a Native Hawaiian Scholarship Aha at 6 p.m. Dec. 10 in the student center to brief students, parents and educators on financial aid opportunities. Call OHA at 594-1888.
* HABITAT HELP Habitat for Humanity Leeward Oahu seeks volunteers for its mission of self-built housing for low-income families in Kapolei, Ewa Beach and Waianae. Call Toni at 696-7882.
* SPRING FOOTBALL Hawaii Islanders seeks boys age 8 to 14 for 2014 spring tackle football, plus coaches and team moms, for Pearl City, Aiea and Moanalua. Call or text 352-5294.
* YOUTH RUGBY USO Athletics seeks players and coaches for the January youth rugby season (U19 to U10) games beginning in West Oahu. Call Ray at 275-6134.
* WELLNESS Hideo Kimura has Ki Wellness classes at 6 p.m. Mondays and Fridays, and Aikido for Seniors at 7:30 p.m. Mondays and Fridays at Aiea Soto Mission, with free trials offered, at 99-045 Kauhale St. Call 671-1422.
* FITNESS Shake that Fitness 808 has dance fitness classes at 6:15 p.m. Tuesday, Thursday and Friday at United Visayan Hall, 94-833 Awanei St. in Waipahu. Call 671-3943.
* SOCCER SIGNUPS Leeward Region 269 AYSO is registering boys and girls age 4 to 18 (from Makakilo to Makaha) for spring soccer. Season starts in January. Fee is $70. Visit leewardayso269.com.
* YOGA Free classes in Holistic Energy Yoga meet at 10:30 a.m. Wednesdays at Waiau District Park. Call 381-4376.
* VEGGIE COOKS Down to Earth has free vegetarian cooking classes at 4 and 5:30 p.m. Wednesdays at its Kapolei store, and 5:30 p.m. on the first and third Monday at Pearlridge. Call 947-3249.
* KEIKI COUNCIL Central District South Community Children’s Council meets at 6 p.m. on the fourth Tuesday in Moanalua High #G104; the Leeward council meets at 6:30 p.m. on the first Wednesday at the state building, 601 Kamokila Blvd. in Kapolei. All parents of children with special needs are welcome. Call 586-5363.