West Oahu Highlights
Send West Oahu items to email@example.com or fax them to 585-6324 by Nov. 20 to be considered for the Nov. 27 edition.
* NEIGHBORS Pearl City Neighborhood Board meets at 7 p.m. Nov. 19 at Waiau District Park. Call 768-3710.
* SAFE DRIVER Kaiser’s Waipio Clinic hosts an AARP Driver Safety class from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Nov. 19 at 94-1480 Moaniani St. Fee is $14 per class for non-members. Call 545-6024.
* MEMORY TESTS The Caregiver Foundation offers free, confidential memory screenings from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Nov. 19 at 891 Kama’aha Ave. in Kapolei, an annual initiative of the Alzheimer’s Foundation of America. Call 625-3782.
* HANDS-ON TECH Kapolei Library presents free e-learning classes at 6 p.m. Nov. 19 and 26, covering IT Academy, Learn4Life, Powerspeak, online databases, journals, magazines and more. Call 693-7050.
* BLOOD DRIVES Hawaii Blood Bank has donor drives from 7 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Nov. 19 at Ewa Beach Elementary cafeteria, 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. Dec. 1 at Hope Chapel West Oahu, and 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Dec. 4 at Island Pacific Academy in Kapolei. Call 848-4770.
* CAREER NIGHT Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties’ hosts a free career night at 6:30 p.m. Nov 20 at its new agent training office in Kapolei Commons. RSVP to 748-3410.
* SOLAR RULES RevoluSun has a free neighborhood “Q&A” at 6 p.m. Nov. 20 at Waipahu Civic Center on HECO’s new rules and approval guidelines for solar systems. RSVP to 748-8888.
* HEALTH LAW Robert Hamamoto, a volunteer with AARP, shares the latest on the Affordable Care Act at 11 a.m. Nov. 21 at Pearl City Library. Call 453-6566.
* CAR SEATS Kaiser’s Waipio Clinic conducts free safety inspections of keiki car seats from 3:30 to 6 p.m. Nov. 22 at 94-1480 Moaniani St. Call 432-2260.
* ST. JUDE WALK Blaisdell Park in Pearl City hosts Hawaii’s St. Jude Walk at 8 a.m. Nov. 23, as part of the national “give thanks” to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
* MARSH HELP Hawaii Nature Center volunteers meet to help restore Pouhala Marsh wetland from 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. Nov. 23, across from the transfer station on Waipahu Depot Road. Call Pauline at 944-0100, ext. 118.
* JAPAN THEATER The troupe Bento Rakugo presents a dynamic storytelling session at 2 p.m. Nov. 24 at Pearl City Library in the 300-year-old tradition of Japanese theater, with a comedic twist. Call 453-6566.
* SEEDS FILM UH West Oahu’s Sustainability Speaker Series presents a screening of the local film Na Kupu Mana’olana -Seeds of Hope at noon Nov. 27 at the campus center room C-208, presented by Hawaii Rural Development Council and award-winning film director Danny Miller. Call 689-2800.
* LCC MUSIC Leeward Community College’s fall guitar concert is set for 4 p.m. Nov. 24, and its Holiday Choral Concert starts at 7 p.m. Nov. 30, both in LCC Theatre. Tickets cost $5 at the door for either show. Call 455-0380.
* AIEA HIKE The Hawaiian Trail & Mountain Club plans a 5-mile intermediate hike to Kalauao valley in Aiea at 8 a.m. Nov. 30. Visit htmclub.org.
* OKINAWA FAIR Hawaii United Okinawa Association has its annual Winter Craft Fair from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Nov. 30 and 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Dec. 1 at Hawaii Okinawa Center in Waipio. Call 676-5400.
* WREATHS Halawa Xeriscape Garden sponsors holiday wreath-making workshops from 10 a.m. to noon Nov. 30 and Dec. 7 at 99-1268 Iwaena St. Fee is $5 for nonmembers, who should bring a list of supplies. For details and to register (Nov. 12 until full), call Diane Moses at 748-5363.
* HABITAT HELP Habitat for Humanity Leeward Oahu seeks volunteers to help with its mission of self-built housing for low-income families in Kapolei, Ewa Beach and Waianae. Call Toni Anduha at 696-7882.
