West Oahu Highlights
Send West Oahu items to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax them to 585-6324 by Nov. 13 to be considered for the Nov. 20 edition.
* GIFT WRAP Craft expert Evelyn Nakamura leads a class in “Furoshiki: Alternative Gift Wrapping” at 6:30 p.m. Nov. 13 at Waipahu Library. Register at 675-0358.
* ROYAL MUSIC The Royal Hawaiian Band performs at noon Nov. 13 in Tuthill courtyard at Leeward Community College for International Education Week. Call 922-5331.
* NEIGHBORS Aiea Neighborhood Board meets at 7 p.m. Nov. 13 at Aiea Library, Ewa meets at 7 p.m. Nov. 14 at Ewa Beach Library, and Pearl City at 7 p.m. Nov. 19 at Waiau District Park. Call 768-3710.
* SOLAR RULES RevoluSun has a free neighborhood “Q&A” at 6 p.m. Nov. 13 at the BIA office, 94-487 Akoki St. in Waipahu, and 6 p.m. Nov. 20 at Waipahu Civic Center on HECO’s new rules and approval guidelines for solar systems. Call 748-8888.
* FINNISH SCHOLAR UH-West Oahu sponsors a free lecture at 7 p.m. Nov. 14 in the campus center by Distinguished Visiting Scholar Pasi Sahlberg on Finland’s educational reform. Call 689-2800.
* IPA GOLF Island Pacific Academy has its annual golf tournament at noon Nov. 15 at Kapolei Golf Course. Fee is $180 and proceeds go to scholarships. Call Kerri at 674-3523, ext. 580.
* SKIN CARE Kaiser’s Waipio Clinic has a free Skin Care Fair from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Nov. 15 at 94-1480 Moaniani St., with product discounts, expert speakers, demonstrations and more for the public. Call 432-5670.
* CHOIR SHOW West side choir group Kapolei Chorale performs at 10 a.m. Nov. 16 at Hawaii State Library. Call 381-2063.
* SONG CONTEST Kunia Live! stages its grand finale from 3 to 5 p.m. Nov. 16 at Kunia Shopping Center with finalists from the previous rounds competing for the top prize. Visit shopkunia.com.
* WETLAND HIKE Hawaii Nature Center leads a Honouliuli Wetland Adventure at 9:30 a.m. Nov. 16 to explore the wildlife refuge. Fee is $10. Call 955-0100, ext. 118.
* WAIMALU PARTY Waimalu Shopping Center marks its 50th year from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Nov. 16, with prizes, balloons, tattoos, keiki ID, a lion dance and music by Roy Sakuma’s ukulele students. Call 487-9933.
* CIVIL RIGHTS Kapolei Library screens a final documentary in its “Created Equal: America’s Civil Rights Struggle” series at 1 p.m. Nov. 16, featuring Freedom Riders with discussion led by HPU historian Jon Davidann. Call 693-7050.
* PEARL CITY HIKE Hawaiian Trail & Mountain Club leads a 5.9-mile intermediate hike to Halapepe Nui ridge in Pearl City at 8 a.m. Nov. 16. Visit htmclub.org.
* SAFE DRIVER Kaiser’s Waipio Clinic has an AARP Driver Safety class at 8:30 a.m. Nov. 19 at 94-1480 Moaniani St. Fee is $14 per class for non-members. Call 545-6024.
* MEMORY TESTS Caregiver Foundation offers free, confidential memory screenings from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Nov. 19 at 891 Kama’aha Ave. in Kapolei, an annual initiative of the Alzheimer’s Foundation of America. Call 625-3782.
* CAR SEATS Kaiser’s Waipio Clinic conducts free safety inspections of keiki car seats from 3:30 to 6 p.m. Nov. 22 at 94-1480 Moaniani St. Call 432-2260.
* CENTERPIECES Halawa Xeriscape Garden offers a Thanksgiving Centerpiece workshop at 10:30 a.m. Nov. 23 at 99-1268 Iwaena St. Fee is $10, and registration deadline is 2 p.m. Nov. 15 to 748-5363.
* ST. JUDE WALK Blaisdell Park in Pearl City hosts a St. Jude Walk at 8 a.m. Nov. 23, as part of the national “give thanks” to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. Email email@example.com.
* MARSH HELP Hawaii Nature Center volunteers meet to help restore Pouhala Marsh wetland from 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. Nov. 23, across from the transfer station on Waipahu Depot Road. Call Pauline at 955-0100, ext. 118.
* JAPANESE THEATER The troupe Bento Rakugo stages dynamic storytelling at 2 p.m. Nov. 24 at Pearl City Library in the ancient tradition of Japanese theater, with a comedic twist. Call 453-6566.
* WREATHS Halawa Xeriscape Garden has holiday wreath-making workshops from 10 a.m. to noon Nov. 30 and Dec. 7 at 99-1268 Iwaena St. Fee is $5 for nonmembers, who should bring supplies. Call Diane Moses at 748-5363. Space is limited.
* RUGBY USO Athletics seeks players and coaches for youth rugby season (U19 to U10), with practice and games beginning in January in West Oahu. Call Ray at 275-6134.
* LIBRARY HOURS Waipahu Library is now open Tuesday-Saturday, instead of Monday-Friday in response to public requests. Call 675-0358.
* VEGGIE COOKS Down to Earth offers free vegetarian cooking classes at 4 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. Wednesdays at its Kapolei store, and at 5:30 p.m. on the first and third Monday at its Pearlridge store. Call 947-3249.
* MASTERS SWIM The Veterans Memorial Aquatic Center has launched a U.S. Masters swimming program, meeting at 7 p.m. each Monday and Wednesday at Central Oahu Regional Park. For details, call Ruthie Heuton at 677-8510.
* WELLNESS Shizendo ki method founder Hideo Kimura conducts Ki Wellness classes at 6 p.m. Mondays and Fridays, and Aikido for Seniors at 7:30 p.m. Mondays and Fridays at Aiea Soto Mission. Free trials are allowed. The mission is located at 99-045 Kauhale St. Call 671-1422.