West Oahu Highlights
Send West Oahu items to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax them to 585-6324 by July 17 to be considered for the July 24 edition.
* KAPOLEI DANCE The Kapolei chapter of the Hawaii Ballroom Dance Association registers students at 7 p.m. July 15 at Makakilo Community Park for lessons in mambo and fox-trot. Classes started July 1 for eight Monday nights with a nominal fee. Call 781-2076 or 220-6026.
* AUGIE T. West Oahu comedian Augie T. does a benefit show at 7 p.m. July 19 in Kapolei High auditorium for the Makakilo Ducks Youth Flag Football team. Admission is $10. Call 457-7028.
* SCHOOL SUPPLIES Kapolei Rotarians conduct a school supply drive from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. July 19 at Kapolei Walmart and at the same time July 20 and 21 at Kapolei Longs Drugs. Email email@example.com.
* SUMMER FUN Free Summer Fun finales are set for 7 p.m. July 19 at Halawa District Park (483-7852) and 10 a.m. July 24 at Ewa Beach Community Park (689-0370).
* ORCHID SHOW Ewa Orchid Society has its annual orchid show and plant sale, “Ewa Orchid Express,” from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. July 19 and 20, and 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. July 21 at Ewa Elementary School on Renton Road, featuring workshops and demonstrations at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. July 19 and 20, and 10 a.m. July 21. Call 351-6897 or go to the club’s Facebook site.
* ORGANIZED Simply Organized offers a free workshop on “Organizing for your Brain Type” with Nancy Nino at 1 p.m. July 20 at the Kapolei store on Kamokila Boulevard. Call 693-8888.
* COOKING LOCAL Malama Learning Center presents “Cooking with Locally Grown Foods” from 9 a.m. to noon July 20 at Ilima at Leihano in Kapolei, where chef Cindy Pratt shares the best sources for local ingredients and shows how to prepare a complete menu from them. Fee is $10, or $25 per family of three. Visit malamalearningcenter.org.
* AIEA HIKE The Sierra Club leads a “Sierra Seminar” hike at 8 a.m. July 21 off the Aiea Loop Trail. Call 538-6616 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* BLOOD DRIVES Hawaii Blood Bank has donor drives from 7 a.m. to 2:15 p.m. July 21 at Waikele Center and 7 a.m.-2:30 p.m. July 28 at Ewa Beach Elementary School. Call 848-4770.
* NEIGHBORS Pearl City Neighborhood Board meets at 7 p.m. July 23 at Waiau District Park, Makakilo-Kapolei-Honokai Hale meets at 7 p.m. July 24 at Kapolei High cafeteria, and Waipahu meets at 7 p.m. July 24 at FilCom Center. Call 768-3710.
* UNIFORMS August Ahrens Elementary School distributes school uniforms from noon to 4 p.m. July 24 in the main cafeteria. Also, a meet-and-greet will replace its open house on the following hourly schedule Aug. 2: grade 1 at 8 a.m., grade 2 at 9, grade 3 at 10 , grade 4 at 11, grade 5 at noon and grade 6 at 1 p.m. Kindergartners have separate parent orientations. Call 675-0202.
* ROTARY TALK Suzanne Skjold, executive director of Hawaii Literacy, is guest speaker at the Kapolei Rotary Club’s 7:30 a.m. meeting July 25 in the faculty lounge at Kapolei High. Email email@example.com.
* LAUGH SHACK Lanai & Augie’s “Comedy Laugh Shack” is booked for 8 p.m. July 25, Aug. 29 and Sept. 26 at Coral Creek Golf Course’s Pueo Restaurant. Tickets are $12 at the door or by calling 479-0576.
* VEGAN COOKING Chef Ori Ann Li demonstrates and shares vegan recipes from her cookbook at 1 p.m. July 27 at Kapolei Library. Call 693-7058.
* CONVOY Convoy of Hope Hawaii distributes about $200 in food and services to each visitor from 10 a.m. on July 27 (while supplies last) at Aloha Stadium and at Kapolei Fairgrounds – from food to shoes, haircuts to dental screenings. A rally for volunteers also is planned for 7 p.m. July 26 at First Assembly of God Red Hill. Call 380-4184 or visit hawaiiconvoy.org.
* AIEA BOOK CLUB Aiea Book Club meets at 6:30 p.m. Aug. 1 at Aiea Library to discuss Katherine Boo’s Behind the Beautiful Forever. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* WAIPAHU BON Waipahu Soto Zen Temple Taiyoji has its bon dances at 7 p.m. Aug. 2 and 3 at 94-413 Waipahu St. For more information, call 671-3103.
* UNTHIRSTY PLANTS Halawa Xeriscape Garden has its 25th annual open house and unthirsty plant sale from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Aug. 3 at 99-1268 Iwaena St. Call 748-5363.
* PREP FAIR Vendors, exhibitors and donors are invited to participate in the Ewa Beach Emergency Preparedness Fair, set for Sept. 7. For more information, call 682-0111 or email email@example.com.