West Oahu Highlights
Send West Oahu items to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax them to 585-6324 by June 26 to be considered for the July 3 edition.
* PUPPETS Puppeteer Christy Lipps entertains with stories, rhymes and puppetry at 1 p.m. June 24 at Pearl City Library. Call 453-6566.
* MOVIE NIGHT Ewa Beach Library hosts Summer Movie Night at 6 p.m. June 24 featuring the animated film Rise of the Guardians. Call 689-1204.
* EWA TOWN HALL The “Sensible Slate” members of Makakilo-Kapolei-Honokai Hale Neighborhood Board conduct a town hall meeting on the Ewa Development Plan from 7 to 9:30 p.m. June 25 at Kapolei High cafeteria, featuring experts on traffic, agriculture, water and climate change. The meeting will be broadcast live on ‘Olelo channel 54. Call city planner Bob Stanfield at 768-8051 or email email@example.com.
* WAIMALU DANCE Registration is set for 7 to 8 p.m. June 25 and July 2 and 9 at Waimalu Elementary School for classes in samba and waltz with the Pearlridge chapter of Hawaii Ballroom Dance Association. Classes run from 7 to 9 p.m. Tuesdays, July 2-Aug. 20 with nominal fees. Call 836-4579 or 488-3935.
* NEIGHBORS Pearl City Neighborhood Board meets at 7 p.m. June 25 at Waiau District Park, Makakilo-Kapolei-Honokai Hale meets at 7 p.m. June 26 at Kapolei High cafeteria, and Waipahu meets at 7 p.m June 26 at the FilCom Center. Call 768-3710.
* RESOURCE DAY The U.S. Small Business Administration hosts a resource day from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. June 27 at the Ewa Beach branch of Central Pacific Bank. Call 541-2990, ext. 211, for an appointment. * KAPOLEI BOOKS Kapolei Book Club meets at 6:30 p.m. June 27 at the Villages of Kapolei Rec Center to discuss The Great Gatsby. The group meets on the fourth Thursday of each month. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* CAREGIVERS The Caregiver Foundation sponsors a West Oahu support group from 7 to 9 p.m. June 27 at 891 Kamaaha Ave. in Kapolei. Call 625-3782.
* MURDER CASE Aiea Library presents “The Cracks in the Wall: An Interactive Mystery Game” at 5 p.m. June 27 for ages 12 and older, featuring a CSI-inspired interactive detective game. Call 483-7333.
* CAR SEATS Kaiser Permanente conducts free keiki car seat or booster seat inspections from 3:30 to 6 p.m. June 28 at its Waipio Clinic, 94-1480 Moaniani St. Preregister at 432-2260.
*RONALD McDonald’s Restaurants sponsors “Book Time with Ronald McDonald” at 2:30 p.m. June 28 at Waipahu Library. Call 675-0358.
* ART & NATURE Malama Learning Center sponsors a workshop on “Creating your own Hawaii Pictures” from 9 a.m. to noon June 29 at Ilima At Leihano in Kapolei. Fee is $10 per person, $15 for a family of three. It highlights the Islands’ beauty through artists Georgia O’Keeffe and Ansel Adams, and teaches basic painting techniques. Call 542-9107.
* KUNIA LIVE Kunia Shopping Center brings back its Kunia Live! singing contest with the first qualifying event from 3 to 5 p.m. June 29 in the Bank of Hawaii parking lot. All ages are welcome to compete for cash prizes, with the grand finale Nov. 16. Bring your own instrumental music CD. Call 753-7507.
* KEIKI SCULPTURE Alison Bishop of Adventures in Art leads a workshop in sculpture for children a 10:30 a.m. June 29 at Kapolei Library, creating together Eric Carle’s Very Hungry Caterpillar. Call 693-7050.
* AQUAPONICS Board of Water Supply and Friends of Halawa Xeriscape Garden host an Advanced Aqua-ponics workshop from 10:30 a.m. to noon June 29 at the garden, covering potential system problems, water quality and more. Fee is $5, or free to Friends. Register by 5 p.m. June 28 at 748-5363 or email email@example.com.
