West Oahu Highlights
Send West Oahu items to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax them to 585-6324 by Aug. 14 to be considered for the Aug. 21 edition.
* SENIOR HEALTH Kaiser Permanente hosts a free Senior Summit talk, “Ready, Set, Thrive: Online Tools to Help You Live a Healthy Life,” at 10 a.m. Aug. 12 at its Waipio Clinic, 94-1480 Moaniani St. Call 432-2235.
* NEIGHBORS Aiea Neighborhood Board meets at 7:30 p.m. Aug. 12 at Aiea Library, Pearl City meets at 7 p.m. Aug. 27 at Waiau District Park, Makakilo-Kapolei-Honokai Hale meets at 7 p.m. Aug 28 at Kapolei High cafeteria and Waipahu meets at 7 p.m. Aug. 28 at FilCom Center. Call 768-3710.
* ROTARY TALK Kapolei Family Court chief judge Mark Browning is the guest speaker at the Kapolei Rotary Club’s 7:30 a.m. meeting Aug. 15 in the faculty lounge at Kapolei High. Email email@example.com.
* NO FALLS Kaiser Permanente hosts a free Senior Summit talk on “Fall Prevention” (for women only) at 11:30 a.m. Aug. 15 at the Kunia/Waipahu Curves, 940-300 Farrington Hwy. #G-11. Call 676-8305.
* BLOOD DRIVES Hawaii Blood Bank has donor drives from 9:15 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Aug. 15 at Aulani resort conference center, 7 a.m. to 1:15 p.m. Aug. 16 and 7:30 a.m to 1:30 p.m. Aug. 18 at Waikele Center, and 7 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Aug. 25 at Ewa Beach Elementary. Call 848-4770.
* HEALTHY HOME Malama Learning Center sponsors a Healthy Ohana workshop from 9 a.m. to noon Aug. 17 at Ilima at Lehano in Kapolei. Fee is $10 or $25 for a family of three. Dietitian Elizabeth Walker shares tips on meal planning, exercise and making less sugary drinks. Register at 692-8200, ext. 2267.
* COUNTRY GALA The Boys & Girls Club of Hawaii presents the 17th annual Walk In The Country at 5 p.m. Aug. 17 at Lanikuhonua at Ko Olina, featuring food, wine and an auction. For reservations, call Karen at 949-4203 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. To donate online, go to bgch.ejoinme.org/2013walk inthecountry.
* AIEA MARKET Pearlridge Center opens a farmers market from 8 a.m. to noon Aug. 17, offering produce, hot meals and Hawaii-made food products every Saturday in front of Sears and Zippy’s. Today’s grand opening features free shopping bags and prize drawings. Call 388-9696.
* WAIMALU HIKE The Hawaiian Trail & Mountain Club leads a 6-mile intermediate hike in Waimalu valley at 8 a.m. Aug. 18. Visit htmclub.org.
* ROYAL MUSIC The Royal Hawaiian Band entertains at 2 p.m. Aug. 18 at Pearlridge Center Uptown. Call 922-5331.
* MOM SUPPORT Moms Offering Support, a club for stay-at-home mothers, meets at 9 a.m. Aug. 22 for a free potluck picnic and membership rally at Waiau District Park. Email email@example.com.
* CAR SEATS Kaiser Permanente’s Waipio Clinic conducts a free inspection of child safety and booster seats from 3:30 to 6 p.m. Aug. 23 at 94-1480 Moaniani St. Pre-register at 432-2260.
* AIEA BON DANCE Aiea Hongwanji Mission has its bon dance at 7 p.m. Aug. 24 at 99-186 Puakala St. Call 488-5685.
* DECLUTTERING Simply Organized hosts a free workshop on “Declutter Solutions: Age in Place or Move” with Cynthia Arnold of Senior Move Managers and Declutter Hawaii at 1 p.m. Aug. 24 at its Kapolei store. Call 693-8888.
