West Oahu Highlights
Send West Oahu items to email@example.com or fax them to 585-6324 by Aug. 21 to be considered for the Aug. 28 edition.
* GUEST SPEAKERS District governor Phil Sammer visits the Rotary Club of Pearlridge at 11:30 a.m. Aug. 23 at the Pearl Country Club in Aiea. Next up is Leslie Wilcox of PBS Hawaii who will speak at 11:30 a.m. Aug. 30. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* NEIGHBORS Pearl City Neighborhood Board meets at 7 p.m. Aug. 27 at Waiau District Park, Makakilo-Kapolei-Honokai Hale meets at 7 p.m. Aug 28 at Kapolei High cafeteria, and Waipahu meets at 7 p.m. Aug. 28 at FilCom Center. Call 768-3710.
* VEGAN COOKING Vegetarian chef Ori Ann Li conducts a free cooking demonstration at 2 p.m. Aug. 24 at Aiea Library. Call 483-7333. Li also will give out tasty samples, answer questions and sign copies of her book, Ori Ann Li’s Vegan Paradise: 65 Unforgettable Recipes.
* BLOOD DRIVE Hawaii Blood Bank has a donor drive from 7 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Aug. 25 at Ewa Beach Elementary. Call 848-4770.
* MOM SUPPORT Moms Offering Support, a club for stay-at-home mothers, meets at 9 a.m. Aug. 22 for a free potluck picnic and membership rally at Waiau District Park. Email email@example.com.
* CAR SEATS Kaiser Permanente’s Waipio Clinic conducts a free inspection of child safety and booster seats from 3:30 to 6 p.m. Aug. 23 at 94-1480 Moaniani St. Pre-register at 432-2260.
* AIEA BON DANCE Aiea Hongwanji Mission has its bon dance at 7 p.m. Aug. 24 at 99-186 Puakala St. Call 488-5685.
* DECLUTTERING Simply Organized hosts a free workshop on “Declutter Solutions: Age in Place or Move” with Cynthia Arnold of Senior Move Managers and Declutter Hawaii at 1 p.m. Aug. 24 at its Kapolei store. Call 693-8888.
* BUTTERFLIES Kapolei Library unveils a sculpture of “The Very Hungry Caterpillar” at 1 p.m. Aug. 24 to mark its ninth anniversary (honoring the book by Eric Carle and sculpture by Alison Bishop). Dancetta Feary will bring her live butterfly house for guests to visit. Call 693-7050.
* CHICKEN SALE Pearl City High’s Band Boosters are selling tickets for its huli-huli chicken and sushi benefit, set for pickup from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Aug. 24 at Highlands Intermediate School administration parking lot. Whole chickens cost $9.50, maki sushi rolls are $5. Some walk-in orders are available. Call 454-5655.
* BLESSED WHEELS Father Paul Klitzke of St. Nicholas Episcopal Church performs the annual “Blessing of the Wheels” following the 10 a.m. service Aug. 25 for all cars, trucks, motorcycles, wheel-chairs, skateboards, etc. The church meets at Island Pacific Academy in Kapolei, 909 Haumea St. Call 753-7788.
* GIRL SCOUTS Pearl City area Girl Scouts plan an information session from 1 to 3 p.m. Aug. 25 at Gus Webling Elementary, 99-370 Paihi St., for all girls and parents interested in joining the program. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* ROTARY TALK UH West Oahu chancellor Rockne Freitas is guest speaker at the Kapolei Rotary Club’s 7:30 a.m. meeting Aug. 29 in the faculty lounge at Kapolei High. Email email@example.com.
* LAUGH SHACK Lanai & Augie’s “Comedy Laugh Shack” is booked for 8 p.m. Aug. 29 and Sept. 26 at Coral Creek Golf Course’s Pueo Restaurant. Tickets are $12 at the door or by calling 479-0576.
* KALAUPAPA Leeward Community College hosts an exhibit of Kalaupapa history, “A Source of Light, Constant and Never-Fading,” now through Aug. 30. Call 455-0268.
* KUNIA LIVE Kunia Shopping Center stages its second qualifying round of Kunia Live! from 3 to 5 p.m. Aug. 31 in the Bank of Hawaii parking lot. The singing competition is open to all ages. Register online at shopkunia.com.
* CAMPBELL REUNION Registration is due Aug. 31 for members of Campbell High School’s class of 1978 to participate in the 35th reunion, which will be held 7 p.m.-midnight Nov. 9 at The Hush Boutique Lounge in Hawaiian Monarch Hotel. For more information and to register, contact Karen Crowell at 226-7983 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
* AIEA BOOK CLUB Aiea Book Club meets at 6:30 p.m. Sept. 5 at Aiea Library to discuss Dave Eggers’ A Hologram for the King. Email email@example.com.
* PREP FAIR Vendors, exhibitors and donors are invited to sign up for the Ewa Beach Emergency Preparedness Fair, set for Sept. 7. Call 682-0111 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* CANE HAUL RACE The Waipahu Cane Haul Run/Walk starts at 6:30 a.m. Sept. 21 at Waipahu Town Center, sponsored by Waipahu Community Coalition, Weed and Seed-Waipahu, YMCA and the town center. A health fair and farmers market also are open from 7 to 9 a.m. Call 469-0330.
* LCC MARKET ‘Nalo Farms presents a weekly farmers market from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sundays in parking lot C at Leeward Community College, featuring local produce and prepared dishes. Call 259-7698.
* FLEA MARKET Hawaii Self Storage conducts a flea market from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. every Friday and Saturday at 2009 Lauwiliwili St. in Kapolei with new items daily and plenty of vendors. Email email@example.com.
* KI WELLNESS Shizendo ki method founder Hideo Kimura conducts a ki wellness class from 6 p.m. to 7:15 p.m. Mondays and Fridays at Aiea Soto Mission to share tips on pain relief and healthy exercise. Free trials are allowed. Call 671-1422.
* HULA AIEA Halau Hula O Kana Kapeka is accepting new students for hula and Tahitian dance classes that start in September at St. Elizabeth Church Hall in Aiea. Call 255-4001.
* HULA WAIPAHU No Kealoha No Hula halau offers adult beginner classes at 6 p.m. and intermediate classes at 7 p.m. Wednesdays in Village Park. Fee is $25 plus a refundable $25 deposit. Call instructor Desiree Numango at 478-0404.
* WAIPAHU SENIORS The city has weekly activities and programs for two senior citizen clubs in Waipahu: Waipahu Cosmopolitans at 9 a.m. Fridays (678-0871) and Waipahu Seniors at 9 a.m. Wednesdays (675-7129).