* SPRING FOOTBALL Hawaii Islanders seeks players 8 to 14 years old for 2014 Spring Tackle Football for boys, as well as coaches and team moms, for the Pearl City, Aiea and Moanalua areas. Call or text 352-5294.
* RUGBY SIGNUPS USO Athletics seeks players and coaches for the upcoming youth rugby season (U19 to U10), with practice and games beginning in January in West Oahu. Call Ray at 275-6134.
* LIBRARY HOURS Waipahu Library is now open from Tuesday through Saturday, instead of Monday through Friday – in response to community requests. For details, call 675-0358.
* WELLNESS Shizendo ki method founder Hideo Kimura conducts Ki Wellness classes at 6 p.m. Mondays and Fridays, and Aikido for Seniors at 7:30 p.m. Mondays and Fridays at Aiea Soto Mission. Free trials are allowed. The mission is located at 99-045 Kauhale St. Call 671-1422.
* FITNESS Shake that Fitness 808 offers dance fitness classes at 6:15 p.m. each Tuesday, Thursday and Friday at United Visayan Hall, 94-833 Awanei St. in Waipahu. Call Susan at 671-3943.
* SOCCER SIGNUPS Leeward Region 269 AYSO is registering boys and girls age 4 to 18 (from Makakilo to Makaha) for spring soccer, with the season starting in January. Fee is $70. Visit leewardayso269.com.
* FITNESS Fit Wiz Hawaii offers classes in Pilates, yoga, Tabata and TRX Beach Boot Camps (suspension training) in Kapolei and Ewa Beach for ages 12 and older, with the first class free. Visit fitwizhawaii.com.
* CHORUS CLASSES Fall classes for Hawaii Youth Chorus (ages 5-12) and HYC Teen Glee (ages 12-17) meet Saturday mornings, now through Dec. 14, at Waipahu United Church of Christ, 94-330 Mokuola St. – the younger group at 9:30 a.m., the older group at 10:30 a.m. Fee is $45 per month. Call Desi at 623-2411.
* HULA AIEA Halau Hula O Kana Kapeka is accepting new students for hula and Tahitian dance classes that start in September at St. Elizabeth Church Hall in Aiea. Call 255-4001.
* YOGA Free classes in Holistic Energy Yoga meet at 10:30 a.m. Wednesdays at Waiau District Park. Call 381-4376.
* HIDEAWAY BAND 11th Hour performs original and cover rock music from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. every third Saturday at the Hideaway, 1 Coral Sea Road in Kalaeloa. Free admission for ages 21 and older with military ID. Call 347-1323.
* TACKLE BALL USO Athletic Club is signing up players in grades 5-8 for tackle football (no weight limit) and grades 1-4 for flag football (Jr. Prep league). Coaches also are needed. Call Leilani at 275-6134.
* VEGGIE COOKS Down to Earth offers free vegetarian cooking classes at 4 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. Wednesdays at its Kapolei store, and at 5:30 p.m. on the first and third Monday at its Pearlridge store. Call 947-3249.
* STRIDERS The Leeward Stroller Strides group meets at 8:45 a.m. Tuesdays and Thursday at Central Oahu Regional Park, offering a fitness walk for moms and tots in strollers. Fee is $60 a month. A Kapolei group meets at 8:45 a.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Call 398-6275.
* ROLLER DERBY The Aloha City Rollers are recruiting new players and referees for league play in the West Oahu area. All men and women ages18-50 are welcome to learn and compete in this fun team sport. Call 454-3847 or visit 808derby.com.
* MASTERS SWIM The Veterans Memorial Aquatic Center has launched a U.S. Masters swimming program, meeting at 7 p.m. each Monday and Wednesday at Central Oahu Regional Park. Call Ruthie Heuton at 677-8510.
* SLACK KEYYameen Fong conducts beginner slack-key guitar classes from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Thursdays at Ewa Beach Community Park on North Road. The course consists of four sessions, and students should bring a guitar. Call 685-6035 evenings or visit fongsmusic.homestead.com.
* EWA CERT The Ewa Beach Emergency Preparedness Committee working to organize Community Emergency Preparedness Teams (CERT) to train residents in disaster response. Call 682-0111.
* RUGBY Players and coaches are invited to join USO Athletics-Hawaii Youth Rugby in several age-group teams for boys, and under 16 for girls. Call Raymond Maae at 692-3589.