* BUTTERFLIES Kapolei Library unveils a sculpture of “The Very Hungry Caterpillar” at 1 p.m. Aug. 24 to mark its ninth anniversary (honoring the book by Eric Carle and sculpture by Alison Bishop). Dancetta Feary will bring her live butterfly house for guests to visit. Call 693-7050.
* CHICKEN SALE Pearl City High’s Band Boosters are selling tickets for its huli-huli chicken and sushi benefit, set for pickup from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Aug. 24 at Highlands Intermediate school administration parking lot. Whole chickens cost $9.50, maki sushi rolls $5. Some walk-in orders are available. Call 454-5655.
* BLESSED WHEELS Father Paul Klitzke of St. Nicholas Episcopal Church performs the annual “Blessing of the Wheels” following the 10 a.m. service Aug. 25 for all cars, trucks, motorcycles, wheel-chairs, skateboards, etc. The church meets at Island Pacific Academy in Kapolei, 909 Haumea St. Call 753-7788.
* GIRL SCOUTS Pearl City area Girl Scouts plan an information session from 1 to 3 p.m. Aug. 25 at Gus Webling Elementary, 99-370 Paihi St., for all girls and parents interested in joining the program. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* ROTARY TALK UH West Oahu chancellor Rockne Freitas is the guest speaker at the Kapolei Rotary Club’s 7:30 a.m. meeting Aug. 29 in the faculty lounge at Kapolei High. Email email@example.com.
* LAUGH SHACK Lanai & Augie’s “Comedy Laugh Shack” is booked for 8 p.m. Aug. 29 and Sept. 26 at Coral Creek Golf Course’s Pueo Restaurant. Tickets are $12 at the door or by calling 479-0576.
* KALAUPAPA Leeward Community College hosts an exhibit of Kalaupapa history, “A Source of Light, Constant and Never-Fading,” now through Aug. 30. Call 455-0268.
* KUNIA LIVE Kunia Shopping Center stages its second qualifying round of Kunia Live! from 3 to 5 p.m. Aug. 31 in the Bank of Hawaii parking lot. The singing competition is open to all ages. Register online at shopkunia.com.
* AIEA BOOK CLUB Aiea Book Club meets at 6:30 p.m. Sept. 5 at Aiea Library to discuss Dave Eggers’ A Hologram for the King. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* PREP FAIR Vendors, exhibitors and donors are invited to sign up for the Ewa Beach Emergency Preparedness Fair, set for Sept. 7. Call 682-0111 or email email@example.com.
* CANE HAUL RACE The Waipahu Cane Haul Run/Walk starts at 6:30 a.m. Sept. 21 at Waipahu Town Center, sponsored by Waipahu Community Coalition, Weed and Seed-Waipahu, YMCA and the town center. A health fair and farmers market also are open from 7 to 9 a.m. Call 469-0330.
* LCC MARKET ‘Nalo Farms presents a weekly farmers market from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sundays in parking lot C at Leeward Community College, featuring local produce and prepared dishes. Call 259-7698.
* FLEA MARKET Hawaii Self Storage conducts a flea market from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. every Friday and Saturday at 2009 Lauwiliwili St. in Kapolei with new items daily and plenty of vendors. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* KI WELLNESS Shizendo ki method founder Hideo Kimura conducts a ki wellness class at 6 p.m. weeknights at Aiea Soto Mission to share tips on pain relief and healthy exercise. Free trials are allowed. Call 671-1422.
* HULA AIEA Halau Hula O Kana Kapeka is accepting new students for hula and Tahitian dance classes that start in September at St. Elizabeth Church Hall in Aiea. Call 255-4001.
* HULA WAIPAHU No Kealoha No Hula halau offers adult beginner classes at 6 p.m. and intermediate classes at 7 p.m. Wednesdays in Village Park. Fee is $25 plus a refundable $25 deposit. Call instructor Desiree Numango at 478-0404.