West Oahu Highlights
Send West Oahu items by fax to 585-6324 or email firstname.lastname@example.org by May 8 to be considered for the May 15 edition.
* TRADE FORUM Hawaii Chamber of Commerce sponsors a Business & Trade Forum and Workshop, “Invest Philippines! Asia’s Next Economic Tiger,” from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. May 7 at FilCom Center with speakers, panel, counseling and exhibits. Fee is $20 at the door, including lunch and notepad. Register at filcom.org or call 371-3902.
* LIBRARY KEIKI Pearl City Library has a Preschool Storytime at 9:30 a.m. May 8, and Puzzletime at 9:30 a.m. May 9. Call 453-6566.
* BLOOD Hawaii Blood Bank has donor drives from 8:45 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. May 8 at Youth Challenge Academy in Kapolei, 8:30 a.m.-2:45 p.m. May 9 at Aiea High library, 7 a.m.-1:45 p.m. May 11 at Kapolei Shopping Center, and 7:30 a.m.-1:45 p.m. May 16 at Aulani resort (Ka Ala III and IV). Call 848-4770.
* NEIGHBORS Ewa Neighborhood Board meets at 7 p.m. May 9 at Ewa Mahiko District Park on Renton Road; the Aiea board meets at 7:30 p.m. May 13 at Aiea Library. Call 768-3710.
* CYCLING TIPS Hawaii Bicycling League instructors run a Commuter Cycling 101 class from 1 to 3 p.m. May 11 at Leeward Community College’s Learning Commons. Topics are safe practices, cyclist rights, rules of the road, equipment safety checks, lane positioning and more, including practice drills outside and a group ride. Space is limited. Call 735-5756 or visit hbl.org.
* SCREENINGS Sam’s Club Pearl City (and elsewhere) offers free weight and skin health screenings from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. May 11 at its pharmacy. Call 456-7788.
* GRAFTING Urban Garden Center sponsors a hands-on grafting workshop from 9 a.m. to noon May 11 at 955 Kamehameha Hwy. Fee is $15. Call 453-6050. Also planned: haku lei wristlet making, a mini plant sale, UH seed sale, garden tours and a plant clinic.
* DON’T FALL Kaiser Permanente physical therapists present a free program at 10 a.m. May 13 on “Fall Prevention Among Older Adults: Strategies for preparing yourself and your home” at its Waipio Clinic, 94-1480 Moaniani St. Call 432-2235.
* END OF LIFE Kaiser Permanente offers a free class on “Advance Directives” for families and their loves ones at 10 a.m. May 14 at its Waipio Clinic, 94-1480 Moaniani St. The class examines the forms needed so survivors know your specific wishes at time of death. Call 432-2260.
* STAGE KIDS Performing Arts Center of Kapolei has an intermediate and advance tap dance course, meeting at 5:30 p.m. Tuesdays, May 14-June 18, at Kapolei High School Forum. A variety of summer courses also are planned. Call 638-8015.
* RAIN BARRELS Halawa Xeriscape Garden has a rain barrel catchment workshop at 10:30 a.m. May 18 at 99-1268 Iwaena St. Fee is $35. Call 748-5363.
* GARDEN CLASS Oahu Resource Conservation and Development Council and Pioneer HiBred sponsor a gardening workshop on vegetables and herbs at 9 a.m. May 18 at Pioneer’s research facility in Kunia. Donation is $5. Call 622-9026.
* AIEA BOOK CLUB The Aiea Book Club meets at 6:30 p.m. June 6 at the Aiea Library to discuss Katherine Govier’s The Printmaker’s Daughter. Email email@example.com.
* ZUMBA Kaiser Permanente has a Zumba class at 5:30 p.m. Monday and Wednesday, now through June 17 at its Waipio Clinic. Fee is $6.50 per class for non-members. Call 432-2260.
* YOGA Holistic Energy Yoga classes meet at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday-Friday at Momilani Community Center. Fee is $10 per class. Call 381-4376.
* FOOTBALL USO Athletic Club is signing up players in grades 5-8 for tackle football (no weight limit) and grades 1-4 for flag football (Jr. Prep league). Coaches also are needed. Call Leilani at 275-6134.
* MCC MARKET The Momilani Farmers Market at Momilani Community Center offers about 20 vendors plus a new family activity from 3 to 7 p.m. Fridays at 715 Hoomoana St. Call Kasey at 341-0568.
* MAKEKE KAPOLEI Kapolei High School has a farmers’ and green market, Makeke Kapolei, from 3 to 6:30 p.m. each Thursday in the school parking lot, offering more than 30 vendors with locally grown produce, prepared foods, plants, arts and crafts, demonstrations and cultural presentations. Co-sponsors are Malama Learning Center and Waianae Coast Comprehensive Health Center. Call 697-3599.
* EWA MARKET A Mahiku Farmers Market is open from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sundays at The Waterfront at Pu’uola, 5105 Iroquois Ave. Call 225-4002.
* WAIPIO MARKET Kaiser Waipio Clinic has a Fresh Days Farmers Market from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Wednesdays at 94-1480 Moaniani St. Call 432-2260.
* EWA MART Ewa Beach Shopping Center and Lay Farms sponsor a farmers market from 7 a.m. to 3 or 4 p.m. daily; the Serendipitous Gardener from 2 to 7 p.m. Wednesdays and 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturdays; and The Bread of Life from 2 to 6 p.m. Mondays and Tuesdays.
* OPEN MARKET Prince Kuhio Community Center has an open market from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. May 11 and June 8 at 91-1270 Kinoiki St. in Kapolei, near the Hawaiian Home Lands building. Call 780-6082, 394-0050 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* CITY MARKETS The People’s Open Market sells produce on Tuesdays from 6:30 to 7:30 a.m. at Waiau District Park and 8:15 to 9:15 a.m. at Waipahu District Park; Fridays 7-8 a.m. to Halawa District Park and 9-10 a.m. at Ewa Beach Community Park; Sundays 7-8:30 a.m. at Kapolei Community Park, 9:30-11 a.m. at Royal Kunia Park-n-Ride and 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. at Waikele Community Park. Call 522-7088.
* VEGGIE COOKS Down to Earth offers free vegetarian cooking classes at 4 and 5:30 p.m. Wednesdays at its Kapolei store, and at 5:30 p.m. on the first and third Monday at its Pearlridge store. Call 947-3249.
* ZUMBA Pinoy Crew 808 leads Zumba classes at 6:30 p.m. Wednesdays and Fridays at FilCom Center. Fee is $5 per session. Call 680-0451.
* STRIDERS The Leeward Stroller Strides group meets at 8:45 a.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays at Central Oahu Regional Park, offering a fitness walk for moms and tots in strollers. Fee is $60 a month. A Kapolei group meets at 8:45 a.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Call 398-6275.
* HULA No Kealoha O Hula leads hula classes Wednesday nights in Waipahu, with beginners at 6 and intermediate students at 7:10 p.m. Call Desiree at 478-0404.
* ROLLER DERBY The Aloha City Rollers are recruiting new players and referees for league play in the West Oahu area. All men and women ages18-50 are welcome to learn and compete in this fun team sport. Call 454-3847 or visit 808derby.com.
* BOXING BOXFIT808 in Aiea has a Women-Only Boxing Class Wednesdays at 6:30 p.m. Call 256-1770 or visit boxfit808.com.
* STAR SIGHTINGS Ko Olina hosts “Stars Above Hawaii,” an astronomical star show at 8, 9 and 10 nightly by reservation at 291-2464.