West Oahu Highlights
Send West Oahu items to email@example.com or fax them to 585-6324 by June 12 to be considered for the June 19 edition.
• RONALD McDonald’s Restaurants sponsors “Book Time with Ronald McDon- ald” at 1 p.m. June 10 at Pearl City Library (453-6566), 10:30 a.m. June 18 at Aiea Library (483-7333) and 2:30 p.m. June 28 at Waipahu Library (675- 0358).
• NEIGHBORS Aiea Neighborhood Board meets at 7:30 p.m. June 10 at Aiea Library, and Ewa meets at 7 p.m. June 13 at Ewa Beach Library. Call 768-3710.
• HULA CAMPS Na Pua o Keko‘olani Halau has summer hula camps in Makakilo for wahine and keiki ages 4 and older from 4 to 6 p.m. June 10-13, andfrom4to6p.m. Thursdays, Makakilo for wahine and keiki ages 4 and older from 4 to 6 p.m. June 10-13, and from 4 to 6 p.m. Thursdays, July 11- Aug. 15. Email firstname.lastname@example.org m or call 754-0051.
• HOLIDAY Public libraries are closed June 11 in observance of Kamehameha Day.
• BLOOD DRIVES Hawaii Blood Bank has donor drives from 7:30 to 11:45 a.m. June 11 at Waikele Center, 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. June 12 at LCC, 10 a.m.-2:15 p.m. June 13 at Ihilani Resort’s Ocean Ballroom and 7 a.m.-1:45 p.m. June 23 at Waikele Center. Call 848-4770.
• KAPOLEI PLANS E Ola Pono Ma Kapolei Community Coalition begins planning for its October community day at 6:30 p.m. June 12 at Kapolei High cafeteria. Everyone planning for its October community day at 6:30 p.m. June 12 at Kapolei High cafeteria. Everyone is welcome. Call 484-9787.
• CHORUS Hawaii Youth Chorus offers summer classes in chorus (ages 5- 12) and glee (ages 12-17) Wednesdays from June 12 to July 17 at Waipahu United Church of Christ on Mokuola Street. The chorus meets at 5:30 p.m. and glee meets at 6:30 p.m. Fee is $99. Call 623-2411.
• ROTARY SPEAKER Kapolei Rotary Club meets at 7:30 a.m. June 13 in the Kapolei High teachers lounge to hear from Hunt Co. developers about their planned Kalaeloa housing project. Email email@example.com.
• CHARITY GOLF The Joshua Neves Children’s Foundation has a benefit golf tournament starting at 10 a.m. June 14 at Hawaii Prince Golf Club in Ewa Beach, Fee is $435 for a three-person team, including lunch, dinner, prizes and more. Visit nevesfoundation.org.
• TRAINING The Building Industry Foundation course, “ComPACT: Building Skills to Build Lives” accepts applications for course scholarships through June 14 from adults living in the Ewa Beach area for pre-apprenticeship construction training. Call 629-7505.
• SOCCER TRYOUTS Ka‘oi Soccer Club conducts free tryouts from 10 a.m. to noon June 15 for boys and girls ages 7 to 19 at Waiau Community Park. Registration starts at 9 a.m. Call Monty at 864-2791.
• STARGAZING The Hawaiian Astronomical Society hosts a free “star party” from 7:15 to 10 p.m. June 15 at Geiger Community Park in Ewa by Gentry, 1129 Kahiuka St., complete with telescopes and astronomers. Contact 683-0118 or peter@besen- bruch.info.
• MUSUBI MAN Honolulu Theatre for Youth presents a free performance of Musubi Man at 10:30 a.m. June 15 at Kapolei Library (693-7050), and 10:30 a.m. June 18 at Waipahu Library (675- 0358).
• BUTTERFLIES Pearlridge Center presents an exhibit of butterflies, “Flutter: A Green Experience,” June 15-July 14, complete with workshops, hands-on activities and a scavenger hunt for prizes. Fee is $3, and keiki under 8 are admitted free with a paying adult. Call 488-0981.
• WAIMALU DANCE Registration is set for 7 to 8 p.m. June 18, 25 and July 2 and 9 at Waimalu Elementary School for class- es in samba and waltz with the Pearlridge chapter of Hawaii Ballroom Dance Association. Classes meet from 7 to 9 p.m. Tuesdays, July 2-Aug. 20 with nominal fees. Call 836-4579 or 488- 3935.
• FILIPINO KIDS Fil-Com Center has a “Filipino for Kids” cultural program from 8:30 a.m. to noon Saturdays, June 22-July 27. Fee is $50. Call 680-0451.
• KAPOLEI BOOKS Kapolei Book Club meets at 6:30 p.m. June 27 at the Villages of Kapolei Rec Center to discuss The Great Gatsby (lauriehana@some- whereinparadise.biz).
• ART & NATURE Malama Learning Center sponsors a workshop on “Creating your own Hawaii Pictures” from 9 a.m. to noon June 29 at Ilima At Leihano in Kapolei. Fee is $10 per person, $15 for a family of three. It highlights the Islands’ beauty through artists Georgia O’Keeffe and Ansel Adams, and teaches basic painting techniques. Call 542-9107.
• MANANA DANCE Registration is set for 7 p.m. July 2 and 9 at Manana Elementary School for class- es in samba and waltz with the Pearl City chapter of Hawaii Ballroom Dance Association. Classes are 7- 8:30 p.m. Tuesdays, July 2-Aug. 20 with nominal fees. Call 224-5927.
• KALAUPAPA Leeward Community College hosts an exhibit of Kalaupapa history, “A Source of Light, Constant and Never-Fading,” now through Aug. 30. Call 455- 0268.
• ZUMBA Debbie Rosario leads Zumba classes at 6 p.m. Fridays at Makakilo Elementary. Fee is $5 per class. Call 780- 5640.
• ZUMBA Pinoy Crew 808 leads Zumba classes at 6:30 p.m. Wednesdays and Fridays at FilCom Center. Fee is $5 per session. Call 680-0451.
• ZUMBA Kaiser Permanente has Zumba classes at 5:30 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays through Aug. 7 at its Waipio Clinic. Fee is $5 per class for members, $6.50 for non-members. Call 432-2260.
• YOGA Free classes in Holistic Energy Yoga meet at 10:30 a.m. Wednesdays at Waiau District Park. Call 381-4376.
• ROLLER DERBY The Aloha City Rollers are recruiting new players and referees for league play in the West Oahu area. All men and women ages18- 50 are welcome to learn and compete in this fun team sport. Call 454-3847 or visit 808derby.com.
• MASTERS SWIM Veterans Memorial Aquatic Center has a U.S. Masters swimming program, meeting at 7 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays at Central Oahu Regional Park. Call Ruthie Heuton at 677-8510.
• SLACK KEY Yameen Fong leads beginner slack- key guitar classes from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Thursdays at Ewa Beach Community Park on North Road. The course consists of four sessions, and students should bring their own guitars. Call 685-6035 or visit fongsmusic.homestead.com.