West Oahu Highlights
Send West Oahu items to email@example.com or fax them to 585-6324 by May 15 to be considered for the May 22 edition.
* DON’T FALL Kaiser Permanente physical therapists present a free program at 10 a.m. May 13 on “Fall Prevention Among Older Adults: Strategies for preparing yourself and your home” at its Waipio Clinic, 94-1480 Moaniani St. Call 432-2235.
* NEIGHBORS Aiea Neighborhood Board meets at 7:30 p.m. May 13 at Aiea Library, Makakilo-Kapolei-Honokai Hale meets at 7 p.m. May 22 at Kapolei High cafeteria and Waipahu meets at 7 p.m. May 22 at the FilCom Center. Call 768-3710.
* END OF LIFE Kaiser Permanente offers a free class on “Advance Directives” for families and their loves ones at 10 a.m. May 14 at its Waipio Clinic, 94-1480 Moaniani St. The class examines the forms needed so survivors know your specific wishes at time of death. Call 432-2260.
* STAGE KIDS Performing Arts Center of Kapolei conducts an intermediate and advance tap dance course, meeting at 5:30 p.m. Tuesdays, May 14-June 18, at Kapolei High School Forum. A variety of summer courses also are planned. Call 638-8015.
* BLOOD DRIVE Hawaii Blood Bank has a donor drive from 7:30 a.m. to 1:45 p.m. May 16 at Aulani resort (Ka Ala III and IV). Call 848-4770.
* CHURCH SALE Pearl City Community Church has a White Elephant Sale and Country Store from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. May 18 at 933 Lehua Ave. to support its women’s retreat scholarship fund and transition house for women. Call 455-4148.
* BIKE RODEO Kapolei Library hosts a Keiki Bicycle Safety Rodeo at 10:30 a.m. May 18, offering tips on safe riding and a limited supply of free helmets. Children age 3 and older must bring their own bikes, helmets (and parents) to participate in the rodeo. Call 693-7050.
* HIDEAWAY BAND 11th Hour performs original and cover rock music from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. May 18 and every third Saturday at the Hideaway, 1 Coral Sea Road in Kalaeloa. Free admission for ages 21 and older with military ID. Call 347-1323.
* RAIN BARRELS Halawa Xeriscape Garden conducts a rain barrel catchment workshop at 10:30 a.m. May 18 at 99-1268 Iwaena St. Fee is $35. Call 748-5363.
* NISHIHARA HOUR State Sen. Clarence Nishihara meets with constituents at 8 a.m. May 18 for a coffee hour at the Waipahu Don Quixote. Call 728-1008.
* GARDEN WORKSHOP Oahu Resource Conservation and Development Council and Pioneer HiBred present a gardening workshop on vegetables and herbs at 9 a.m. May 18 at Pioneer’s research facility in Kunia. Donation is $5. Call 622-9026.
* AIEA DANCE The Aiea High Repertory Dance Company presents its spring concert at 6 p.m. May 18 in the school dance studio, and 4 p.m. May 19 at Pearl City Cultural Center. Call 483-7300, ext. 368 for tickets.
* VETS RACE Podium Raceway hosts a “Race for the Vets” benefit from 2 to 6 p.m. May 19, featuring electric kart races, a car show, vendors, food trucks, live deejays and prizes. Proceeds support the U.S. VETS Barbers Point Homeless Veterans facility. Event sponsor is Flagship FastLube. The track is at 91-1085 Lexington. St. Bldg. 1844, Kalaeloa. Call 358-4376.
* CAREGIVERS The Caregiver Foundation sponsors a support group at 7 p.m. May 23 at its Kapolei office. Call 625-3782.
* ROTARY TALK Sherry Menor-McNamera, CEO to be for the Hawaii Chamber of Commerce, is guest speaker at the Kapolei Rotary Club’s 7:30 a.m. meeting May 23 in the faculty lounge at Kapolei High. Her topic is the impact of new legislation on business in Hawaii. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* HARMONY The Sounds of Aloha Chorus pays tribute to the USS Missouri in its annual concerts, set for 2:03 and 7:33 p.m. May 25 at Leeward Community College Theatre. The show features Vocal Spectrum and other award-winning barbershop quartets and choruses. For tickets, call 497-3811.
* GARDEN CLASS Halawa Xeriscape Garden conducts a Spiral Keyhole garden workshop at 10:30 a.m. May 25 at 99-1268 Iwaena St. Fee is $5. Call 748-5363.
* POUHALA MARSHHawaii Nature Center volunteers clean up Pouhala Marsh on Waipahu Depot Road from 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. May 25. Call 955-0100, ext. 118.
* BOOK SALE Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church has a used book sale from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. May 25 at 91-1004 North Road (next to Campbell High) featuring books, movie DVDs, music CDs, used office furniture and bookshelves. Call 685-4460.
* ELDER CARE Eden at Home program offers a training workshop from 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. June 1 at Our Lady of good Counsel Church in Pearl City to assist families with caring for their loved ones at home. Fee is $10. Register one week ahead at 945-3736.
* AIEA BOOK CLUB Aiea Book Club meets at 6:30 p.m. June 6 at Aiea Library to discuss Katherine Govier’s The Print-maker’s Daughter. Email email@example.com.
* ZUMBA Kaiser Permanente runs a Zumba class at 5:30 p.m. Monday and Wednesday, now through June 17 at its Waipio Clinic. Fee is $6.50 per class for non-members. Call 432-2260.
* YOGA Holistic Energy Yoga classes meet at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday-Friday at Momilani Community Center. Fee is $10 per class. Call 381-4376.
* TACKLE BALL USO Athletic Club is signing up players in grades 5-8 for tackle football (no weight limit) and grades 1-4 for flag football (Jr. Prep league). Coaches also are needed. Call Leilani at 275-6134.
* VEGGIE COOKS Down to Earth has free vegetarian cooking classes at 4 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. Wednesdays at its Kapolei store, and at 5:30 p.m. on the first and third Monday at its Pearlridge store. Call 947-3249.
* ZUMBA Pinoy Crew 808 leads Zumba classes at 6:30 p.m. each Wednesday and Friday at the FilCom Center. Fee is $5 per session. Call 680-0451.
* STRIDERS The Leeward Stroller Strides group meets at 8:45 a.m. Tuesdays and Thursday at Central Oahu Regional Park, offering a fitness walk for moms and tots in strollers. Fee is $60 a month. A Kapolei group meets at 8:45 a.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Call 398-6275.
* HULA No Kealoha O Hula offers hula classes Wednesday nights in Waipahu, with beginners at 6 and intermediate students at 7:10 p.m. Call Desiree at 478-0404.
* ROLLER DERBY The Aloha City Rollers are recruiting new players and referees for league play in the West Oahu area. All men and women ages18-50 are welcome to learn and compete in this fun team sport. Call 454-3847 or visit 808derby.com.
* MASTERS SWIM The Veterans Memorial Aquatic Center has launched a U.S. Masters swimming program, meeting at 7 p.m. each Monday and Wednesday at Central Oahu Regional Park. Call Ruthie Heuton at 677-8510.
* SLACK KEY Yameen Fong conducts beginner slack-key guitar classes from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Thursdays at Ewa Beach Community Park on North Road. The course consists of four sessions, and students should bring their own guitars. For more information, call 685-6035 evenings or visit fongsmusic.homestead.co m. * EWA CERT The Ewa Beach Emergency Preparedness Committee is working to organize Community Emergency Preparedness Teams (CERT) to train residents in how to respond to a disaster. To request training or offer help, call chairman Donald Harlor at 682-0111.