* IKEBANA Brian Nakano and Hiroe Suenaga demonstrate ikebana korinka flower arranging at 1 p.m. June 30 at Pearl City Library, featuring the techniques of the late Mokichi Okada. Class is limited to 20 people age 12 and older and students must register in person. For more details, call 453-6566.
* TRIATHLON Pacific Sport Events presents the Firecracker Sprint Triathlon from 6 to 8:30 a.m. June 30 at Nimitz Beach Park. Call Steve Foster at 864-0113.
* PIGEONS Doug Beter presents his Rainbow Pigeons at 1 p.m. July 1 at Pearl City Library and talks about their care and flying talents. Call 453-6566.
* WAIPAHU TV KFVE broadcasts the Waipahu High School team’s performance on It’s Academic Hawaii at 7 p.m. July 1 and 6 p.m. July 7.
* KAPOLEI DANCE The Kapolei chapter of the Hawaii Ballroom Dance Association registers students at 7 p.m. July 1, 8 and 15 at Makakilo Community Park for lessons in mambo and foxtrot. Classes also start July 1 for eight Monday nights for a nominal fee. Call 781-2076 or 220-6026.
* TAIKO Kenny Endo Taiko Ensemble performs at 6:30 p.m. July 2 at Ewa Beach Library. Call 689-1204.
* BLOOD DRIVES Hawaii Blood Bank has donor drives from 7:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. July 2 at Pali Momi Medical Center, 7 a.m.-1:30 p.m. July 4 at Pearlridge Center, and 7:45 a.m. to 2 p.m. July 8 at the state’s Kakuhihewa Building in Kapolei. Call 848-4770.
* MANANA DANCE Registration is set for 7 p.m. July 2 and 9 at Manana Elementary School for classes in samba and waltz with the Pearl City chapter of Hawaii Ballroom Dance Association. Classes run from 7 to 8:30 p.m. Tuesdays, July 2-Aug. 20 with nominal fees. Call 224-5927.
* MUSICAL SALUTE The Battleship Missouri Memorial marks Independence Day with “A Salute to Valor” music festival at 2 p.m. July 4. Singers from ensembles around the country will join together to form the Festival Chorus and perform patriotic music. Shuttle service will be provided for those without base access. Admission is $7. Call 1-800-727-1999, ext. 166.
* MAGIC Magician Alan Arita entertains with comedy, illusions and audience participation at 10:30 a.m. July 6 at Kapolei Library. Call 693-7050.
* ORGANIZED Simply Organized offers a free workshop on FreedomRail for cool closets at 1 p.m. July 6 at its Kapolei store on Kamokila Boulevard. Call 693-8888.
* SKIN CANCER Kaiser Permanente sponsors a free Senior Summit on protecting your skin at 10 a.m. July 8 at its Waipio Clinic, 94-1480 Moaniani St. Call 432-2235.
* KAPOLEI PLAN A planning meeting is set for 6:30 p.m. July 8 in the Kapolei High teachers lounge to coordinate E Ola Pono Ma Kapolei’s second community work day. The Coalition for a Drug-free Hawaii group is fighting substance abuse in the community. Call 484-9787.
* AIEA BOOK CLUB Aiea Book Club meets at 6:30 p.m. July 11 at the Aiea Library to discuss Laura Hillenbrand’s Unbroken: A WWII Story of Survival. The Aug. 1 topic is Katherine Boo’s Behind the Beautiful Forever. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* HULA CAMPS Na Pua o Keko’olani Halau has summer hula camps in Makakilo for wahine and keiki ages 4 and older from 4 to 6 p.m.Thursdays, July 11-Aug. 15. Call 754-0051.
* ZUMBA Debbie Rosa-rio leads Zumba at 6 p.m. Fridays at Makakilo Elementary for $5 per class. Call 780-5640.
* ZUMBA Pinoy Crew 808 leads Zumba at 6:30 p.m. Wednesdays and Fridays at FilCom Center. Fee is $5 per class. Call 680-0451.
* ZUMBA Kaiser has Zumba at 5:30 p.m. Monday and Wednesday through