West Oahu Highlights
Send West Oahu items to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax them to 585-6324 by July 24 to be considered for the July 31 edition.
* NEIGHBORS Pearl City Neighborhood Board meets at 7 p.m. July 23 at Waiau District Park, Makakilo-Kapolei-Honokai Hale meets at 7 p.m. July 24 at Kapolei High cafeteria, and Waipahu meets at 7 p.m. July 24 at FilCom Center. Call 768-3710.
* UNIFORMS August Ahrens Elementary School distributes school uniforms from noon to 4 p.m. July 24 in the main cafeteria. Also, a meet-and-greet will replace its open house on the following hourly schedule Aug. 2: grade 1 at 8 a.m., grade 2 at 9, grade 3 at 10, grade 4 at 11, grade 5 at noon and grade 6 at 1 p.m. Kindergartners have separate parent orientations. Call 675-0202.
* ROTARY TALK Suzanne Skjold, executive director of Hawaii Literacy, is the guest speaker at Kapolei Rotary Club’s 7:30 a.m. meeting July 25 in the faculty lounge at Kapolei High. Email email@example.com.
* LAUGH SHACK Lanai & Augie’s “Comedy Laugh Shack” is booked for 8 p.m. July 25, Aug. 29 and Sept. 26 at Coral Creek Golf Course’s Pueo Restaurant. Tickets are $12 at the door or by calling 479-0576.
* VEGAN COOKING Chef Ori Ann Li demonstrates and shares vegan recipes from her cookbook at 1 p.m. July 27 at Kapolei Library. Call 693-7058.
* SPORTS PHYSICALS DOE offers free sports physicals from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Nanakuli High and Intermediate School. Students must bring a school ID and be accompanied by a legal guardian. Each student who receives a sports physical and attends short presentations about sports injuries will be given as prize. To register, call 668-5832 or 668-5823.
* CONVOY Convoy of Hope Hawaii distributes about $200 in food and services to each visitor from 10 a.m. July 27 (while supplies last) at Aloha Stadium and at Kapolei Fairgrounds – from food to shoes, haircuts to dental screenings. A rally for volunteers also is planned for 7 p.m. July 26 at First Assembly of God Red Hill. Call 380-4184 or visit hawaiiconvoy.org.
* AIEA BOOK CLUB Aiea Book Club meets at 6:30 p.m. Aug. 1 at Aiea Library to discuss Katherine Boo’s Behind the Beautiful Forever. Email firstname.lastname@example.org m.
* WAIPAHU BON Waipahu Soto Zen Temple Taiyoji has its bon dances at 7 p.m. Aug. 2 and 3 at 94-413 Waipahu St. Call 671-3103.
* UNTHIRSTY PLANTS Halawa Xeriscape Garden has its 25th annual open house and unthirsty plant sale from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Aug. 3 at 99-1268 Iwaena St. Call 748-5363.
* GETTING ORGANIZED Simply Organized hosts a FreedomRail workshop, which focuses on ways to use the closet organizing system, from 1 to 2 p.m. at its Kapolei store. Next up, the store hosts “The Best of Feng Shui and Life” from 1 to 2 p.m. Aug. 10. Life guide Alice Inoue will share tips to create supportive environments. Call 693-8888.
* BENEFIT EVENT The Boys & Girls Club of Hawaii hosts the 17th annual Walk In The Country at 5 p.m. Aug. 17 at Lanikuhonua at Ko Olina. The event features food, wine and an auction. All proceeds benefit the Boys & Girls Club. For reservation information, contact Karen ast 949-4203 or email@example.com. To donate online, visit bgch.ejoinme.org/2013Wal kinthecountry.
* PREP FAIR Vendors, exhibitors and donors are invited to participate in the Ewa Beach Emergency Preparedness Fair, set for Sept. 7. Call 682-0111 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* WAIPAHU SENIORS The city sponsors weekly activities and programs for two senior citizen clubs in Waipahu: Waipahu Cosmopolitans at 9 a.m. Fridays (678-0871) and Waipahu Seniors at 9 a.m. Wednesdays (675-7129).
* PEARL CITY SENIORS The city sponsors weekly activities and programs for Pearl City Seniors Club at 9:30 a.m. Tuesdays at Manana Community Park. Call 453-7550.
* WAIAU SENIORS The city sponsors weekly activities and programs for Waiau Seniors Club at 9:30 a.m. Mondays at Waiau District Park. Call 453-7555.
* MAKAKILO SENIORS The city sponsors weekly activities and programs for Makakilo Seniors Club at 9 a.m. Mondays at Makakilo Community Park. Call 672-8465.
* EWA SENIORS The city sponsors weekly activities and programs for Ewa Hui Aloha at 8:30 a.m. Fridays at Asing Community Park. Call 681-6435.
* CRESTVIEW SENIORS The city sponsors weekly activities and programs for Crestview Sunrisers at 9:30 a.m. Fridays at Crestview Community Park. Call 671-4838.
* KALAUPAPA Leeward Community College hosts an exhibit of Kalaupapa history, “A Source of Light, Constant and Never-Fading,” now through Aug. 30. Call 455-0268.
* ZUMBA Kaiser Permanente offers a Zumba class at 5:30 p.m. Monday and Wednesday, now through Aug. 7 at its Waipio Clinic. Fee is $5 per class for members, $6.50 for non-members. Call 432-2260.
* ZUMBA Debbie Rosario leads a Zumba class at 6 p.m. each Friday at Makakilo Elementary School. Fee is $5 per class. Call 780-5640.
* ZUMBA Pinoy Crew 808 leads Zumba classes at 6:30 p.m. Wednesdays and Fridays at FilCom Center. Fee is $5 per session. Call 680-0451.
* YOGA Free classes in Holistic Energy Yoga meet at 10:30 a.m. Wednesdays at Waiau District Park. Call 381-4376.
* HIDEAWAY BAND 11th Hour performs original and cover rock music from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. every third Saturday at the Hideaway, 1 Coral Sea Road in Kalaeloa. Free admission for ages 21 and older with military ID. Call 347-1323.
* TACKLE FOOTBALL USO Athletic Club is signing up players in grades 5-8 for tackle football (no weight limit) and grades 1-4 for flag football (Jr. Prep league). Coaches also are needed. Call Leilani at 275-6134.
* VEGGIE COOKS Down to Earth offers free vegetarian cooking classes at 4 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. Wednesdays at its Kapolei store, and at 5:30 p.m. on the first and third Monday at its Pearlridge store. Call 947-3249.
* STRIDERS The Leeward Stroller Strides group meets at 8:45 a.m. Tuesdays and Thursday at Central Oahu Regional Park, offering a fitness walk for moms and tots in strollers. Fee is $60 a month. A Kapolei group meets at 8:45 a.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Call 398-6275.
* HULA No Kealoha O Hula offers hula classes Wednesday nights in Waipahu, with beginners at 6 and intermediate students at 7:10 p.m. Call Desiree at 478-0404.
* ROLLER DERBY The Aloha City Rollers are recruiting new players and referees for league play in the West Oahu area. All men and women ages 18-50 are welcome to learn and compete in this fun team sport. Call 454-3847 or visit 808derby.com.
* MASTERS SWIM The Veterans Memorial Aquatic Center has launched a U.S. Masters swimming program, meeting at 7 p.m. each Monday and Wednesday at Central Oahu Regional Park. Call Ruthie Heuton at 677-8510.